Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Trail building and the best way to go about it.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Just wondering what the legalities are to clearing trails in local woods . I have just been up at a local site (Woodhall picnic site) in East lothian which is always deserted there are loads of little worn paths made by dog walkers and such like. The place lends its self well to biking although is fairly flat with only a couple of natural bomb holes. Im tempted to go up with a shovel and saw to try and tidy the place up a bit but would imagine this is fairly frowned up . Dont get me wrong Im not on about cutting down trees or anything like that but maybe a spot of pruning . 😉 For any local east lothian riders check the place out its about a mile west of Pencaitland , its not very big but has bags of potential to be a good little loops to practice a few jumps etc.

simonm
    Free Member

Your best bet is to always try to make contact with land owners first. Who owns it ?
    Otherwise what tends to happen is the landowner just gets miffed and thinks your a bunch of kids runing the place.
    That said, I quite like the approach of both starting to build, and talking to land owner at same time, as given a choice, 90% of land owners would rather you just went away.

Take a look at IMBA or Singletraction websites for advice.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just been looking for this on the map, is it where the railway path crosses the A6093?

MrAgreeable

Contacting the landowners is a sensible first step. If you don't fancy doing that, it's more about not doing anything that could create headaches for the landowner.

i.e. Don't build any structures like jumps or berms, move or damage the absolute minimum of vegetation (particularly don't cut down any trees as even weedy saplings can be a valuable cash crop in the making), and keep it as low-profile as possible (and dare I say, don't publicise it on any internet forums)

DickBarton

I'd leave it be and enjoy what is there…but if you do decide to get about it and do something then speak to the landowner first and make sure they are agreeable to it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Trail building and the best way to go about it.’ is closed to new replies.