Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Trail addiction – backcountry trip
  • neenan1
    Free Member

A few of us are spending a week with the trail addiction chaps.

Can anyone advise on what to expect?

Many thanks

goodgrief
    Free Member

Tight, dusty switchbacks and some of the best trails in the Alps.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Some climbing and decending

neenan1
    Free Member

Be interested to hear how much steep descending there is a the typical tire choices

goodgrief
    Free Member

You’ll want a rear tyre that’s quite sturdy to avoid pinch punctures and has decent braking surfaces so it’s a bit kinder on your brakes. There’s plenty of 20+ minute descents that have lots of braking.
    Softer tyres (schwalbe) get torn up in no time so you end the week on a slick..

legend
    Free Member

Softer tyres (schwalbe) get torn up in no time

Yup, used a Muddy Mary and a Big Betty in Les Arcs area, both died much faster than everyone else’s Maxxis setups.

This year will be something along the lines of a Minion

jim25

Would it best to run a dual ply on the back then?

neenan1
    Free Member

A interesting point about Schwalbe tyres.

Planning on running a Magic Mary super gravity up front, will that be a sensible choice or too draggy?

legend
    Free Member

jim25 – Member
    Would it best to run a dual ply on the back then?

Yup, unless you really are going on holiday for the climbs then the benefits (fit and forget) far outweigh the weight penalty

neenan1 – Member

Planning on running a Magic Mary super gravity up front, will that be a sensible choice or too draggy?

Should be fine, not the grippiest for the terrain around Les Arcs imo (from running the Muddy Marys). Dunno if you’ll encounter far different conditions on the backcountry week though

goodgrief
    Free Member

My mate had a magic mary on the front, seemed great. We didn’t find ant of that baked hard soil that you get in the PDS so having a tyre to dig into the loose dust/dirt and brake heavily is ideal. His HD on the rear suffered an early death.
    I ran minion EXO’s 3c front/dual rear. Would’ve liked something with more bite tbh and I had quite a few punctures that were a pain to seal up.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I was out there with TA last week.I ran High Rollers Super Tacky.I noticed the High Rollers were very popular,asked one of the guides about them & he said that guiding they wouldn’t run Super Tackys because they wouldn’t get the mileage out of them,but for guests they were great.
    Terrain wise,it was proper steep technical switchbacks & the dustiest trails I’ve ever ridden.
    They also supply tyres so you’ll get advice from them if you need any,HTH

welshfarmer

Last year I ran an Onza Ibex DH on the front and it still looks like new. However, I didn’t feel it offered me the best grip so it is now out back and a Magic Mary SG is on the front. Hoping it will give a bit more confidence this year. Have a supply of well used high rollers as backups 🙂

4 of us rode with TA last year and not one of us suffered a single pucture/torn tyre. I burped one once on a kerb! but that was it. Can’t wait, driving back out on Friday to Destination X

🙂

neenan1
    Free Member

@bustaspoke sounds good. Take it accomdation dinner, lunch etc was all ok?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Neenan,yes all was good,I’d go again.Some of the other guests were there for the second consecutive year & said the food was a big improvement on last year.
    They also had a group of Trans Savoi riders stay for a few nights.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I did Dest-X with them, different area but mostly techy type riding. lots of switch backs and a fair bit of exposure. Occasionally really steep bit of trail. Generally awesome. It was ***kin hot when we where there, certainly made thr pedalling a challenge.

Dual ply HR for me front and back. No punctures but Dest-X isn’t very rocky.

@welsh have a great time here is my fave photo from my trip, Mont Blanc in distance

wideboy
    Free Member

I was out with them a few years back, highly advise taking dual ply DH tyres!

I had a single ply minion and had 5 flats in 6 days riding on my rear alone. Not only is it a hassle, but it holds the group up while you fix it.

As for what to expect, a real mix! From a day of terrible XC climbing (on a heavy 6in AM rig) to a days uplift with the vans, to a days pretty exposed high altitude stuff! Good mix for most groups.

NB: XC was shit as I hate XC! Uplift was great as I love going fast without having to earn turns 😉

The ‘epic’ ride was amazing (HEIDI), stunning scenery, great trails. Long day but well worth it.

Food and accom were good, guides good.

Enjoy!

wideboy
    Free Member

Also, make sure you have full insurance cover for ‘off piste’ riding.

Some of thr trails are WAY out there, if the worst was to happen you’d be hitching a ride in a chopper. Without insurance you’d be looking at a new bronson carbon with enve rims!!!!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Trail addiction – backcountry trip’ is closed to new replies.