Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trading Stocks and Shares – Newbie Advice
  • corundum
    Free Member

Am interested in starting in trading as a DIY using an online platform. Have been monitoring a few companies etc for a few months so have an idea of what I would like to buy. Mainly unsure of which platform to go with as costs seem to vary based on frequency of trading etc. I would be more inclined to purchase up to 20 key stocks and then monitor and maintain rather than do frequent monthly trades due to work schedule and internet access. Any advice appreciated.

surfer
    Free Member

If you run a search you will find a few threads on this.

corundum
    Free Member

Ok thanks, will do

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Just do what my friend Warren Buffet told me. Buy Low Sell High 😆

poolman
    Free Member

I use shareview at 12.5 gbp per trade, 15 gbp annual fee to manage the isa.

Not really a frequent trader but if i changed to a low cost platform i would probably become one.

frankconway

Share dealing guide on MoneySavingExpert.

jbproductions
    Free Member

I use http://www.iii.co.uk/ £20 a quarter but the money is credited towards trades which are £10 each. You can hold your shares in an ISA or Standard account or indeed both. Not the slickest website but probably one of the cheapest.

surfer
    Free Member

I use iII also. found them to be very good. SIPP and ISA.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You might wamt to look at the iShare platform and think about merit of trading individual companies vs bigger picture asset allocation decisions eg sector by sector and country by country. Maybe a bit if both ?

I am “talking my book” as I prefer the sector/country style than trying to pick individual winners

duckers
    Free Member

I’m interested in opinions too, and also in investment platforms such as hl, fidelity, etc, and comparing fees, flexibility, whether they allow cash pots incase the market goes pear shaped and you need to shift to cash or something less risk in a hurry…

footflaps

They all allow cash pots, it’s just un-invested money in your account. You don’t get any interest on it though.

poolman
    Free Member

The cash pot sitting there earning nothing is effectively your insurance against falling stock prices. I always keep some cashand have bids on to buy stocks i like at lower than current market prices.

Also consider parking cash in a fund with a good income stream, i have property one which pays monthly and has no stamp duty on purchase. So i dip in and out of it as the price fluctuates. I cannot recommend it but questor in the telegraph feb 17 tipped it.

andykirk
    Free Member

Only buy what you understand and what you feel confident in.

20 stocks seems excessive.

The Motley Fool is a good resource. For U.S Stocks anyway.

Be aware that Donald Trump could wipe out all your money in one ill-judged Twitter post. This is very likely.

jambalaya
    Free Member

“Cash pots” just be aware that these trading platforms do not provide deposit protection insurance, ie if the trading platform goes bust you will lose your cash – your shares should be safe though. Personally I would not keep substantial cash balances in one, would transfer out to my bank then back again when needed.

acidchunks

Cash pots” just be aware that these trading platforms do not provide deposit protection insurance, ie if the trading platform goes bust you will lose your cash

OP. This is absolute bollocks. Check the compensation arrangements for whoever you decide to invest with. They will provide a level of protection for your cash balance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trading Stocks and Shares – Newbie Advice’ is closed to new replies.