Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Traditional Wellington boot or other!
  • letmetalktomark

Well after going through the sole of another pair of Merrell shoes I’ve decided to try something different.

I need something suitable for getting muddy in whilst walking the dogs.

I haven’t had a pair of wellies since I was maybe 5?

I bought Mrs LMTTM a pair of Hunter wellies a few years ago but didn’t size up so she can’t wear a welly sock and has said they are pretty cold to wear.

Not keen on the faff of needing additional socks etc soooooo…..

Do I head off to WMF for a std welly or are there other types, makes etc to seriously consider.

Recommendations and links most welcome 🙂

Cheers,

Mark

xcgb
    Free Member

Muckboots

I bought a pair last year for dogwalking and love them.too warm for summer use though, but so toasty on cold mornings

I just use normal socks and tuck them into trousers to keep them up

Easy to get on and off no handed too

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There will be three schools of thought here;
    1 – Muckboots, as above
    2 – Buy something cheap, if you spend any money at all on wellies you’re an idiot, etc
    3 – Buy some of these;

Le Chameau Vierzonord. Neoprene lined, super comfy boots. Not great in summer, but then who wears wellies in summer?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    z1ppy

Hunters are supposed to be rubbish nowadays since moving production to china, I got the g/f aigles for when shes at the stables & their lasting well (a year use so far). For occasional (less intensive) use the like of dunlops are supposed to be fine though, but as above Muckboots get a lot of love on here..

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Dickies rigger boots… tough on the outside, soft n fuffy in the middle making them warm in the cold and cool in the warm… available from Wickes… cheap

BillMC

Hunter merino shooting socks(good with wellies) can be had for £11 on Amazon at the mo instead of the usual £43. I also have a preference for French wellies, there’s less of a social cache about them so they’re cheaper and well designed to do the jobs that peasants do.

Inbred456
    Free Member

There is a slightly cheaper version of muckboots called buckler buckbootz. Neoprene lined with a slightly more flexible sole. I bought these for walking the dog about 30 quid cheaper than muckboots. Was advised by our local farmer to get a pair and they have proved superb.

dazzlingboy

Have owned the neoprene Chameaus above for years. Getting a bit worn so replaced them at the start of this winter with Muckboot Muckmasters. IMO the Muckmasters are far superior – comfort, warmth, grip – everything. And about half the price.

nealglover
    Free Member

but then who wears wellies in summer?

Every shorts wearing hipster chic that steps off Tarmac ?

MrNero50
    Free Member

I second Le Chameau.

Girlfriend has a pair, zips started to fail after 16 months and come apart. Took them back, new pair no questions asked! They come with a 2 year guarantee so yes expensive at first but a 2 year guarantee on something worn for at least 3 hours a day walking the hound works out a good deal, considering the pair of Hunters she had only lasted 6 months.

Kuco

I’ll say avoid Hunters, sisters on her 3rd pair in 6 months and the shooting brigade at work no longer rate them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Having destroyed expensive ones in a matter of weeks I’m now sporting Dunlop short wellies. £12 a pair.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ll say avoid Hunters, sisters on her 3rd pair in 6 months and the shooting brigade at work no longer rate them.

If you have to, get Balmorals and not the classics. Get far too many returned at work!

CountZero
    benp1

Muckboots definitely

I have some derwents which have been great, though if its for properly muddy areas a different tread pattern might help

Comfy and warm

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Traditional Wellington boot or other!’ is closed to new replies.