Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Trade team tops are…
  • reluctantlondoner

…generally awful.

Has/have there been any jerseys to better La Vie Claire or Z from the 80s?

Trying and failing to think of any. Whatcha got?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The Sky kit has been consistently classy, and I’ve quite liked the last few Lotto kits (and bikes)

Edit, you’re never going to beat the Z kit

Edit2 Rapha Condor wasn’t bad either

Wookster

One of my favourites. Got one from Prendas.

mtbfix

Trade team tops are…an item of clothing that ought not be available for retail. The very worst example of MAMIL-ness.

maccruiskeen

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Like modern day corporate Harlequins sad bordering on tragic. Most moto x gear is even worse! Psychedelic fluorescent dazzle camouflage with branding on every millimetre of fabric, visible from space 😆

Should be given away free wearing that much advertising about your person.

theotherjonv

Love the new Lotto Soudal Paris Nice top. OK, it’s Lotto Fix All, but you know what i mean.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Pah, snobs*. I like trade tops. The Lotto one is nice and the Belkin one was too. Favourite from yesteryear is the PDM jerseys and Gatorade, though the La Vie Claire and Z are crackers. I did like the pink T Mobile top as well.

*Admittedly I seem to prefer if they are at least a few years old and definitely not full kit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trade team top?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Early 1990s had some decent tops

PDM (gert Jan thenuisse)

Motorola (Sean Yates)

Travail-temporare (charley mottet)

Banesto (indurain)

By far the worst trade top…

Castorama (Laurent fignon)

lunge

The current crop are, largely, OK if a little dull. Lotto is very nice, and I quite like FDJ but bar they are all a little dull.

However, get yourselves over to Prendas and treat yourselves to some retro goodness. Molenti and St Raphael for the win.

tang
    Free Member

Carrera double denim anyone?

hairylegs
    Free Member

Trade team tops are…an item of clothing that ought not be available for retail. The very worst example of MAMIL-ness.

+ 1

and fall into the same category as replica football shirts

…straight into Room 101!!

the-muffin-man

Back in the day I bought one of these…

…and used it when riding my mountain bike.

timb34
    Free Member

In terms of simplicity and visual impact I don’t think there’s been better than the Cervelo test team tops with the big é on the back:

In fact I think that for most circumstances on the road a big constrasting form like that is probably more visible than flouro yellow.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had a couple of Garmin Slipstream replica jerseys like this, but in my defence I was given them for nothing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had some Peugeot Z kit from a bargain bin BITD, but I wouldn’t have picked it out as an all-time great.

This on the other hand…

I was gonna suggest the red/white Lotto Soudal kit above, I also quite like this…

lunge

I would never ride in a current team top, partly as they’re not that nice, partly as I don’t want to look like a middle aged man in a football shirt.

However, retro tops I don’t mind, I have a La Vie Clare top I wear and am debating another one or 2 as well. I also have an old Belkin top from the clearance sale a few years ago though it’s rarely worn.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think the national squad jerseys are generally nicer than the trade team one due to them being simpler and less of a mobile advertising hoarding (which I know is the point of a trade team jersey). The only one i can think of that I’ve liked in the last few years is the IAM cycling jerseys.

jonba
    Free Member

The Drops team stuff is nice as is the Rapha-Canyon stuff. Women’s teams though so I’d feel wierd wearing it even if it was available in mens cut.

http://www.dropscycling.com/team

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/canyonsram

ferrals
    Free Member

hairylegs – Member

+ 1

and fall into the same category as replica football shirts

…straight into Room 101!! [/quote]

+2 for trade team tops.

The football/rugby/[other sport as appropriate] tops needs to be qualified that its bad if you are popping to the shops but OK if you are going to watch a game.

I like the Ag2r la mondial (sp??) tops though (not to wear, when watching cycling on telly)

the-muffin-man

Trade team tops on their own, with plain black shorts, worn on a bike are sort of OK IMO.

Full trade team get-up – the whole shebang – socks, shorts, cap, jersey, overshoes, gillet. Never, ever, only if you ride for that team.

Trade team tops worn as and everyday t-Shirts with jeans or cargo shorts – there are no words for this sort of deviant! 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Have a kick around in the park with your mates, wearing a football shirt and no-one blinks an eyelid. Wear a trade top when cycling and the snobs reach for the pitch forks.

mcj78
    Free Member

tang
    Carrera double denim anyone?

Seen a guy last year at a charity ride with the full thing on – it was breathtaking 😀

This one:

nickc

There was a guy I used to see regularly in full cervelo test team kit, everything from shoes to helmet, he was a big unit mind, but seemed to be having fun.

oliverracing

My personal favourite!

mcj78
    Free Member

Not a trade team unfortunately, however I think the comedy Gregg’s one deserves a mention for the attention to detail & the sausage roll sticking out the rear pocket

GHill

I like the new JLT Condor kit. Wouldn’t personally wear any trade team kit though.

matt_outandabout

Personally, and maybe I am showing age here, but I do not get desire to have random MegaCorp logo’s all over me.

Trade team tops should be just for the team IMO.

smell_it
    Free Member

Have a kick around in the park with your mates, wearing a football shirt and no-one blinks an eyelid.

Get you Wayne Rooney 😉

celticdragon

My 3 favorite tops are the last 3 tops form the same team!

Specialized Lululemon – very different and no advertising, you knew who the team were

Velocio Sram – Again very different, and I have one breaking my own rule of owning pro tops in the process

Canyon Sram – The Rapha kit is again very different.

chakaping
    Free Member

Personally, and maybe I am showing age here, but I do not get desire to have random MegaCorp logo’s all over me.

I think it’s something that used to be more popular in the past than now TBH.

Also think the “full kit ****” snobbishness reveals more about the snobs than the FKWs.

note: I don’t mean you Matt.

aracer
    Free Member

Though for slightly different reasons they’re an even bigger fail for a punter wearing one for a ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

*puts world champions jersey on and cycles past aracer casually*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pah, snobs*. I like trade tops. The Lotto one is nice

+1

I got one of the knock-off ones from ebay, full kit for £15 and it’s actually really good!

I draw the line at wearing the shorts and top together though. I either put leggings over the shorts for winter rides or just with a.n.other top for mtb.

SaxonRider

I quite like some of the current teams’ looks, but a sentimental favourite has always been this one:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I overtook the world road race champion the other day, as it happens. I was on my Brompton.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have bits and pieces. A Lampre Merida winter jacket which I picked up cheap and is very visible on winter rides. A team sky jersey from about 2011 that I rarely wear. A Canyon SRAM gilet because I really like the kit. Some Pearl Izumi sports tours shorts, and a Boels Dolmans coloured helmet. Wearing the last three at the same time gives a rather confused look…

The last time someone overtook me wearing a world champions jersey it was Tom Pidock. I think he’s allowed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Trade team tops are…’ is closed to new replies.