Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Trail Addiction I think not!
  • pinhead
    Free Member

“ An average of 5-6 riders per guide means that you’ll spend much more time in the saddle and a lot less time waiting for the rest”
    Nope we had to wait 30 mins at the end of every downhill for the plebs to get down,every day was a massive group for us grrr,

we asked a and asked to be put with better riders or by ourselves but no we had to ride with these for a week,one day there was 14 of us in the group,what a waste of a day!

Kept on taking us down really tame trails when we had told them countless times we haven’t come here to ride this!

1st two days we had to share with two other riders we didn’t know and wasn’t part of what we paid for.

on the way back to the chalet they always made user we went the road way back,and when i asked where this footpath went the guide said ohh no where, huh the day after i went down it instead of going the pub way back where the guide must get a bonus for tasking the riders that way as this footpath was pretty good and brought me out right near the chalet

1st day i asked where the supermarket was they reply was there isn’t one,but we sell all that you will need at a very expensive amount i might add.well low and behold the day after i strolled down the road to find a supermarket not 10mins away,well i never hey!

now if i was made of money it might have eased my wallet but to get out to the Alps etc was hard financially never mind everything else,a few more other things too but that is some of them
    Ok if you like steady easy trails but far better places in the Alps

Of you have money to burn go for it

alfabus
    Free Member

It’s January…. have you saved up this rant for months?

Dave

xiphon
    Free Member

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. I’ll recommend Trail Addiction to my friends.

MussEd
    Free Member

I am puzzled by this…

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

That was nearly incomprehensible – best calm down a bit and retype.

“Biker books group guided holiday and has to ride with others of varying ability”. The horror!

Maybe drive and camp next time, it’s cheaper and you’ll be all alone.

Oh yeah, it’s January….

xcgb
    Free Member

on the way back to the chalet they always made user we went the road way back,and when i asked where this footpath went the guide said ohh no where, huh the day after i went down it instead of going the pub way back where the guide must get a bonus for tasking the riders that way as this footpath was pretty good and brought me out right near the chalet

Is the word footpath a clue?

alfabus
    Free Member

erm… was it because it’s a footpath? Lots of paths you are not supposed to ride on – might get away with cheeky trails, but for a guiding company based in a fixed location there is a pretty big incentive to get along with the neighbours!

1st day i asked where the supermarket was they reply was there isn’t one,but we sell all that you will need at a very expensive amount i might add.well low and behold the day after i strolled down the road to find a supermarket not 10mins away,well i never hey!

What did you need a supermarket for? It is fully catered…

All in all, it doesn’t tally with my experience at all… they were great and the trails were brilliant.

Dave

njee20
    Free Member

Nope we had to wait 30 mins at the end of every downhill for the plebs to get down,every day was a massive group for us grrr,

1st two days we had to share with two other riders we didn’t know and wasn’t part of what we paid for.

So you’d gone as part of a massive group, then had to ride with them? How awful 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

that footpath you went on is a serious bone of contention in the areas with plenty inconsiderate riders coming acropper crashing into groups of walkers using the footpath for walking.

my experiance with trail adiction is different to your…. even with them a guide down i had a great week – they split us up into two groups of abilitys we had a whale of a time.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In Pinhead’s defence, I do think 14 riders in a group is too big a group. His/her holiday did not meet expectations and despite raising it with Trail Addiction little seems to have been done about it. I know that’s not always possible, but I do feel a little for Pinhead here. I’d be gutted too.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Pinhead, I wouldn’t waste your breath trying to warn these lot about them as the majority of this lot on here are the ones you’d be waiting for at the bottom of every track!! To be honest there’s way better riding in the alps than les arcs, I really wouldn’t bother unless you like smooth trail centre type trails!.. If u want some REET good riding get yersen to chamonix! By far more technical proper mountain biking!

wobbem
    Free Member

Did TA last year, going back again this year ’twas so good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so you only found the crap trails listed in the guide maps then pussywillow- shame that

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Bless

garethcolins89
    Free Member

Hi Pinhead, long time no see!
    Seems like the last few months have somewhat tainted your memory of that week, so I’ll try and remind you.
    Yeh unfortunately we were in a large group, but some guides were injured/ill which can’t really be accounted for.
    As for the plebs like me, I’m fairly sure 30mins is a bit over the top, also you weren’t the fastest rider in the group, the fastest riders commented on how little waiting they ever actually did.
    I seem to remember you had to take an extra day off riding, because those easy trails and long waits meant your body couldn’t handle it.
    And I’m sorry you had to share a room with me us, but you did seem glad of it every time you needed some sun lotion or to borrow some tools.
    It seems like you need a one to one guided holiday to truly cater for all your needs, but as you said these things aren’t cheap so we all have to put up with/embrace the experience of riding and living as a group for a week.
    I thought it was great which is why I’m going again this year!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

<rethinks previous sympathetic comments/>

xcgb
    Free Member

🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

Hi Pinhead, long time no see!
    Seems like the last few months have somewhat tainted your memory of that week, so I’ll try and remind you.
    <…>

Priceless 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

Pinhead just got pwnd

justme
    Free Member

We had a really good week with TA last year would go again G

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Nice on Gareth 🙂

ton

pinhead………..did you get MATES RATES?? 😉

wobbem
    Free Member

garethcolins89

Classic 😆

spawnofyorkshire

to help soothe the pain from that slapdown Pinhead

scottfitz
    Free Member

Pinhead sounds like you don’t being in a guided group. So don’t. Me and a couple of friends went to the Ls Arc/Bourg last year. Hired a chalet rode our bike no guides. Found some great trails, explored, looks at a map, spoke to locals etc..

Have a great time, was a real adventure.

Travel about a bit too. Les Arcs, La thuile, Pila, Tinges, val-d’lsere

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

WTF? I had a great time when i went. I returned for a 2nd visit in fact. Groups were 5-6 initially but it went down to 3 on the last day as everyone was so tired from all the riding! It certainly wasn’t “smooth”. Made some good friends each time. We did around 100k ft of descent in the week. great fun.

Maybe we didn’t have any “shredders” in our group who we couldn’t keep up with?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I feel your pain Pinhead.

All I can say is:

This would not have happened with Bike Verbier!

Milkie
    Free Member

titusrider
    Free Member

seriously why now? if you holiday was months ago?

anyway two back country weeks with trail addication and plenty of fast and challenging trails had by all, +1 for their great service and trails

Northwind

<awaits next installment>

pussywillow – Member

I really wouldn’t bother unless you like smooth trail centre type trails!

You rode a different Les Arcs to us. Well, we did do one descent on a trailcentre type thing, it was alright, but we didn’t waste much time on that stuff.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that true? I’d be a bit peeved if it was.

scottfitz
    Free Member

You rode a different Les Arcs to us. Well, we did do one descent on a trailcentre type thing, it was alright, but we didn’t waste much time on that stuff.

Me too we rode some really rocky/Techy trails

trail_rat
    Free Member

“but we sell all that you will need at a very expensive amount i might add”

on that note – what did they sell . when i was there they sold brake pads and tires and tubes and freely admitted they were expensive as they didnt want to sell them but did for peoples convienance – they want you to come prepared to avoid disapointment. – didnt see any brake pads or tubes in the local supermarket.

i went to the local supermarket for a tin of coke one day as i wanted a pickme up before the night at la vache – i asked pat the guide and he pointed me down the hill into town centre.

legend
    Free Member

Been twice with TA, each time the group was 6 people tops. Guides were invaluable, as even when we borrowed one of their maps we still struggled to find some trails as they are that we’ll hidden! Great riding, guiding, accommodation and food. Will be going again.

legend
    Free Member

Supermarket 10mins walk from Peisey? Don’t bloody think so. 1 euro a beer in the chalet isn’t it? Happy to pay that

EDIT – are you talking about the wee shop?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This thread could rival the UKBS thread for thread of the year…..

pinhead
    Free Member

No guiding holidays ever again
    I can’t afford it that way and will be every 2 years when I go now times are hard aint lining the pockets of the rich

Gareth gareth you was a smart chap and well done for your smart post
    The trails were more like uk trail centre trails Red 10 what a load of shite, ahh dear I loved la varda yes I wanted more of that stuff ! Which you lot hated so there we go eh ,I had only just recovered from a serious illness and just come out of hospital where I had lost 3 stone that is why I had to have a day off

Supermarket as couldn’t afford TA prices

scruff
    Free Member

The TA setup is different to what I’ve expereince before, seems more of a divide between staff / punters / different groups at times. However our guide was a world cup level DHer who made us look like total beginners and she was a GIRL but a great guide who fetched me things for my bike when I broke them and paid for them out of her own pocket. The mechanics really helped me out aswell.
    We rode stuff steeper than anything Ive ridden in Austia or Switzerland, trails were superb. We may have once or twice accidently ventured onto a footpath at times, by accident.

xcgb
    Free Member

15 all

New balls please!

titusrider
    Free Member

so why now?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Trail Addiction I think not!’ is closed to new replies.