Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tradesman/building work- what are fair prices to do these jobs?
  • hora
    Free Member

Really one of them I should do myself(?)

Carport- in fantastic condition- needs corrugated plastic clear roof removing/replacing. I’ve been quoted £360 inc the new sheets and fitting. Fair price? I could go to B&Q and have a go myself?

Scree and lay circa 7sq metres of floor tiles (tiles supplied by me). £380. Is that a good price? I’ve said no- too much so hes come back to me and said ok what price? He previous did some tiling for me (and did a good job).

I’ve asked for other quotes but everyone locally seems to be too busy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Roof doesn’t seem bad at all. What’s the cost of the sheets?
    What is scree prior to tiling?

BigJohn

Checkyourprice is a useful starting point.

woffle
    Free Member

try ratedpeople website – we found painter decorators through the site after local firms either messed us about or quoted ridiculous prices. They provided references we could follow up too and were as good, if not better, than we expected.

As an indication I’ve paid (day rates) £100 per day for odd jobs / decorators and £150 a day for craftsman level carpenter. £380 for 7sq metres sounds like he’s taking the proverbial somewhat – are they supplying adhesive etc?.

Presuming you mean screed and it’s floor tiling?

footflaps

I’d rather pay more for someone who does an excellent job than a bargain and get a below average finish….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, I didn’t realise there were sites that shit (ie checkyourprice) still on the internet.

As for stuff lie ratedpeople and the likes, YMMV!!! You can be lucky but some of the guts I know who get work from them…well, I wouldn’t have them in my house.

hora
    Free Member

I’d rather pay more for someone who does an excellent job than a bargain and get a below average finish….

Me too but if I got a below average finish I wouldn’t pay a penny.

A painter and Decorator subcontracted a bloke in who painted over dirty/plaster covered ledges. I was abit peeved over that as I booked him on his previous work not some half-cut washed up bloke whose work I’d never seen as the original was busy…

Yep including screed. Whats a fair price then to go back to him on? I’d say £250?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Screed? You mean adhesive then? Screed is the actual floor you lay on. 7sqm isn’t a full days work so <300 if he’s supplying everything is a bit more like it.

Tom83

The tilers I know charge between 100-150 for day rate. Couple of days work as the screed will need to go off, day to tile and depending on adhesive used might be able to grout that same day. If your providing all the materials 300 would be top end.
    What are the tiles , made from out of interest? Do they need sealing?

Tom83

Wrighty- Screed as in self levelling compound.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve not chosen the tiles yet but they’d be biggish and possible slate finish.

senorj

The carport sounds like a days work, so £360 seems a bit high.
    The tiling – depends on how much prep is required and may require two visits .Screed to dry, adhesive to dry , grout & clean,so £300/£325 maybe. However , if you’re happy with his previous work& he’s available
    when it’s convenient to you ,then pay up.
    As for doing it yourself ..I usually work out(guess) how long it’ll take me ,huffing & puffing and then factor in the fact that I’d rather be playing with my boy/riding my bike.

Tom83

If its slate hora, it’ll need a few coats of sealer, adding extra time to allow it to dry, and a wet wheel to cut. If he’ll do it for £350, go for it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

New one on me. Screed is screed in my book.
    Cempolaytex, levlay, self leveller etc is what I’d call it.
    So to be fair it ain’t a bad price as its two days in theory.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tradesman/building work- what are fair prices to do these jobs?’ is closed to new replies.