Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • trail centres
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Having read about the work at Afan got me thinking.

Are there any trails like the old Karrimor or Skyline left at any trail centre? Will they ever be recreated? The virtue of these trails was they held up regardless of the weather, didn’t involve any thought, allowed for a decent few hours riding. etc.

lucien

Yep, the big trail at Nant Yr Arian (sp) and Penmachno (sp) are both very natural, out of the way, not popular etc and well worth the ride.

unklehomered
    Free Member

As above, Machno is pretty weather proof (has to be on that hill) and long and XC in feel, but still have awesome finale to IMO. When the guys at Gisburn turn their eyes to repair work this winter/next year that should see a better level of all weather ness there (it is now, but a bit degraded in places). Stainburn is weather proof, but smaller than what you’re after I suspect.

Northwind

Maybe Glentress black? A couple of challenging bits on the main loop but has a very xc feel if you want it to have (usually we end up charging round the descents but it’s not mandatory)

Syfyyfyfyfyfyfyyyrinrfyfdrd (checks spelling) Syfydrin at Nant is kind of a trail centre loop that suddenly dives out into the country. Lovely. Though no more weatherproof than your average xc ride, and very exposed in places.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve never done it, but what about the big loop at Glentrool?

molgrips
    Free Member

The virtue of these trails was they held up regardless of the weather, didn’t involve any thought, allowed for a decent few hours riding. etc

Isn’t that all trail centres?

ThePinkster

The big loop at Glentrool involves a lot of road work.

mrmo
    Free Member

Isn’t that all trail centres?

read the first bit, like the Karrimor or Skyline.

MrGreedy

Glentrool is all fireroad and a bit of minor roads. Lovely scenery and well worth doing, but no singletrack* so not really what the OP is after.

*Well there is a short blue loop at the centre.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘trail centres’ is closed to new replies.