Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)
  • Trail Centre Vehicle Trends Part 2
  • ElShalimo

vinnyeh – nice, is that a 940?

martinhutch

More importantly, is it for sale? 🙂

chevychase

Parked up in my mates T5 on some side road in Conway the other day. Left my Santa Cruz in the back and went and got shitfaced.

I did do the marin as a cool-down on the Sunday but went up and round Drum and the North Wales Pass on Saturday in the minging rain.

We’re both mid-40’s IT consultants and he’s properly minted. Alpkit’s my kit of choice tho.

Good thing is I’ve never fallen into the trap of having kids so not only do I do it most weekends I also do it during the week too. Interspersed with kayaking (expensive kayak) and rock climbing (cheap ropes).

I’ve got medium-levels of idea, some of the gear. But who gives a **** when I’m having this much fun week-in, week-out without a care in the world 🙂

Certainly wouldn’t bother taking photos of other people’s vans tho. Who’s got time for that when the pubs are open?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

More importantly, is it for sale?

😀

#SwedishBricks

Looks like a very tidy 940. Had a lovely Wentworth Turbo many years ago. No car has ever had better seats. Was fun in the snow, rear wheel drive/auto/turbo, but had the biggest boot of any car that has ever existed. Cavernous!

welshfarmer

Can’t possibly be bigger than our old Peugeot 504 estate. You could fit a standard mattress in the back and happily sleep there…. without even folding the rear seat forward 🙂

rascal
    Free Member

You sound jealous OP. I’m going to get a T5 too. Not to ‘follow the herd’ but because I have wanted one for ages because I like them. I actually ride my bike a lot too…and it doesn’t have 160mm of travel as quoted by a fellow cynic on here. On second thoughts, I wonder what you think I should buy instead…

LAT

This is an interesting thread. There really are some bitter folk.

I probably look like I should drive a T5, but I’ve fallen into the trap of having a baby and can’t afford a van and the closest VW dealer is about a 20 hour drive away. I do have expensive bikes that I don’t have the energy to ride and a lot of Patagonia jackets, most are too warm for the UK. I was called a chav whilst wearing one once, because it has a hood! By a pleb who drives a used BMW! It is an estate, so good for bikes. Anyway, I thought Patagonia was old news. Isn’t it all about Arcteryx these days? It is much more expensive.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I was once accused of working in IT – though my van’s a Nissan, I only have 150mm and wear Paramo/Buffalo. Clearly the accuser isn’t on here 🙄

nickfrog
    Free Member

I never considered one of those VW T5 but if it annoys the insecure so much, I am tempted to buy one just for that reason.

hammerite
    Free Member

Are all vans with crew cabs on the naughty step? We went for a Vivaro (in grey) to replace our estate car. Saved £8k by opting for a new van over a new estate car. Brilliant for lugging bikes and all manner of kit for weekends, holidays etc… 6 seats, comfortable driving position, no need for bike rack or roof bars. We bought ours before I’d ever visited a trail centre, I was CX and road racing at the time.

Don’t let the practicality get in the way of a good whine though…

rOcKeTdOg

Wow the OPs keep net must be bulging the amount of posters on this thread he’s had on the end of his line. Hilarious! 😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

I think you protest too much…

That’s my other car….. the fun one. 😉

newrobdob
    Free Member

vinnyeh – nice, is that a 940?

Yes.

More importantly, is it for sale?

Not yet it isn’t, still in process of making it go faster than anything that unaerodynamic has any right to. 😉

You sound jealous OP.

Not really. Managed to wind a few sensitive types up which is always fun.

In all seriousness I wouldn’t touch a VW van if it was my money, I know quite a few people who have owned them for both personal and business purposes and none of them would buy one again due to very poor reliability. Most of them now have Transits.

Was fun in the snow, rear wheel drive/auto/turbo

Yup. Mines fun in the dry too now. 😆

newrobdob
    Free Member

Stay tuned for part 3…. if I ever get to a trail centre again.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve got nice stuff that I like. I think I’ve earned the right to not be judged by others for what I drive, ride and Wear.

matt_outandabout

Galaxy, hardtail Marin and Berghaus here.

#counterculture

(Edit- of anyone wants some cheap Patagucci, I’m happy to get rid of my crappy recent Patagonia kit…)

martinhutch

Stay tuned for part 3…. if I ever get to a trail centre again.

Now they know what you’re driving, you will be lynched by angry T5 drivers before you get to the trailhead cafe.

matt_outandabout

(I’m more a Saab man than the Volvo, but I wouldn’t say no…)

kiksy
    Free Member

Well done newrobdob. Think you can definitely call this thread an op success. 😀

daern
    Free Member

There’s been a rise of it recently; the “all the gear, no idea” types; the “follow the herd” mentality. The yuppies have returned, and this time they’re dressed in patagonia rather than barbour jackets.

I guess a weekend away in the van riding your mountain bike is a good way to craft an image that your peers will admire. But it’s the very safe option; the trail centre, and no doubt a campsite aswell. And that’s what these people all have in common, the colour beige (or is it grey?).Looks like it’s not just OP that’s making snap judgements about people based on what they drive, how they dress or what bike they have…

I’m enjoying this thread 🙂

newrobdob
    Free Member

Now they know what you’re driving, you will be lynched by angry T5 drivers before you get to the trailhead cafe.

It’s cost me the price of a T5 to pay for the petrol to get to a trail centre in my 940. 20mpg average means I go in my other car! So still under the radar…..

The T5 owners won’t be able to see me through the tints in the back of their vans as they fire up the camping stove and prepare the Aeropress anyway. They probably can’t afford both the repayment for the van AND sit inside a warm cafe for lunch.

newrobdob
    Free Member

lOP that’s making snap judgements about people

Just reporting trends my dear, I’m like a reporter for Van Fashion Weekly. 😆

Tiger6791

Best thread ‘eva!!

😀

martinhutch

DTF taking full advantage of good fishing conditions, I see. 🙂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Good thread OP. Ignore the naysayers.

I’m not a trail centre type but did visit Glentress recently. Amongst all the T5s and A6 Allroads we spotted an immaculate, very new and shiny, steel grey Landrover Defender LWB. Complete with obligatory Thule top box and racks – presumably to hold a Santa Cruz or two. (Seeing as everybody’s got one now it seems – which was news to me as I’d mistakenly thought they were still cool.)

Anyway, my mate loved it but I thought it beneath contempt. It’ll never, ever go off road and never be dirty – inside or out.

tinybits
    Free Member

why does that matter? why the ‘contempt’? it’s a bit sad really, vehicles really don’t matter to anyone other than the owner surely?

Goldigger
    Free Member

More pimped up vans in the local street..

bikebouy
    Free Member

No, they matter to the peer pressure types..

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ that van fails, it’s 09 redg’d.. needs to be 17 at the oldest..

Goldigger
    Free Member

And it’s a Peugeot..

Blackflag
    Free Member

Great post OP. Your mildly amusing satirisation of some elements of mountain bike culture has been raised to the level of hilarious thanks to some of the humourless po-faced responses you have received.

Take a bow.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Yay were famous! The grey T5 is mine

Surprised no one has asked, too busy making statements…

Anyway NickyBlake, how did you do that dent? And why is not fixed yet?

ElShalimo

newrobdob – Member
    It’s cost me the price of a T5 to pay for the petrol to get to a trail centre in my 940. 20mpg average

– take the roof rack off and you’ll get it up to 21mpg !

dougiedogg
    Free Member

I just go to the trail centre to ride my wee bicycle.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a suspicion that many of these T5 owners watched far too much A-Team as kids and are living out their childhood fantasy. People who vape obviously preferred Thomas The Tank Engine.

Goldigger
    Free Member

What makes you think that?

[video]https://youtu.be/us-v0J6gZVw[/video]

muzz
    Free Member

I sell used cars for a living (kriss akabussi laugh) and recently got traded in a 2008 T5 kombi (one seat in the back / tinted side windows / carpet lined in back) with only 106k miles on it, but rough bodywork – poor previous repairs. It drives good and I have just replaced the timing belt / water pump.

Was very excited when took it in as I have had a renaissance in MTBing (did mostly road previous) and have a habit of taking off for a night or two and sleeping in the back of vans (I have a 1984 T25 camper too) and MTBing (big mountain epics) Spent first night it in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago and the drive was a lot more stress free than in the old T25!

Not fussed about the rough

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m clearly not on trend. Despite owning two relatively nice FS bikes, I let myself down by hanging them from a boot rack mounted on a ten year old Alfa Romeo saloon.

mark90
    Free Member

I’m gonna get me a one of these…..

To transport my new bike to trail centres

daern
    Free Member

I’m clearly not on trend. Despite owning two relatively nice FS bikes, I let myself down by hanging them from a boot rack mounted on a ten year old Alfa Romeo saloon.

Correct adherence to rule #25. Approved.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centre Vehicle Trends Part 2’ is closed to new replies.