Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Track pumps – price variance
  • eightyeight
    Free Member

There seems to be a huge price variance, some in my local Evans are £85! But would my air really be of lesser quality if I bought this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veloset-Alloy-Floor-Track-Hand-Pump-Alloy-Barrel-Schrader-Presta-Dunlop-Valves-/230889586123?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_BikePumps_SR&hash=item35c2177dcb

Northwind

I use Blackburn Air Tower 2s that cost me £15 each, they feel like cheap toys but they inflate tyres better than my more expensive joe blow.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind. Call it infation but I can’t find one for less than £25, might give the cheapo e-bay one a whirl.

I’ll be using it for a road bike as well, so want to get up past the 40psi mark!

root
    Free Member

I bought an airwave storm for 19.99 off CRC, seems well built and worth the money, not sure why you would pay much more tbh.

edit: this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47804

Junkyard
    Free Member

That one looks small to me but it does not state the size

IME they all work [ even cheapo supermarket ones] but a more expensive one will work for longer.

For occasional use it would do but I dont think you would want it in a workshop

YMMV

eightyeight
    Free Member

The chain reaction banner at the bottom of this page swung me (I’m susceptible to advertising) and I went with Root.

YMMV – I had a google that one!

spyke85
    Free Member

Revolution ones from Edinburgh Bicycle, £15, smart head. Does job perfectly!

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I think there is a limit but in my experience the (slightly) more expensive ones tend to be more efficient, have a more reliable pressure gauge and a generally higher build quality!

I’d always want to steer clear of the real cheap ones, but I wouldn’t be spending £85 on one either!

warpcow
    Free Member

Same as Northwind: been using an Airtower 2 for years now and it does everything as a pump should (including putting up tubeless tyres). Nice that most parts are replacable too, which I had to take advantage of when I dropped a ‘persuader’ on the gauge.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Track pumps – price variance’ is closed to new replies.