• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by james.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trail centre on route from Birmingham to Glasgow
  • julzm
    Free Member

Hi folks
    I’m going to be travelling back home to Glasgow from Birmingham soon and want to stop off on the way home for some biking.

Can any of you recommend me a decent trail centre? We mostly ride reds and blacks currently and like technical stuff.

Appreciate your help.

Julzm

Russell96

Gisburn

julzm
    Free Member

Hi Russell96
    Good shout but it’s actually the only trail centre in England that we’ve already done…..

Bregante

Whinlatter?

julzm
    Free Member

Bregante that was my first thought. What’s it like?

jamj1974

I like Lee Quarry.

Spin
    Free Member

Drumlanrig might be the closest to the motorway but pretty close to Glasgow.

jekkyl

Cannock of course, bout 25 mins from Junc 11 M6

tomj
    Free Member

Whinlatter is only 30min or so from the M6. Its a red trail – not hugely technical but I like it. Its two loops on either side of the valley, with mostly singletrack climbs up and some good fast descents with lots of fun. Stunning views of the weathers ok. The blue is well, well worth a go as well, its just a lot of fun.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Ae forest is 15mins off the m74 and has a nice cafe, it would certainly get my vote over drumlanrig and whinlatter. That’s not to say it’s better than those places, just handier.
    Edit: and it’s probably better 😉

Gribs

I often stop at Drumlanrig on my way south from Glasgow. Ae’s easier and quicker to get to but I don’t like it. Mabie or Dalbeattie don’t seem to add that much to the journey and are both fun.

Heading further south Gisburn would add a couple of hours onto the journey though if you like rocky riding then Lee quarry is worth a visit and about an hours round trip from the M6

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve done all the following on similar trips backwards and forwards with work –
    Cannock Chase
    Gisburn
    Lee/Cragg quarry’s
    Whinlatter
    Mabie
    Ae
    Drumlanrig
    Cathkin Brae (Glasgow commonwealth track)

My pick out of that would be Drumlanrig, Mabie or Whinlatter

julzm
    Free Member

Hi folks
    Many thanks for your suggestions. We do all the Scottish centres regularly especially those in D&G. However lee quarry or whinlatter are probably our short list so I’ll have a look at both of those.

Techy stuff is our preference with minimal forest road, so looking for that really.
    Thanks again for the help.

jamj1974

Lee quarry is techy – more in some places than others. It is quite short though…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lateral thinking:

The entire Lake District?
    The Howgills are about as convenient as you can get off the M6.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Borrowdale bash. 20 minutes off the M6 and a country mile better than any trail centres mentioned above.

Gribs

Lee quarry certainly doesn’t have any forest road and bits of the black and a couple of the red climbs are fairly techy. The only bits of trail that could be likened to fire roads are climbs. It’s not long but that just means you can do a few loops and it’s fairly obvious and easy to miss out sections you don’t enjoy other than the main climb.

james
    Free Member

Is the black north shore still standing at Newcastleton? I know the reds not that technical but its not terrible, just short

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trail centre on route from Birmingham to Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.