Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Trail Cycle Leader Kit
  • Dogsby

Any other Trail Cycle Leaders out there? I have done the course and am setting myself up for the assessment. I am trying to find a day sac that will hold all of the required kit and is comfy. Does anyone have recommendations?

Dogsby

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My Dakine did the job fine- whats your kit list and where are you doing the course?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Deuter Alpine 30 litre sac?

Where are you doing the assessment?

Dogsby

I am doing the assessment in the Lakes in Mar. I used to think that I carried a bit of kit but after doing the course I realised that I would be carrying a 30l daysac at least. I have a KIMM sac which is about the right size but it is getting a bit tired and needs replacing. I will have a look at the Deuter. Cheers

Dogsby

miketually
    Free Member

If you like your KIMM, they’re still available as OMM.

Dogsby

I like the KIMM as it has good external storage and is light-weight. Mine is an old one and has the hydration pocket on the side which can make it a bit lop-sided. I will look at the OMM.

Dogsby

Dogsby

Thanks for the advice. I am off now until tomorrow so please do not think that I am ignoring you. Thanks again.

Dogsby

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Make a list (and post it on here) of what you intend to take.

I was looking at bags earlier for my Mountain Bike Leader Training and about 25l looks ideal. For TCL, you won’t need an excessive amount of kit.

Dogsby

Okay, I am carrying the following:

Waterproof trousers and jacket
    Micro fleece
    4 Man group-shelter
    1st Aid kit
    Spare socks, arm and leg warmers, buff
    Whistle, torch.
    Camelbak bladder
    Mobile telephone
    Truflo Evolution pump
    Tool kit. This is in a fold up wash bag thing, one of the ones that you hang up. It contains:

2 x tubes
    Shock pump
    Multi tool
    Park patches
    CO2 canister (large)
    Gerber
    Adjustable spanner
    Small Lube
    Tyre levers x 2
    Spoke key
    Set of allen keys
    Zip ties
    Super glue
    Note pad and pencil
    Bag of assorted nuts, bolts, screws, bar end plugs etc…

That is about it.

There is nothing luxurious in there I do not think and I can get it all (less the bladder) in a 20l dry bag inside my daysack which leaves a bit of room just in case.

Dogsby

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’d remove the shock pump, Co2 canister, superglue and group shelter.

Add gaffa tape (length wrapped around pump or seatpost)
    Add survival bag (TCL routes must be within 30 minutes walk from shelter with means of communication)

Replace torch with headtorch (hands free for first aid/bike repairs)

s8tannorm
    Free Member

Keep the group shelter…getting someone with a broken leg into a survival bag isn’t fun and keeping a group together in one shelter keeps them happier. Gaffa tape is a must, I’ve patched up more shin/leg injurys with gaffa tape than with anything else.

Dogsby

Having had a fork dump its air after a hard hit I would not feel safe without the shock pump. I have a length of tape in the tool kit. I did have a headtorch but it kept getting turned on in the bag so I am holding out for a new petzl one-some secret shopping is required!! I know that there is no real requirement for the shelter under TCL but my intention is to start working towards my MBL as soon as my TCL is complete so getting used to carrying the kit is no bad thing and it is far more capable than a bag. I have carried all of the kit on the rides for my logbook and it is fine weight-wise.

Dogsby

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

If your forks dump air, and you can hen refill them you are very lucky. However, most of the kit is designed to get you home- neither a fork or shock losing all air pressure would stop you from getting home safely on TCL terrain.

For headtorches, the Alpkit one beats many twice the price- only £13 or so?

Can accept that many people can justify a group shelter.

Depending on who does your course, too much of the wrong kit and you’ll be marked down.

StirlingCrispin

I qualified a good few years ago and have done some training with groups in the wild. Haven’t done too much recently though.

Anyway, I’d say spare gloves too.
    (And check the kids have what they’ve been told to bring!)
    I’ve never used a CO2 pump and wouldn’t bother with a shock pump so leave them out. Would shove a spare gear cable in and spare brake pads – depending on what the group’s bikes are like. I also carry a range of tyre levers – the VAR425 is recommended for tight tyres.
    Would also pack some polo mints.
    The most problems I’ve had have generaly been from the youth leaders – unfit and with no bike skills!

Dogsby

SC

I assume that you are on about V brake pads as opposed to discs? I know that the CO2 thing is a bit of a luxury and I have been meaning to put a spare cable in so thanks.

Are the polos in case we meet a horse that needs calming down?!!??

Dogsby

daveob
    Free Member

The course I did insisted on a group shelter, so keep it! As for CO2, I carry that as well. I have been out with groups and had several punctures – use a standard pump to get the volume and CO2 to get the pressure. It beats having a group cooling down and getting PO’d waiting

karnali
    Free Member

hi
    i hve my mbl from my exp i would scrap the following

waterproof trousers (maybe put in waterproof shorts if you have them and its a wet day)
    c02 cartridge
    set of allen keys (if your multitool has them) maybe carry a spare 5mm
    micro fleece (you have in arm and leg warmers and a jacket and buff)

add in
    tyre boot (piece of toothpaste tube)
    spare gear cable

remmeber you will need food and some kind of spa food (jelly sweets or something similar)

hope that helps

who are you doing your assement with and whats in your first aid kit??

GavinB

You need to carry food for yourself, emergency food for the group, water, some spare clothes for cold clients. Keep the spares to the essential.

Other than that your list looks pretty good. I’ve done TCL and MBL using a Camelbak Havoc (or whatever one they do thats pretty big). It was fine for TCL, but a little stretched for MBL once I’d added all the spares and food!

thomthumb
    Free Member

what about one of those universal dérailleur hangers?

StirlingCrispin

V-brakes. But if the group are all using the same bikes (as often happens if they’re supplied by the centre) then a set of disc pads won’t go astray.

My first day of tutoring was with a group of 8-11 yr olds. Snow started to fall when we were 30 mins from the minibus. So, we turned round and headed back. Both leaders were frozen by the time we got to the bus and one of the kids was in tears he was so cold. So, we had our sandwiches and warmed up. As snow was lying on the ground we couldn’t go back out – because the insurance wouldn’t cover us, so we drove back to the base. One of the kids wet himself, and another kid had a knife so we had to stop and confiscate that. Then we spent 3hrs in the pouring rain doing skills sessions in the playground – the kids were warm as they were cycling around and around, while we had to stand and just put the obstacles back together. I was frozen solid by the end of the day.
    And some of the kids even said "thank you" when they went home.

Wrap up warm!

Have also had groups where some spoke no English and hadn’t even ridden a bike before.

Always a good laugh though 🙂

bikey
    Free Member

Hey dogsby
    I see you live in Gosport aswell. Do you ride out locally much? If you do and you fancy someone to ride with give me a shout.

Matt

Dogsby

Matt,

I am in Lee. We are heading out this weekend to do the South Downs Way for a few hours if you are interested. The intention is to drive to Winchester for about 0800, cycle East along the SDW for about 1.5 hrs and then turn around and back to the car-park. I have never done the SDW before so am keen to go and have a look. I try to get out at the weekends when I can but as you will know there is not a great deal around us as far as I can tell but I am fairly new here. I have done some of the Trail Break events at Queen Elizabeth Country Park and Shackleford.

Dogsby

Dogsby

I always consider what the worst scenario is likely to be and things like a complete water-proof suit (jacket and trousers) are essentials. They do not take up much room and me staying relatively dry whilst dealing with a casualty (bike or person) whilst the remainder are under cover (group shelter)seems to make sense. I know that under TCL I cannot stray more than 30mins from access but a lot can happen in 30 mins on a hill of the weather turns. Also the kit is not necessarily for me.

I have some toothpaste tube in and a spare gear cable is on the list.

Very interesting to hear about other people’s experiences though and a bag of Jelly Babies is definitely going in.

The 1st aid kit is a work in progress and is generally dressings, tape, scissors, triangular bandage, plasters, steri-strips, a crepe bandage and a few other bits. The main problem is deciding what not to take. I am not sure if I need an official kit or whether a made up one is sufficient. My TCL instructor had both but this might have been an insurance issue.

Dogsby

StirlingCrispin

I’ve seen guys with inflatable splints and more bandages than the local A&E dept in their first aid kit, but in my experience a first aid kit is really for no purpose other than emotional support and to stop the victim bleeding over everyone and every thing.

Anything more than that and it’s a trip to hospital or a phone call to the mountain rescue.

And to further support Dogsby in his approach, 30 minutes on a bike is a very long way when limping!

(Be warned; Jelly Babies contain gelatin and this may upset vegetarians – and Hindus, Jews etc. I’d stick to polos.)
    Ribena in a flask is also worth considering.

CB

stevomcd
    Free Member

30 minutes on a bike is a very long way when limping!

TCL remit is no more than 30mins WALK from a road.

Agree with previous posts BTW, 25-30l pack is about right for TCL or MBL (I use my DaKine or Backcountry Access snowboard packs). Take the group shelter, the various people I did my TCL and MBL with all regarded it as essential.

First Aid kit, take a couple of BIG dressings (MoD field dressings are great if you can get hold of them), some tape to hold them on with, triangular bandage and (from personal experience!) some steri-strips. Most other stuff is a waste of time. What’s the point in antiseptic or plasters on a mountain bike ride? Any minor cut that you can deal with using those is not going to be a ride-ender, so you’re going to carry on, the plaster is going to come off and the cut is going to get full of crud again. Just deal with it back at base.

Interestingly, I cut my arm on a ride last summer and taped a dressing on only to find out I’m (mildly) allergic to the tape.

bikey
    Free Member

Dogsby: thanks for the reply. I am always up for riding out with like minded people. Tell me more about the ride you have planned for the SDW at the weekend. Can you mail me at mattfit at hotmail dot com ?

Matt

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Trail Cycle Leader Kit’ is closed to new replies.