Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trail Dog Training?
  • Blower
    Free Member

how to train a dog up so it dunt get in the way?
    as we have new shredder with us,but he likes to be 2nd or in the middle of the pack and gets in the way 😀 ??

sandwicheater

I spent days riding up and down a private road with numerous treats (it will do anything for food). Teaching it to stay to my left when we stop (in case we are on a road) and to heal when commanded. Time well spent as she will come to my heal if we’ve stopped or bombing down a trail. Handy to have a release word so it knows it can tear off if it wants.

scruff
    Free Member

I took mine along the canal towpath, they can run forwards and backwards but not sideways. I also rode into him a few times, they soon learn not to get so close to the front wheel. I taught mine ‘behind’ which is most useful on faster singletrack.

Drac

With my previous trail hounds once they’d been under the front wheel a couple of times they soon learnt.

Blower
    Free Member

hmm right so the little blighter needs to take a hit then 🙂 😉

not my dog but sounds like a plan ha

Drac

Yeah seemed to work but wasn’t on purpose they just run around stupid at first a bit confused but soon learn to chase. The border terrier learnt very fast but suppose it’s in their nature, the lab took a bit longer and was a case of getting dragged under the bike before she learnt. Not took my new Border terrier out yet.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Depends a bit on the dog too.
    Dog 1 likes to be in a similar position, so she is placed on the wheel of the lead rider, Dog 2 likes to take up the rear so she gets that position.

The training tips above still count, but it is easier to train them in to their natural place, rather than trying to enforce a position. Luckily Dog 1 is a flyer so she keeps tight on the wheel when we are going at speed.

Both ours still need work on the road – will follow sandwicheaters advice. And yes, they do learn when they get clipped by a wheel, but it is hard to let yourself do it (better done under some control than waiting for it to happen at full speed).

scruff
    Free Member

Nah, you cant ride into your dog on porpoise, just let it happen naturally 😉 My dog weighs 40kg and it was like hitting a brick wall, I went OTB like a sack of spuds both times, he was fine apart from the tyre marks up his back.

Andy-R

sandwicheater – Member
    I spent days riding up and down a private road with numerous treats. Teaching it to heal when commanded.

I wish I had a dog that would do that – it would save those tiresome trips to hospital.

2hottie
    Free Member

Brian rides, just behind the rear mech, seems to prefer the right hand side to. Trained him on the fire roads at Gisburn By tapping him with the front wheel when going slower than walking pace. Worked 99% of the time. also used words like away and he would move out from the back wheel and drop back

ton

Blower, give the dogs owner a left hook into his dopey ferking earhole….he might stop bringing it out with you…. 😀

Sandwich

You’ll need a good supply of children’s faces and a pooh bag fairy!

Blower
    Free Member

ton – Member

Blower, give the dogs owner a left hook into his dopey ferking earhole….he might stop bringing it out with you….

he had many a bollockings on Saturday Tony off me 😆

crezzy

I’ve trained mine by getting her to follow me when Im on the quad ,she’s stays close but is intimidated by quad so doesn’t get to close which has transferred well to when I’m on mtb ,her been a collie and me an ex shepherd has help because before her I had trained up myself two working dogs

duir
    Free Member

Making yourself very clearly “pack leader” helps a lot. Use a harsh sound whenever the dog tries to go in front of you (or the rest of the pack)or does something undesirable. If required physically block it from going in front and over a period of time it will work out what you want it to do. Conversely make a really nice sound whenever the dog is alongside you or behind and doing what you want. I find that using harsh, medium or really nice versions of the word “here” work really well as required but you could use any word you like. Don’t forget to release them from the word now and then with a different word to give them a break.

Takes tonnes of practice and patience and most dogs start out only being able to do as you ask for short periods. Build that up over time and sooner or later they will start being obedient but before any of this you have to have a bombproof recall (when they come back to you when called). I never use treats as I want them to do things out of respect for me rather than for a tit bit.

According to the experts, dogs are rarely disobedient, they just don’t understand what you want them to do!

stomlinson
    Free Member

I love riding with my dog when just me and him hit up the trails, can get him to follow no problem but depends on the trail I am riding to where I want him to be if the trail has loose rocks don’t really want him behind with rocks flying everywhere, the only problem I have is he is quite an aggressive dog over the ground and it can damage his pads

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trail Dog Training?’ is closed to new replies.