Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)
  • Trail Centre Vehicle Trends Part 2
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

that santa cruz is gx 12 speed so not bling. must try harder

thenorthwind

I’m clearly not on trend. Despite owning two relatively nice FS bikes, I let myself down by hanging them from a boot rack mounted on a ten year old Alfa Romeo saloon.

I didn’t clock you driving down the A19 or maybe A1 in the north east a month or so ago did I? I remember passing a car which may or may not have been an Alfa Romeo with some bikes attached that were clearly worth much more than the car, by an even greater ratio than mine (4 or 5 to 1).

moonboy
    Free Member

OP. Get ready to lose your shit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayla1
    Free Member

We’ve got a 2003 Ducato and a couple of older bikes- Do we win can we borrow £5?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

“I have a suspicion that many of these T5 owners watched far too much A-Team as kids and are living out their childhood fantasy”.

Yup. And….? I don’t see the issue here.

kayla1
    Free Member

^ that.

Vans are comparatively expensive to insure thirsty cool.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I must admit, i do wonder why anybody cares?

so people can’t get things they like from brands they like?

driving an old Volvo makes you a better person than someone who drives a T5?
    If it works for them?

I mean, you could build a kit car, build your own bike? if you want to be totally away from brands?

somafunk

Hopefully next year i’ll be able to take advantage of a “bling van” to transport my E-Bike so i can attend coffee mornings at trail centres up n’ down the country, i’m currently driving a bog standard but remapped VW Caddy and i feel so out of place these days, a few years ago just the VW badge would allow you preferential right of way trail treatment and free parking along with complimentary cake and coffee.

My dad was meant to retire at xmas (welder/fitter/fabricator for major stainless plant installations) as he’s sick of working at 68 but his boss really didn’t want him to retire so they agreed to a 6 month stay of retirement and move to 3 day working week (he’s bloody good at his job) with a 25% increase in pay. Needless to say he’s quite chuffed with that outcome but his old 2007 ex-rac transit is quite rough as it’s done over 300,000 miles so last week we went looking at Ford Transit Custom M-Sports that he plans to buy once he’s retired, he saw the exact one he liked, i like it too as it kinda reminds me of our old yellow transit we ran about in the 80’s when i raced moto-x, V6 engine from an ex police pursuit ford granada, twin side exit stainless exhausts, big wheels and a black stripe running up the side – aka the bumblebee.

The only difference he would like is two captain style seats in the front rather than the three as pictured.

I can’t wait to pull up in a busy trail centre car park to my reserved disabled parking space (blue badge holder) and drag the ebike from the back and go roost some sweet trails before returning to the trailhead cafe with tales of rad jumps and sick air time – it’s gonna be sweet.

cookeaa

Well of course judgements are made on possessions, displays of wealth and general appearance, and TBF stereotypes tend to some basis in fact/observation…

The real fun here is of course setting the bait and waiting for the IT professionals to bite. predictably what ensues is bit of indignant self justification, telling everyone they’re just Jealous…

Just own it (literally and figuratively), we’re all someone else’s walking Cliché, I get to be a penniless parent, who’s finances only stretch to a knackered Picasso and a 2nd hand HT, it’s OK I’m still part of MTBings rich tapestry, here to be sneered at by Johnny IT in his lifestyle Van, and clearly brimming with Envy… 😉

chestrockwell

Wow the OPs keep net must be bulging the amount of posters on this thread he’s had on the end of his line. Hilarious!

Yep, he’s gonna need a bigger boat!

wfwc
    Free Member

Really very amusing thread but clear some of the contributors need notes:

– Arcteryx (or simply just ‘Arc’ to the genuine faithful) is as ‘new’ as Pat (agonia) is. I.e. not very.
    – One can not be over-biked. It’s just not possible. Why would they sell them to us if we didn’t need them?
    – My A6 Avant Quattro is the perfect car for all occasions except when it isn’t.
    – Cali’s (Oceans/DSG natch – you plebs) rock and anyone that says otherwise is a commie.
    – Literally everyone works in IT innit.

I actually submitted day vans (taking up two spaces) to Singletrack 101 in feb but heard nothing ?:

‘Day vans that take up two spaces. Yep, brilliant, you searched your soul for creativity and bought a T4/T5 and painted it in the Gulf racing, Mystery Machine, Monster Energy Drink etc colours and then stickered the rear with skate brands. What a f**king trailblazer. Then you get there early and set up some little camp in the space next to you so some of us have to park half a mile up the fireroad. My contempt for your selfish actions knows no bounds.’

trailwagger
    Free Member

Cool, I have never been so stereotyped before….

Yes I work in IT.

Yes I drive a white t5

Yes I ride a FS (but only 140mm travel)

Yes I ride almost exclusively at trail centers

Yes, I stay at campsites for the weekend while indulging in my hobby.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Edit as realised it’s not OP’s Volvo – please tell me the Volvo has a T5 engine, would just fit this thread beautifully! If I was looking at a T5 it would be Volvo related for me and not VW.

Have very much let my self down on the van front, 05 plate rusty Transit crew cab – shame as I’ve got the 160mm FS and an E-Bike kicking around! None of that expensive clothing stuff though…

Very much enjoying this thread 🙂

plus-one

Reeled lots in op 😆

Chapeau

rascal
    Free Member

God there are some pricks on here.

wfwc
    Free Member

…surely we’re missing some ‘craft ale’ / Brewdog references?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Of course, aside from the typical middle class yuppies, the working classes have now also bought into lifestyle. 

You can spot this crew a mile off: middle aged yet they still wear skate shoes/baggy jeans/fox racing hooded tops. The van is also “done up” with a similar (lack of) taste: big alloy wheels, body kits, lowering springs etc. Basically anything possible to make it look like a child’s toy, which suits the mental age of the owner perfectly.

And obviously once you’ve spent tens of thousands of pounds on a van, you have to take yourself very seriously. 

moonboy
    Free Member

I got this.

coomber
    Free Member

I dont see many biting, more indifference and bemusement.

Fishing trip not going too well DT?

I’ll have a nibble.

I’m 46, have a pick-up, 160mm bike, wear a bit of Fox, jeans, trainers sometimes. We camped after BPW a few weeks ago.

I also have friends and we have a right laugh. How are you doing on that front?

Oh and act my age? Sod that 🙂

Digby

the working classes have now also bought into lifestyle.

Isn’t this just the continuing proliferation of PCPs etc? – now available on high end luxury items like VW ‘Trannies’!

For the record – I’m not knocking it … it makes perfect sense after all, who wants to pay upwards of £30k for something when you can ‘rent’ it for a couple of hundred a month for a few years!

Annoying the ‘Brand Conscious’ middle classes is just an added bonus!

So yeah – not only can us Proles now fly away on holiday rather than just going to Margate or Blackpool for the week, but we can also have access to luxury leisure items like camper vans in which to drink cans of Stella and suck on a vape whilst wearing a ‘Sports Vest’ … 😉

Arcteryx (or simply just ‘Arc’ to the genuine faithful)

No … no it isn’t – I’ve never heard Arcteryx refered to as ‘Arc’ not even in British Columbia … and I’ve been rockin’ the Arc’teryx for years! 8)

Johnny IT in his lifestyle Van, and clearly brimming with Envy Enve carbon rims

Fixed that for you! 😉

jekkyl

cookeaa has it spot on.

daern
    Free Member

I didn’t realise that there was a class war in trail centre biking. Fabulous!

Could someone please tell me which army I’m meant to dislike?

jamesoz

As a contractor who has to drive a van, can I now pretend I’m in IT?

Maybe I should be hated as I travel about the country with a nice Van I didn’t buy or choose with a bike always inside for a potential sneaky bit of riding while others are working.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m clearly not on trend. Despite owning two relatively nice FS bikes, I let myself down by hanging them from a boot rack mounted on a ten year old Alfa Romeo saloon.

Do you have the correct sunglasses to go with it though?

…surely we’re missing some ‘craft ale’ / Brewdog references?

T5 owners would probably drink Brewdog, or Fosters, maybe Stella if they want to appear posh, or Stella Cidre if they prefer.

Digby

Could someone please tell me which army I’m meant to dislike?

In modern Britain, with contemporary divisive rhetoric in the media etc , I think you are actively encouraged to dislike everyone aren’t you? Including most of the members of your own family!

It’s not like the ’70s & ’80s when you knew who to hate because of the music they listened to i.e. mods, rockers, skins, goths, rude boys, casuals etc …

Like Marilyn said:

“There’s no time to discriminate
    Hate every ***********
    That’s in your way”

daern
    Free Member

As a contractor who has to drive a van, can I now pretend I’m in IT?

Sure.

BTW, my laptop has been playing up and running slow. I know that you’re about to go on a bike ride, but could you take a quick look at it for me? It should only take you an hour or so. Obviously, I won’t be paying you for your time because, well, you’re in IT and do this sort of stuff every day, but once you’ve helped me once, you’ve agreed to an implicit contract to provide me with support for my laptop for the next 10 years.

Oh, and I will also take the piss out of your nice car because you work in IT. And your bike too.

newrobdob
    Free Member

🙄

Well I get comfier seats so it’s probably evens. Not my main car though, that’ll be kept a secret. 😆 I’m just as sensitive as the T5 guys towards lighthearted banter about my lifestyle choices. 😉 😆

daern
    Free Member

Why not combine the two 🙂

newrobdob
    Free Member

Edit as realised it’s not OP’s Volvo – please tell me the Volvo has a T5 engine,

It is mine!!

Better than a T5 engine, it has a good old fashioned strong as an ox turbo redblock in it. Fitted the right way round and driving the correct set of wheels too. 😉

Digby

Oh, and I will also take the piss out of your nice car because you work in IT. And your bike too

I observed this at Llandegla a few weeks ago. It was like a pack of dogs sniffin’ each others bottoms everytime a new vehicle (especially T4 or T5) pulled up in the car park.

Maybe it’s something Darwinian or a ‘Peacock Display’ 😉

woodster

I see the OP is keen to show off how cool and alternative he is compared to all the sheep in their T5s.

I don’t understand what I’m supposed to think about a bunch of photos of practical, but uninteresting vehicles, but I can’t muster any real response.

winston
    Free Member

I want that Volvo, even if it does look like a herse

PS – I have never been to a trail centre but I do have a very old rusty transit.

wfwc
    Free Member

Look Digby (if that is your real name?) all the cool, and in fact marginally cool, kids called it Arc whilst laughing behind the backs of the ‘losers’ (usually with nasal voices) wasting their lives on the extra two syllables.

End of, fact etc.

At least you found out in the end…

😉

jamesoz

Sure.
    BTW, my laptop has been playing up and running slow. I know that you’re about to go on a bike ride, but could you take a quick look at it for me? It should only take you an hour or so. Obviously, I won’t be paying you for your time because, well, you’re in IT and do this sort of stuff every day, but once you’ve helped me once, you’ve agreed to an implicit contract to provide me with support for my laptop for the next 10 years.

It’s the same with any useful skill, or just having a van. People think I’d love to help them work on their house or move big things on my day off.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I see the OP is keen to show off how cool and alternative he is compared to all the sheep in their T5s.

I wasn’t, someone else brought it up to be fair. I was offering free styling advice – otherwise how are people to know how to make a style impact at their local trail centre?

LAT

I’ve never heard Arcteryx refered to as ‘Arc’ not even in British Columbia

Perhaps the people who call it Arc can’t pronounce Arcteryx. I no I can’t and it is why I keep leaving the shop with Patagonia.

Edit:

And, why do people think IT managers are paid well? The people I know who make a descent living sell things like ships and shares, or other currencies.

And, nice Volvo. I’m a confirmed Volvo disliker, I can’t shake the image of the 340 when people mention Volvo, but that car looks good to my eye.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I see the OP is keen to show off how cool and alternative

You mean poor and slightly dull right? A volvo FFS? I don’t care how fast it is, who the xxxx drives a volvo..? Could have at least owned a Saab…

I now understand why he has so much time on his hands to stand about in carparks taking photos of stranger’s cars…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

I want that Volvo, because it does look like a hearse

zilog6128

@Somafunk, tell your old man to look at a Custom Sport then – cheaper, better spec, 2 seats up front, plus doesn’t look utterly tragic 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centre Vehicle Trends Part 2’ is closed to new replies.