Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Trail centres – what are they good for?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sort of like track days

Yes. This

nickc

different type of fun altogether…

[chorus] different type of fun[chorus/]

Things I love: my GF can enjoy them, knowing she can probably get a short cut or go round at her own pace, work on her skills on stuff that’s there specifically for bikes, there’s generally a cafe, I can switch off my navigation brain off, I don’t generally have to worry about walkers, horses, all that crap. They are pretty much always in good condition regardless of the weather or time of year, if I make a weekend of it, then I’m genuinely putting money in a local community that wouldn’t have it otherwise ( last weekend went to CYB, and must have spent > £100 in local shops pubs and cafes.

rocketman
    Free Member

Sort of like track days

+1

The only other place I ride apart from Cannock is natural mid-Wales. Even though I know the area quite well, everytime I go it takes me a few rides to adjust and realise I can’t cane it everywhere all the time.

By the same token when I get back to Cannock people are passing me in droves 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They are predictably fun. This is most important when the condition of non-purpose-built trails is poor

I especially like built corners.

Scapegoat

Yep, they definitely have a place. The old bloke geting his confidence back, (that’s me that is) to the young dudes making a fun day out, to families, to all sorts of people who wouldn’t otherwise be out riding.

I love them to bits if I’m in the right mood, as much as I love plotting something on Garmin and going out and exploring. But, I can’t remember the last time I spent more than a few minutes carrying or pushing at a trail centre, whereas I can remember a couple of rides earlier this year where I carried the bloody thing all round Calderdale for half a day in order to ride falter and stutter my way down about ten minutes of terrifying uebertechy nonsense.

In terms of manmade versus natural, well, I use the term Organic…. still manmade, but with less input for those who buy on looks alone…..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Trail centres – what are they good for?

Getting away from the people who are ‘keeping it real’ ploughing through bogs whilst wearing neon lycra and stopping to have to odd tommy tank over the idea of a cross bike.

peterfile
    Free Member

I just like riding bikes tbh. Even the stuff behind Nationwide puts a smile on my face 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Variety

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s all riding bikes innit?

Skate parks, urban, mountains, canal towpaths, beaches, Coed Y Brenin and sheep tracks.

It’s all good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your lucky if you have the option to choose, here we have limited access to ‘legal’ trails and the ones that are open are limited in length (despite the good work of the HKMBA).

Had a lovely chat to a couple of lads taking a Santa Cruz Bullit and another bike I can’t remember up the mid-levels escalators the other day!

They were bemoaning the lack of trails, but really not sure what action they were going to get up by Conduit Road! 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

First ride at a trail centre in 2 years on Saturday and was good fun. Even if not on the usual choice of bike 😉
    I like the social riding thing at them, then the solo stuff with your own thoughts on local trails and in the hills 🙂

Some waffle here i tried to explain

http://coastkid.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/surly-krampug-at-glentress.html

br
    Free Member

good places to go night-riding when the weather is crap, and you can also ride the ‘wrong’ way round 🙂

Drac

Ambulance drivers must really love frequenting them too.
    As I always see them either there or just leaving.

I’ve never seen an Ambulance driver. 😡

twistedpencil

Was turning my back on them until I’ve started riding Phillips Park with my little boy, they’re fun and watching his skills develop on the blue trials has been great. An Indian summer and we may hit ‘degla.

I like trail centres. They keep all the dull, unimaginative people off my bridleways.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They’re a good way to introduce new riders to cycling on smooth trails. Basically a step up from road riding. They also keep the less experienced riders away from the proper “mountain biking” (yes there is such a thing!) trails.

I was thinking the other day, a few of the more popular trail centres around the country could offer to “sign off” riders who they deem capable enough. something like, completing the balck run with no dabs in under a set time, then fixing a puncture and servicing a set of forks afterwards. After this, they’d be free to go and ride proper mountain bike trails in the knowledge they’d be good enough to handle it if they got into a sticky situation.

cozz
    Free Member

they are mainly for audi drivers to drive an hour to get there, take bike off back of said audi, do a killer 4 mile loop, then stop off for a slice of cake, then drive home, only to stop at a country pub to have a quick pint while their bike gets nicked from the bike rack on back of car

chip
    Free Member

Ambulance drivers must really love frequenting them too.
    As I always see them either there or just leaving.
    I’ve never seen an Ambulance driver.

See one yesterday at swinley.
    One the last time I was there, and three there the time before, when there was also a fire engine in attendance, so there was defiantly a fire engine driver there too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mostly Balanced – Member
    Plus one for Swinley. 24.5 miles there last Tuesday left my legs feeling like they would after 40+ miles of local trails in the current dryish conditions.

The place certainly makes you pedal a lot while having very little elevation. Especially the classic ‘Stickler’, flat with berms you have to pedal hard to get the speed to rail round. Not exactly what berms were designed for but anyway 😉 . Just a shame the descents are minimal and the hard pack is so damn bumpy. Riding it on a hard tail is hard work and bone shaking. Hard tail in the Surrey Hills is soft by comparison. A full sus is odd at Swinley as the average full sus seen there is a big All Mountain rig but not set up at all for the small fine cobble like surface. Great for bounding over rocks and roots, but not Swinley 😉 . Still I prefer to take the hard tail to Swinley just to build up my skills, get me out of the seat, and get an arm workout. Pays off on the full sus.

The real purpose of Swinley though is to fund Bracknell Council in parking fees and fines, and keep Frimley hospital staff occupied.

chestrockwell

Trail centres are good fun.
    Natural trails are good fun.
    Playing out on my bike is good fun.

I wish I was street enough to slag off one or the other but I’m not. I’m also not ‘hardcore’ enough to only have a hardtail, and have never had a Cotic. 😳 😥

bikeind
    Free Member

Ahhhh I love what trail centres are now and how they have evolved

Llandegla been the ultimate favourite you can’t beat it

Cafes and bike shops which make it appealing for me too

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My theory is that those who knock trail centres can’t actually ride a bike very well. Instead they potter around on muddy bridleways taking in the views and enriching their soul 😉

chip
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have many woods local too me but mostly flat and squeaky bum moments are few and far between. But I really enjoy riding them and generally will make a day of it spending five or so hours pootleing around them.

Where as swinley is more of a thrill and although is hardly redbull rampage is as safe or scary as you want to make it simply by how much you stay of the brakes.
    I don’t see this army of mythical Audi drivers.
    I see old, young, fat, thin, entire families.
    Fives, enduros, hecklers, Carreras and appollos.

In the car park there is every kind of car from audis with roof mounted bling bikes, to battered Renault clios from which three yoots spring and then pull out three bikes in the some of there parts.

I see people padded up stormtrooper style In full face helmets and googles to Lycra clad chaps some as fit as a fleas others as fat as a butcher to yoots in baseball caps t shirts and baggy jeans with the waist band half way between there butt and there knees.

Basically I see people who have woken up and thought they would ride there bike.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bikeind – Member

Llandegla been the ultimate favourite you can’t beat it

it’s great, apart from the massive, boring climb at the start. Climbing doesn’t have to be dull, or even hard work. There’s no excuse really when it’s both of those things at a purpose-built trail…

Northwind

ahwiles – Member

it’s great, apart from the massive, boring climb at the start…

climbing doesn’t have to be dull, or even hard work.

Yeah, but… If you’ve only got so much budget, it does make sense to spunk it on the descents rather than the climbs. If they’d invested X amount of time and money on the climb there’d be less good stuff going back down.

stewartc
    Free Member

CFH

They were bemoaning the lack of trails, but really not sure what action they were going to get up by Conduit Road

Maybe going for a little spin up to the Peak, that’s what a lot on my HK Island based buddies do to keep fit!
    Mind you, I don’t mind the odd climb up to the Ngong Ping Buddha either, its all riding and tackling these long steep climbs (though tarmaced) all helps to improve your riding.

I can ride the Peak any day I choose and absolutely love all it has to offer, yet I love trail centres too – Llandegla included.

I don’t enjoy riding through flat muddy fields and on road – so I don’t!

epicyclo

DanW – Member
    Good for riding in the middle of winter when you want a ride where you can guarantee most of the trails will be rideable and weather proof rather than explore the more natural stuff and get stuck in most of it….

You’re not trying hard enough….

weeksy

Climbing doesn’t have to be dull, or even hard work. There’s no excuse really when it’s both of those things at a purpose-built trail

Lladeglas is neither. It’s quite nice views and one of the easiest uphill climbs of all TC’s i’ve visited.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Trail centres – what are they good for?’ is closed to new replies.