Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trad. Bonfire Night foods – what's yours?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Local delicacies are Parkin, treacle toffee & black peas – absolutely bloomin’ lovely! 😆

sc-xc

every year we have (and have just had) veggie hot dogs & onions with little jacket potatos

FoxyChick
    Free Member

How bizarre…heard about black peas for the first time today!

Ours…baked spuds, rubbed with salt, cut in two and slathered with butter, wrapped in tin-foil and then eaten while warm!!

Oh, and treacle toffee.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Parkin. OMNOMNOM.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve given up trying to explain black peas to non- north westerners!

Suffice to say, hot with loads of salt & vinegar!

Just breaking out the parkin now..

FoxyChick
    Free Member

But muddy…I am a north-westerner!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Aye FC, but unless you’re from Rochdale, Bury or Oldham you won’t have grown up with them. Same with Parkin i’m led to believe.
    Those effete folk over in the eastern wildernesses ‘think’ they can make parkin but their version is just a whimpy ginger cake with added golden syrup, not the real stuff at all!

speaker2animals

When my dad was alive and I was a kid we used to have a good bonfire in the garden. He always used to cook jacket spuds in the ashes by wrapping them in foil and dropping them in to the embers. The VERY best tasting jacket spuds EVER! Seemed to go really sweet. Get a similar effect now when I BBQ by sticking the spuds in foil in amongst the charcoal but doesn’t seem to get quite the same level of sweet taste. Maybe that is just down to the fact that the spuds would have been grown by my dad and were just dug up fresh, and also may just be whatever variety of spud he grew.

As others state, slathered in BUTTER! With Mum’s home made sausage rolls. Bliss. Bit poorly so am stuck in the house rather that being at a local cricket club Bonfire with my mates and their kids, which is pretty much of a let down to someone like me.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Going to the big one in Hebden Bridge tomorrow night. Will be taking proper food though as they can’t do it right over there! 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trad. Bonfire Night foods – what's yours?’ is closed to new replies.