Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trades folks. Carry overshoes?
  • benz
    Free Member

Last week an issue with heating. Under warranty so Manu appointed engineer turned up.

Recent new carpets down so asked that he wear some overshoes that we have. He seemed incredibly miffed that we even asked and did so reluctantly.

So….how many folks routinely carry and use these when doing work in folks homes?

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t even go into private houses with work but I do visit offices to demo instruments.

I always carry overshoes in a pocket just in case and always offer to use them at this time of year, even if my shoes are fairly clean.
    Normally people say not to worry about it, but it doesn’t hurt to ask, and gives the right impression.

He sounds like an arse if he was annoyed by you asking him not to ruin your carpets.

rwamartin
    Free Member

We have done. The ones we had were prone to tearing though. I will always ask if they’d like me to take my shoes off. As per nealglover, it sets the right impression.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Every trade I’ve had to deal with offered to take shoes off or had over shoes. In a previous life when I did some work in people houses I never had over shoes but had some sheets that I would lay down on my route in and out / work area then fold up to shop any dirt being tracked in and out.

cinnamon_girl

Is it possible to buy these disposable ones? Thinking they could be useful at this time of year when on the bike and wanting to visit pub/church/shop etc.

footflaps

Chimney sweep always comes with them, I tell him not to bother as I end up cleaning cat vomit of the carpets at least once a week, so a bit of soot won’t make much difference!

mrsfry
    Free Member

Virgin media have blue disposable ones

scaredypants

is this some sort of “confessions of a windowcleaner” euphemism

Yes, I’d always wear “overshoes” for a “new client”

giant_scum
    Free Member

Virgin Media engineers are encouraged to wear them, I believe they get marked down if a customer complains about them not being worn thus affecting bonuses.
    As for your not friendly gas engineer raise a complaint to his company, customer is always right and all that jazz.

project
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy these disposable ones? Thinking they could be useful at this time of year when on the bike and wanting to visit pub/church/shop etc.

Toolstation sell them by the box only a few quid a box

project
    Free Member

Strange how some customers are so possesive of their carpets, while others a full biological suit is required before entering, carpets are meant to be walked on, and non of us trades will knowingly walk dirty safety shoes or boots into somebodies house, and due to our health and safety we dont take them off either.

bigad40
    Free Member

My feet are size 13 and for years couldn’t get any covers in my size, boots off..
    Always have the covers in the van now.
    Cheap pack from screw fix lasts forever even though they only last once.
    Any trip outside requires a new pair when needed.
    Carpet protector roll for longer jobs.

Some of the boiler manufacturers employees can be miserable, but generally they’re professional and polite.
    I do hate white/light carpets though. Even with covers on its a worry, I’ve had a screwdriver fallout my tool bag and leave a nice mess on her carpet!, scardeypants you can make of that what you will!!

Marin
    Free Member

Yep I have the CSI overshoes and massive rolls of clingfilm floor cover if I have to walk along hallways etc to get to relevant room. But for what it’s worth the customer is not always right and is sometimes a massive hunt. Though pleased to say tomorrow’s is a lovely customer.

nealglover
    Free Member

Strange how some customers are so possesive of their carpets, while others a full biological suit is required before entering,

No stranger than how how some tradesmen will happily supply their own overshoes and put them over clean shoes to keep the customer happy, while others will get the hump if asked to wear them.

And I agree, the customer is not always right, sometimes they need to have things explained to them, like why boots don’t come off at the door as they may prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trades folks. Carry overshoes?’ is closed to new replies.