• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Traditional wet shave….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…a forgotten joy. Went for a quick haircut at the local Turkish barbers and thought what the hell, let’s have a shave as well. The time and effort on the shave and cut was amazing. The last time I had a traditional wet shave was actually in Turkey about 15 years ago in a village in Cappadocia (?).

After getting over the irrational concern of a cut throat gliding across my throat, a joyous way to relax.

Wet shave, hot towels, burning alcohol, lemon cologne….the full Turkish delight.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1

The barber downstairs from our flat is Turkish, it’s the one thing I miss out on by having a beard 🙁

wolly
    Free Member

I’ve only ever had the one put me in a blinding mood all day best gift ever,

Medeteranian Barbers in York

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If only I had the time in the morning for a cut throat. Lovely close shave and the creamer lather put my Trumpers to shame!!

They did shave me twice TBF but took a good 15 minutes at least plus the hot towels.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Yes definitely a pleasure ….. I have gone back recently to a traditional double edged razor …. The blades are cheap as chips in comparison to the modern 5 blade plastic wonders. Use them once , possibly twice and then replace.

I got some Italian shaving crime that seems to last forever and regularly get comments from the ladies (!) that I smell nice ……

These days I alternate between smooth shave and 3 days growth, so tend to shave 2-3 times a week whilst in the bath, I can take my time ….. What a pleasure !

tang
    Free Member

I lived in India for a few years and the pleasure of a trip to the barbers every week is something I miss. The barber was blind, but the best in town. I was never nicked once. We still go back every year or two and my first trip is straight to his shop. The massage can get a bit extreme in some places..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4fxsWMIqM[/video]

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon. Get them to go at your beard they can make it look great

deejayen
    Free Member

Is a traditional wet shave only of benefit if you have thick stubble? I seem to get a decent shave with a multi-blade razor, so I’m not sure what difference I’d notice.

bigblackshed

deejayen – Member
    Is a traditional wet shave only of benefit if you have thick stubble? I seem to get a decent shave with a multi-blade razor, so I’m not sure what difference I’d notice.

Try it and see. There is no comparison.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The joy of immigration

Six barbers in town previously. Expensive and dodgy service. Then here come the Turks, cheapest prices, best service, friendly manner…..teach the incumbents a thing or two. I wonder if Farage would like a cut?

JAG

My Barber reckons that a traditional cut-throat is only a little better than a modern multi-blade safety razor.

He trained with an Italian Barber and spent two years learning to wet shave with a cut-throat razor before they let him shave paying customers 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Honestly, my Gillette multiblade thingymagig shaves closer if I’ve got not much stuble to start with. But only the safety razor can get through the beard, I’ve one with a comb type guide for just this purpose!

But the multiblade would irritate my skin if I shaved every day, the safety razors don’t (cheap blades changed daily help). Swings and roundabouts though, the multiblade probably left me looking presentable for a day longer than the safety razor so maybe I could have shaved less often.

There’s definitely more technique with a safety razor, I’m probably as close as i ever was with a multiblade, but going back to a multiblade is definitely closer still. So there’s a sense of achievement, a nice routine, and once you stop cutting yourself it’s quite relaxing, even nicer if someone else is doing it!

allfankledup

They need to set fire to your ears to get the full effect

Freaks the kids in the queue out …….

pirahna
    Free Member

A long time ago barber taught me how to shave with a cut throat, I still do it from time to time just to keep my hand in, but a normal wet shave from a multi blade is as good if not better. With a multi blade you need to shave twice, lather up and shave down with the flow of the hair, lather up and shave up against the flow.

everyone
    Free Member

It’s threads like this that make me want to break out my shavette again, either that or get my kamisori honed properly at long last.

P20

Never tried it, but always fancied having it done. Might give it a go, spotted a place in the nearby town

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They need to set fire to your ears to get the full effect

Had that too, they have run out of Turkish alcohol and no use brut! Haven’t seen that for years!

Burnt a bit today – briefly!,

CaptJon
    Free Member

This guy has some great videos on youtube of shaves from around the world: https://www.youtube.com/user/thenomadbarber

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll have to try one sometime.

A friend at school told me that barbers have to practice by lathering then shaving an inflated balloon… I’m not sure if this is true, but it sounds like it might be!

P20

Well I gave this ago yesterday and I won’t be in a hurry to repeat it. I’ve got quite bad razor burn and quite a few nicks. The burn is still noticeable after 24hrs… It wasn’t as close a shave as I’d hoped for either. At least that’s my curiosity killed 🙄

Cougar

A friend at school told me that barbers have to practice by lathering then shaving an inflated balloon… I’m not sure if this is true, but it sounds like it might be!

I can imagine the clean-up from that is entertaining if you get it wrong.

JAG

Yeah my Barber friend had to practice his wet shaving technique (with a cut-throat) on a lathered up balloon.

I bet he burst a few during his training 8)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Traditional wet shave….’ is closed to new replies.