Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Traffic advice for M1.
  • andycs

I have to travel from Leeds to Heathrow on Friday. I need to arrive at Heathrow for 12pm. I am aware of a 15m stretch of 2 lane 50mph roadworks near M6 jnc. Does anyone know how long my journey is likely to take? Also wondered if it was worth doing M1, M42, M40 instead?

toppers3933
    Free Member

that stretch is usually 2 lanes so it seems to flow reasonably well. you may get caugt up around j21 in the mornings. just stick in lane 3 and youll clear it ok. and dont forget the contraflow 50mph limit around milton keynes/luton. leave yours at 7 at the latest. theres plenty to do at heathrow. much better to be sat there waiting than sitting on the motorway worrying.

scuttler

Hedge your bets – if you know they’re clear, go down the M69 or A43 and onto the M40. That way you miss the M1 roadworks and all but one junction of the M25. The only time I don’t go down the M40 to Heathrow/Slough or beyond is if I know it’s having severe trouble. You can even nip down the A404M at High Wycombe and go straight through to Heathrow on the M4 in case the M25’s at a standstill.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’d use the M40 if it was me. Avoids the worst of the M1 around Milton Keynes and the M25. M42 down to the M40 flows pretty well even in rush hour these days since they put in the variable speed limit system.

Mr_C
    Free Member

The roadworks around the M6/M1 junction are only about a mile long and don’t seem to cause any hold up. The 15 mile stretch is past Luton J14-J9. I would exit the M1 at J15a and take the A43 across to the M40. This will also miss the widening works on the M25 anticlockwise from the M1 junction.

My head office is in Frimley so I do this journey regularly. The best thing you can do is know your options and listen to the traffic reports on Radio 2 or 5live and adjust your route.

andycs

That sounds like a good option Mr C.

uplink
    Free Member

Normally takes me 5 hrs [with a piss stop] from Wetherby to the end of the M3
    Friday morning after the rush hour will be fine

takisawa2

I travel down from the Midlands to Crawley every few weeks. 🙁
    It slows down at the M40-M25 sometimes, but for the most part it flows ok.
    Its usually a Thu or Fri, & about 9am(ish) when I’m passing Heathrow if thats any gauge.
    Cast an eye at Google Maps on a mobile now & then, that seems to pick up the slow bits.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Traffic advice for M1.’ is closed to new replies.