Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Traffic calming measures require street-lighting
  • Stoner
    Free Member

That’s an excuse I’ve just been given for why our village is Worcestershire’s answer to Santa Pod.

Load’a’baloney, or mandatory highways policy?
    We don’t have street lighting, and see no need for it.

Cougar

I’d guess it’s the sort of thing that’s at the whim of your local council to decide / set policy on.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hard to tell but often its the signs/ markings that require lighting . Like a ped or zebra crossing What’s the scheme?

tenfoot

There could be some truth in that. KCC turn all the streetlights off round our way after midnight, apart from main roads and a few other roads. Our road has traffic calming measures on it, so maybe that is why the lights stay on all night, as it’s certainly not a main road.

Stoner
    Free Member

depressingly, this doc seems to make it a requirement for side deflection schemes in 30mph limits:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329454/ltn-1-07_Traffic-calming.pdf

s.2.8.3

Im sure Ive been through villages without street lighting but with

Horizontal deflections, where one direction of traffic
    is given priority over the other,
    may be considered
    as conflict areas as described within BSEN13201.
    Drivers approaching the feature need to be able
    to identify its layout and be able to make such
    judgements as necessary concerning driver priority,
    the intended actions of oncoming drivers, and how
    to safely navigate the feature. Lighting providing
    good colour rendering of the correct class will help
    the drive to make such judgements.

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon we could buy two cars, livery them up in fluro chevrons and park them on the road (with VED/MOT, natch) offset and make a temporary chicane. Could even leave a parking light on them overnight 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Does seem reasonable if you are adding hazards to the road in the hope that somehow this will make it safer instead of properly policing the speed limit etc.

(I hate traffic calming particularly on the bike)

doris5000

hmm

most of the time it just needs some painted road markings IMO

there’s a speedbump about 10 yards from my house, on which the paint markings have almost completely worn out. We enjoy a frequent chorus of CRUNCH!! CLANGG!! as people who don’t know it’s there boot over it at 30mph

scaredypants

(I hate traffic calming particularly on the bike)

yeah, that

I opened this expecting you to say you’d hit a new bit of road furniture in tha dark on your bike

even in daylight, those narrowing “features” just make a place for bikes to get squashed by drivers ignoring the priority signs

thecaptain
    Free Member

Some calming features are a bit hazardous. I’m thinking particularly of unmarked built-out kerbs in the dark and rain. Yes, in theory you should drive slowly enough to see and avoid obstacles in the road. How many people would claim to have never driven though a pothole though?

If they are painted (like speedbumps always are IME) then no problem though.

Stoner
    Free Member

not difficult to design it favourably. These arent perfect but they would work.

Stoner
    Free Member

This would work well for our location https://goo.gl/maps/iMUBTbbYN8u

with a cycle bypass. With a sign lamp, rather than a street lamp.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If only our cars had some sort of device fitted, like a big searchlight pointing forwards, allowing the drivers to see whats in front of them…… 🙄

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

One they put in near us totally destroyed a handful of cars. (Hitting kerbstones at ~60 tends to mangle your car)

As it was all signed and illuminated to spec, it’s still there.

Ha

TheBrick
    Free Member

Burley in the new forest has loads of pinch points and no street lighting, just reflective arrows pointing them out.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Can’t link to the place on gmaps but if you follow rigdwood road from the north or burley road from the south you will see them.

aracer
    Free Member

See http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-lane-signage-you-really-couldnt-make-this-up for recent discussion of the issues with traffic calming features with cycle bypasses. Your first pic looks exactly like the sort of thing discussed, where the cycle bypass spits you out right into the conflict zone, where you’re liable to be flattened by cars coming from either direction.

I appreciate why you have an issue though – it takes a real effort of will to slow down coming off Castlemorton common, and it’s hardly better coming from the other end, where the limit starts way before it feels like it needs to.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Like that the official docs even call them a “conflict area”! Have a lot of those round here, the bike bypass is both dangerous and stupid. It spits you out right where traffic is pulling back into your lane with oncoming traffic limiting the available room. And if you don’t choose to use it then you’ll probably get knocked off by cars that assume you are going to use it and floor it to get past ahead of oncoming traffic. I loath them.

ninfan
    Free Member

Traffic cones make great chicanes/temporary roadblocks

we discovered however that certain people just drove into them slowly to push them out the way

Oh how we laughed when they discovered that traffic cones make even better chicanes if you use them to cover up scaffold pole dragons teeth or fill them with concrete first – crunch 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

it takes a real effort of will to slow down coming off Castlemorton common

aye. They need something imposing and threatening* to make them realise that half way along the 1,500m of dead straight road they can see, the limit goes from NSL to 30mph. NOT 60 mph until you think “well that’s far enough into the village now, I’ll ease up a bit to 55”

* like alligator teeth or rising bollards.

I give up with Worcs County/Malvern Hills. Everything starts with an excuse and gets shittier from there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Traffic calming measures require street-lighting’ is closed to new replies.