Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Trail building – Clearing out thorny bushes
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’m hoping to build a few small trails in a local wood if the landowner is happy.
    The ground is covered in thorny bushes, only 1-2ft deep but it is fairly thick in places.

What’s the best way to clear a singletrack through this with no powertools?

marksnook
    Free Member

Can you get/buy/borrow petrol tools? Petrol brush cutters or strimmers are good. Failing that try a sythe! If possible while using it try to dress like the grim reaper to scare local folk..

scruff
    Free Member

It’s a horrible job, use fire as chopping at them is a last resort, you’ll need something really sharp with a long handle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Get into the base and take them at ground level with a saw. Everything else is not an efficient use of time.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

All my tools are electric although I may be able to borrow a petrol brush cutter.
    I’ll be doing this on evenings so noise may be a bit of an issue though.

Would you normally put some weedkiller down once it’s cleared to kill the roots?

Andy-R

Failing that try a sythe! If possible while using it try to dress like the grim reaper Ross Poldark to scare local folk..

jamiep
    Free Member

I helped with ground clearance at the new pump track in Edinburgh. Best results were long handle snips to get in at the base and then whack with a sturdy rake

teethgrinder

Fire is quieter than petrol tools.

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Machete on a stick!

somafunk

If you can’t use power tools then a bush hook (2nd from left) is pretty good, follow that up with a rake or use a hoe to clear the ground.

CraigW
    Free Member

Or a billhook?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Thanks, the bush hook looks perfect! Will get one ordered.

burko73

Don’t go lobbing “weedkiller” about in a woodland. Not unless you know what you’re doing. Or fire either.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

As my learned colleague above commented.

I’d suggest a saw like the one in soma’s pic. For a beginner, using edge tools at ground level will soon stop them working.

(edit) Or loppers if the stems are too thin and bendy for a saw.

timber

Brash hook/slasher.

The local Gurkhas cleared the bramble from the forest school are quite effectively with just some branches. Got the bramble to catch and then just kept wrapping it round and round the stick

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fiskars XA3, XA23 if you want the longer handle.

My fave trail tool.

bencooper
    Free Member

Scythes are for grass, and a lot harder to use than they look. A slasher if you’ve got room to swing it, a billhook if you haven’t is what you need.

Though what you really need is a petrol or rechargeable electric brushcutter 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Salt…

scaredypants

I’d be taking a long handled lopper as said ^ up there

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Trail building – Clearing out thorny bushes’ is closed to new replies.