Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Trail Centre Mini Road Trip suggestions.
  • spooky_b329

Planning a 5 day trip in our camper, (relaxed, just one longer or two shorter trails per day) back of envelope scribbles so far:

Sunday: Swinley new trails (a given as its localish, and we only have a half day) Campsite nearby.

Monday: Cannock, Monkey Trail. Any suggestions for a basic cheap campsite a rideable distance away or suitable spot for wildcamping i.e. quiet overnight parking.

Tuesday: Into mid or North Wales, perhaps Coed Y Brenin but fairly flexible. Better alternatives? (If good weather I’m tempted to stay at one of the sites at the bottom of the Ranger path and tackle Snowdon)

Wednesday: Recommend a trail in the Brecon Beacons! Bonus points if there is a site we can leave the camper and ride to the trail. Possibly a two night stop so could do two trails this day.

Thursday: Probably meeting family at Cwm Carn. Staying with family.

Friday: Heading for home.

Thanks for any tips…not done trail centres for a couple of years now so a bit out of touch.

prawny

Tackeroo campsite on the route for the dog so you can start/finish there to save paying for parking at the trail head.

Not been to anywhere else on the list

Edit, just looked on there website, they close for the season a week on monday. Shame.

Edit v2 – This is rideable.
    http://www.springsladelodge.co.uk/page5.html

Otehrwise I’ve seen campers park on the carparks just off the main roads over the chase in the winter, not sure I’d fancy that much though. Too many chavs.

spooky_b329

Thanks Prawny, exactly the info I’m after 🙂 I don’t mind the parking charges too much but if there is an option to avoid leaving a tempting target in a quiet car park for the day I’m all for it! (but as you say, shutting very early 🙁 )

Re: Edit V2, think that bits sorted. Showers too which is a plus as Sunday nights stop doesn’t have showers for your £10.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    frogstomp

The Gap (Brecon Beacons) can be ridden straight out of Pencelli Castle – very nice facilities too.

Matt_SS_xc

skip cannock and get straight into wales.
    nant yr arian is great – just park and stay in the carpark (have done so many times)
    cwm rhaedr then glyncorrwyg for another day. Just park at the top carpark at cwm rhaedr and stay there(again have done many times!).
    Gap road for sure. Coed Y brenin is great (just stay at the main carpark…theres a theme here!) or penmachno if you fancy something quieter / wilder.

greeble
    Free Member

cwm rhaedr then glyncorrwygBrechfa for another day.

FTFY

bikepark wales for a blast too?

timidwheeler
    Free Member

The gap can be ridden from Talybont farm campsite. It’s a nice site with a few nearby pubs.

jkomo

Ignore me

tmb467
    Free Member

Did 5 days in Wales recently staying at Dolgellau (torrent walk site)

Got Nant yr Arian, Pont Scethin and Snowdon in – only missed out on Antur Stiniog cos my forks went. Choice was pretty good cos Climachx/Machynlleth, Coed y Brenin and Penmachno/Marin Trail/Llandegla were also within reach

Not done South Wales before but it’s a bit of a trek to get there from the North

In essence tho, Wales is one big trail centre ….

poonprice
    Free Member

On monday what about.

Cannock Monkey trail in the morning, its only short so then move closer towards Wales you could do either Hopton Woods red or a XC ride over on the Long Mynd go to Blazing Bikes for a map and a route and stay at their campsite.

What about LLandegla at some point for a bit of smooth running fun?

Coed Y Brenin – Great

Brecon Beacons – Never been.

Friday on the way back from Cwmcarn call in and do Forest of Dean either the blue or a little fun on the DH stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Trail Centre Mini Road Trip suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.