Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tradesmen…again. WTF?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Had a quote from a tiling company for a smallish job (£650’s worth) & was informed they’d start on the 3rd July. Then told a short while after that they’d overrun on a job & couldn’t start till the 15th, fair enough said me, crap happens, I’ll wait. Got an email today to say they now couldn’t start for another 2 months. Now I need to find another tiler, & they’re like rocking horse shite.
    If you’re looking for a trade to train in, Tiling.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So they got a big job which they didn’t want to lose because of your piddling little one. Be grateful they even bothered to let you know, I wouldn’t have……on account of your generally unpleasant attitude 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

It bloody pays well too. Had some work done on a small development the other month. Simple “brick tiles” 125×75 or something like that. Everything supplied bar tile spacers as most don’t use them. Ensuite shower room enclosure and sink splash back, family bathroom around bath and sink splash back and downstairs lav sink splash back in three houses.
    On price at 20/metre. She (I might add) earnt 320/day for three days and was done and dusted for 3pm on each of those days 😯

everyone
    Free Member

You could always do it yourself? Tiling’s not particularly challenging, you just need to be methodical.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have……on account of your generally unpleasant attitude Explain my ‘unpleasant attitude’ Please?
    I have the same respect for you too Ernie. You were nicer when you were banned but your’e brilliant as a ‘wind up merchant’ (as this reply has proved) & It’s nice to hear your input, but you’re better at politics. Anyway, I digress…..

I know It’s a small job in the grand scheme of things but for crying out loud why don’t people just say at the start, ‘soz mate, too small a job’ then I could’ve looked elsewhere a month ago!

You could always do it yourself? Tiling’s not particularly challenging, you just need to be methodical.
    I know, but I work silly shifts, I can (kind of) afford not to & It’s 65 miles away.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Always grumpy 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good memory Ernie.

dingabell
    Free Member

Trust me, it doesn’t always pay well.
    I do it for £130 a day and never finish before 5pm.
    I don’t even stop for lunch.
    Should really charge more I suppose.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Most of the tilers I know do big commercial stuff and their knees and backs and hands are shot by the time they are in their early 30s. It’s hard graft , I wouldn’t do it as a career. Get your hands dirty and do it yourself, its not hard.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get your hands dirty and do it yourself, its not hard.
    I’m an ex plant fitter by trade so I’m kinda used to dirty hands!
    Like I said, shift work & 65 miles away doesn’t help.

Dingabell, are you in the North East?!

northernmatt

Is it up my way you need someone? I have a couple of numbers for this area I can give you.

edit – should have read your last post, I’ll email you them now.

kennyp
    Free Member

I tried tiling once in our bathroom. I will now happily pay whatever it takes to have someone else do it, and do it properly.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks Matt. (again) 😉

dingabell
    Free Member

Sorry mate I’m in the South East.

hora
    Free Member

Sorry mate I’m in the South East.

You are too cheap. Seriously. If I could find a tiller in the NWest that’d work for £150 labour – let me know.

I had a quote to do a small floor tilling job recently- I provide all kit (except the floor need scree(sp?) – £350 for the labour (1xday).

There must be a new build housing boom and/or………is it a busy trade in Summer? (even though its indoors)

wwaswas

I had a quote to do a small floor tilling job recently

But there’s wear and tear on the tractor and harrows to consider.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tradesmen…again. WTF?’ is closed to new replies.