Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trail dog training
  • andyuk86
    Free Member

I’ve been attempting to train my spaniel to be a good trail dog. She has only just turned 1 so I’m still keeping the millage fairly low. I’ve done a number of xc rides in the Cotswolds with her so there has been lots of space and she has been able to avoid my bike fairly easily.

Took her to the Forest of Dean last weekend to start training her on actual trails. On the whole she did really well, I didn’t run her over, managed to start getting her to follow me rather than be out in front although we did overtake quite a few people and her etiquette in that situation is lacking.

Does anyone have any advice/tips about trail dog training?

chrism110
    Free Member

There was an article on pink bike about training your dog few weeks ago I’ve saved the page but not sure how to post the link from my phone

mark88

Here’s the Pinkbike post. Something I’d love to do in the future so always watch threads like this with interest. There has been a few posts about it on here in the past.

andyuk86
    Free Member

Ah great thanks guys! That article makes me feel like I’ve been doing the right thing.

She has so much fun coming out on rides with me. I’m also riding up hill about twice as fast as I normally would, trying to keep up with the scamp!

DezB
    Free Member

Try keeping up with the dog on a night ride! Then you feel FAST 🙂

I avoid taking my dog where there’s likely to be a number of other riders. Especially if they’re STW users, who will come on here and have a right-ol whinge.

Tracey

When we were training Fin we found it better when there were no other distractions, most of the time she runs on the left of whoever is in front but had a tendency to pull on shoe laces so she now wears a mussel to stop her doing that. Took her out every night local so she got used to the commands. Keep an eye on the pads as some trails are harsh. Tyres don’t tend to hurt them so a gentle nudge keeps them away, rotors on the other hand can do a fair bit of damage.
    She enjoys every minute of it.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Spaniels a bit too nose driven for this i reckon. I really struggled with one of mine to stop her bolting after any interesting scent.
    Best ever one was a Superman of the edge at Thrunton woods one afternoon. I was admiring the view at one of the park benches and something took her fancy causing her to bound over the edge. Took a 12 foot drop and carried on of through the undergrowth. The other dog and myself just had a seat and waited for her to return. No point wasting breath shouting at that point.

Stranga
    Free Member

Had no problems with my irish terrier just a couple of solo rides to make sure he ran behind the bike and that he was focussed on me and not any other riders.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Loving that Tracey, I suspect that the shoe lace thing is her giving you the “hurry up”.

DezB
    Free Member

Spaniels a bit too nose driven for this i reckon

Nose driven? If I can train a GSP..! 😉

andyuk86
    Free Member

Excellent pictures, Tracey!

I’ve found that my spaniel is more interested in staying with us on rides rather than spending time with her nose to the ground. That’s not to say she wouldn’t bolt after a bird, should one catch her attention! She had a lot of admirers on our last ride, more concerned about people stealing her rather than my bike!

steviegil
    Free Member

Uphillcursing – I agree they are a bit of a loose cannon but Sona(pictured) just loves it!!

Top of the fire tower trails in Argyll last week

squoglybob
    Free Member

Try washing up liquid on your laces, my border terrier used to go for mine, she had a right field day when I replaced them to Velcro and ratchet straps, I took them off daubed fairly liquid on them and left them outside and she tried them but never came near them again.

legend
    Free Member

Tip 6 in the Pinkbike article is key – the dog should always be following, in front or beside is just waitin for an accident (I’ve had run ins with apparent “trail dogs” because of this)

Mugboo

My working cocker spaniel follows whoever is in front. The hardest part was stopping him grabbing the lead if I slowed down!
    I keep it under 10 miles, as he doesn’t have ‘had enough’ button..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trail dog training’ is closed to new replies.