Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Traffic priority question
  • sweepy
    Free Member

On the A9 heading south approaching the kessock bridge, approaching the roadworks which regularly cause queues there are two lanes, one for any vehicle and the other buses and HGVs only. This effectively becomes a priority lane as they cruise past the queue, then merge at the roadworks. I understand buses getting priority, but why HGVs?

scotroutes

Maybe because HGVs cause a lot of pollution if they are stopping and starting or driving very slowly in a queue of traffic? (just a guess)

FWIW, I pass the morning queue on my way to work. Looks horrendous.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Because Highways says so!

downgrade
    Free Member

I was thinking it was something to do with lane widths and large vehicles but its seems its

to ensure as much as possible the free flow of public transport and the haulage industry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21472663

sweepy
    Free Member

Thanks for that, now i’m puzzled as to what makes the haulage industry more deserving of consideration. I only see the queue from the northbound lane but if I was stuck in it i’d get the hump.
    I’m just going to imagine that scotroutes has it right, I can cope with the injustice if theres a reason for it 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Or possibly because lorries have no option but to go on the road, and single people in a car tend to have alternatives.

irc

appeals for commuters to use public transport and to car share were put in place in an attempt to limit congestion.

If they want car sharers then cars with 3 or more occupants should get to use the fast lane as well.

spooky_b329

Because the truckers have a limited number of hours behind the wheel. Looking at the route it may be that delaying HGVs would mean drivers are unable to complete this leg of the A9 without exceeding their hours and therefore driving illegally, or having to take overnight breaks in inappropriate places. A long queue could be the difference between getting back to the depot and home for the night, or kipping in the truck overnight in a layby.

(That’s a guess, not fact)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Per sq m of occupied road footprint, an HGV is much more valuable to the general population than a car. Seems obvious to me when you look at it like that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Or possibly because lorries have no option but to go on the road, and single people in a car tend to have alternatives.

So you can use that lane if the car has passengers?

nickjb
    Free Member

So you can use that lane if the car has passengers?

No, but the queue would be much shorter if everyone shared. Unfortunately those that do share have sit in the same lane as the stupid people who can’t work that out.

geoffj

aracer – Member
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Maybe not quite as applicable in that part of the UK as in some other parts though.

nealglover
    Free Member

I can cope with the injustice if theres a reason for it

You would be ok if there was no food in the supermarket then, because all the wagon drivers had done their hours sat in a traffic queue and were now parked up in a layby till tomorrow.

As long as there was a reason for it 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

the stupid people

Go on then, indulge me. Why are people driving alone stupid?

scotroutes

The other thing is that many of the HGVs would end up taking the longer route through Dingwall, Muir of Ord, Beauly and so on, on roads that aren’t really up to it and causing pollution and noise in those small towns and villages. Folk would then complain when, after the bridge works are finished, the A862 was full of potholes and they’d complain again when that road was subject to delays whilst being repaired.

nickjb
    Free Member

Go on then, indulge me. Why are people driving alone stupid?

OK, bit of a misquote but let me rephrase it, the people who are happy to sit in traffic everyday.

johndoh
    Free Member

the people who are happy to sit in traffic everyday

Perhaps they are not happy about it. Perhaps their job necessitates it.

For example, I choose to live close to work – I drive, ride, run or walk depending on mood. I am fortunate.

My brother has a job that covers an area as far south as Sheffield and as far north as Scotland. His van is full of parts, installation manuals etc and he has to be able to get to distribution depots to collect other parts as and when required. This means he has to drive, he works alone so he is a single car driver and he has to use whatever roads are available to get to a variety of destinations, from banks to supermarkets…

nickjb
    Free Member

The issue isn’t with people like your brother. Of course there are lots of people for whom driving alone is the only real option. I’m talking about the vast majority, the millions (actually millions not a dramatic point making exaggeration) who are completely unwilling to consider any alternatives. The people who sit in a traffic jam they are contributing to and complain about it.

sweepy
    Free Member

You would be ok if there was no food in the supermarket then, because all the wagon drivers had done their hours sat in a traffic queue and were now parked up in a layby till tomorrow.

As long as there was a reason for it

And that could be a reason, and there are a few other reasons up there so I feel better already. Although there are plenty of other people in the queue who have no option but whose time is just as limited.
    I’m a nurse and the only reason I ever get caught there is when I go to visit a client, should someone miss out on nursing care because i’m in a queue, but the bread rolls must get through.

aracer
    Free Member

It would presumably make sense if the lane was for buses, HGVs and nurses on call, but who else would you add to the list, and more importantly how would it be policed? Maybe you need to get a bus or an HGV to visit your clients 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

The people who sit in a traffic jam they are contributing to and complain about it.

All of this trafficis in my way!

legend
    Free Member

My brother has a job that covers an area as far south as Sheffield and as far north as Scotland

All the way from Sheffield to Scotand?! Bugger me, he is well travelled! 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

Thats my point aracer, who else should get priority, or should anyone.
    For what its worth I dont particularly mind if im sitting there, I’m getting paid by the hour, but I cover a radius of 40miles from inverness and with the peculiarities of my job and location public transport would limit me to one client a day.

Ive been campaining for a camper van but the bosses aren’t biting i’m afraid.

johndoh
    Free Member

All the way from Sheffield to Scotand?! Bugger me, he is well travelled!

Just pointing out that he drives lots.

gwaelod
    Free Member

If only there was some sort of railway in the North of scotland that could take the freight of the A9.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23470170

Dunno what the score is North of Inverness though – is there still a lot of stuff going to Nigg/Cromarty. There were quite a few HGV bimbling up to Caithness last summer when I was enroute to Orkney.

Is it the swiss who insist that lorries switch cargo to rail when it transits through switzerland

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Traffic priority question’ is closed to new replies.