Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Trail centres – wrong way days
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

Why don’t trail centres run wrong way days? Ie do all circuits in reverse. It would be great, completely new trails for the cost of a few removable signs

stumpy01

Nah. The trails are designed to flow in a certain way, so don’t necessarily work in reverse.

Years ago I did the Gold Rush at CyB and the start section went the wrong way along one of the trails. It was rubbish. Couldn’t get a rythmn and a flow, it was just frustrating and pretty hard work.

Would be good if they designed them from the outset though to work in both directions!

njee20
    Free Member

Because most are designed to be interesting in a certain direction and have features such as dull fireroad climbs with the odd steep technical section, which become fireroad descents and unrideable climbs…

glupton1976
    Free Member

That’s what night riding is for.

GT and Inners reds are better the other way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hope you move when people come the right way round…

I met someone going the wrong way round Kirrochtree, even telling him it would be unpleasant going that way against a few hundred riders he was adamant it was the way to go according to his book. He must have been from in here.

There are a few climbs that will make (do make) good descents for novelty factor but the rest is probably like following old MRB routes, endless climbs you wished you descended with the odd descent that was a bit meh

qwerty
    Free Member

Because if group A set off at 23:45 on Saturday & and group B set off at 00:15 on Sunday they’d meet head on.

Toasty

Because if group A set off at 23:45 on Saturday & and group B set off at 00:15 on Sunday they’d meet head on.

Group A would now be travelling the wrong direction though, they’ve have to awkwardly turn around on the trail and continue!

Klunk
    Free Member

penmachno loop 2 would be practically the same the other way around.

soobalias
    Free Member

pffft, if i was in group A i would be finished and in the pub before last orders.

andytherocketeer

In England, you’d be able to get in last orders and then have plenty of time to be in group A to ride off the alcohol.

Backwards round a 1 way loop sounds daft, but the wrong way up a rocky descent might be fun. Up a rocky red, down a flowy blue?

Toasty

I’d be game for the downlift days. Ride to the top, get a lift back down to start again.

patriotpro
    Free Member

GT and Inners reds are better the other way.

Spooky Woods is better doing it in reverse? As if, I was knackered the last time i pushed back up 😉

Toasty – Member
    I’d be game for the downlift days. Ride to the top, get a lift back down to start again.

Cwmdown would have the name right form the off then. btw – that is a bonkers idea. 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

That’s what night riding is for.

Some stuff at Dalby is brilliant the wrong way around (at night of course).

The-Beard

We used to ride bits of Mabie the other way round before the 7 stanes came into being. Still find it odd occasionally.

Vinte
    Free Member

The north Face Trail climb is quite good the wrong way. I’ve done that a few times (at night). I also regularly ride Billinge Woods both ways on the CX bike but it is usually very quiet there.

Northwind

There are some climbs that make lovely descents. Very few descents that make lovely climbs (though, pie run at glentress is interesting as a climb, not that i can get up it all)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

First climb on the NFT would be a great descent – often thought that… Probably the best descent on the NFT 😉

greeble
    Free Member

cwmcarn backwards is ace. massive long flowing rooty descent.

gwaelod
    Free Member

FFS

don’t be silly – it would be like riding the wrong way round a velodrome

your bottom bracket and pedals would unscrew themselves

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We ride most our local trail network in both directions day and night. Daytime reverse-direction at trail centres is a nono. Night time OK as you can see lights coming miles off. Normal passing rules apply: downhill has priority

robj20
    Free Member

Gisburn wouldnt be much fun, The slab and Hope Line would be very dull.

richmtb

(though, pie run at glentress is interesting as a climb, not that i can get up it all)

I think the “start” would be challenging especially the black line!

Mabie would work okay I think.

Caddon bank at Inners would be a challenging climb! But the descent off Minch Moor would be good.

I think Fort Bill XC course you would struggle to notice the difference

Northwind

Yeah, it’s hard enough getting up the easiest one never mind the black one 🙂

richmtb – Member

But the descent off Minch Moor would be good.

They used that as a stage in the gravity enduro, it was absolutely ****. Barely any gradient, and the surface sucks the speed away, and… Well, nothing else really, just dull. Might as well just pedal round a car park.

patriotpro
    Free Member

(though, pie run at glentress is interesting as a climb, not that i can get up it all)

You mean you can’t climb up the drop-off at the end of pie-run…Pffft

honourablegeorge

qwerty – Member

What if the trail centre is on a conveyor belt?

Northwind

patriotpro – Member

You mean you can’t climb up the drop-off at the end of pie-run…Pffft

I might be able to, with a ladder. Or a 27.5 Orange Five.

Vinte
    Free Member

[Gisburn wouldnt be much fun, The slab and Hope Line would be very dull]

The descent from the Slab is quite good. Climbing up the slab on the other hand not so much 😯

Vinte
    Free Member

How do you quote?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Stainburn Black in reverse would be quite a feat.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

The best way up to the top of the short downhills that drop into the skills area at Lee Quarry is back up the easiest (most eastwards) red downhill track.

Need a quiet day/night though 😉

mcnultycop

I’ve nearly crashed into someone who was coming the wrong way up the final descent at Lee, from the rock garden to the cattle grid.

Scary. To be fair he didn’t know he was going the wrong way until I politely told him.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Lee Quarry is an either way trail anyway, the race courses seem to be made either way, even if they are impossible unless you wear lycra and SPD’s.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

penmachno loop 2 would be practically the same the other way around.

crap and underwater?

Northwind

buzz-lightyear – Member

Normal passing rules apply: downhill has priority

Eh… Seriously? People going the wrong way should get out of the way!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Glupton has an uncanny knack of being faster on climbs than descents. So it makes sense for him to them the other way round.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Aye and that’s got nothing to do with me ascending quickly.

br
    Free Member

+1 night ride.

And once you’ve lights on it’s pretty obvious if someone is coming from the other way.

And where they’ve now re-opened the Innerleithen climb is dying to be ran backwards.

trout
    Free Member

Gisburn wouldnt be much fun, The slab and Hope Line would be very dull.

And Hully Gully would be a bit of a slog

Tom-B
    Free Member

Follow Yer Dad at Cannock is pretty good ridden backwards. Not tried the Munkey yet.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I used to ride most of Llandegla backwards at 6am a couple of times a week.
    It’s a different sort of rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Trail centres – wrong way days’ is closed to new replies.