Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Track pumps and pressure gauges (boring but essential)
  • m360
    Free Member

I’m currently using a no-name plastic track pump that was left behind when previous tenants moved out. It works, but the gauge is crude (10psi increments) and it only fits Schrader valves.

I have, however, used it LOADS on presta valves with an adapter over the last year, so decided it’s time to get a better one without an adapter (bit of a faff to be honest). It’ll be put in the car when travelling for mountain biking, and used weekly for the commuter for checking pressures.

Any recommendations, sub £25. Preferably with an easy to read gauge (in 1psi increments rather than 10psi!).

I was looking at these:

Ice Tools

Park Tools

They all look the same to me to be honest, as does the £10 Giro pump they also have in store! Any major differences? Very pleased with my Blackburn mountain pump, and it has readily available replacement seals and bushes. Guessing Park Tools may also be the same?

Also, is it better to get a separate pressure gauge or do you mostly just go by the track pump gauge? Recommendations for a presta gauge if so? Not so bothered about accuracy if resolution and repeatability is good enough.

Northwind

I’ve got 2 of those airtowers (one in the car, one in the garage). They’re cheap and nasty, pretty plasticky and rattly and that… But they’re really good pumps, they shift a load of air and the gauges seem good. I had a nice Joe Blow before that which was much nicer to use, better made, felt more solid and more quality… Wasn’t that good at pumping though.

(accurate doesn’t really matter much for gauges, mostly you want repeatability/consistency and they’re fine for that).

rocketman
    Free Member

Would recommend getting one with a gauge that is actually readable for the pressures you use.

Once had a Lezyne track pump that would go to 200 psi which was not that much use at MTB pressures

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those relatively cheap yellow Topeak Joe Blow pumps and I think it’s very good, especially for the price. I’ve also got a more expensive Topeak one which I won at a race and it’s atrocious in comparison.

Both my Topeak pumps give different readings. If you want a ‘real’ measurement for your tyre pressure you’ll prob be best with a separate pressure gauge.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the park pumps are pish . even their top end one was crap.

Bontrager budget ones are good.

RustySpanner

We’ve got a Blackburn (broke, replaced without question) & a Bontrager, which feels cheap and nasty but is fine to use, as NW said.

The gauges vary by 10psi!

milky1980
    Free Member

From my experience anything under £25 is going to be hit-and-miss as to whether it A: works and B: lasts.

I’ve settled on a Lezyne Steel Floor Drive track pump (paid £26 but CRC have it for £29.49) and a Topeak Digital Pressure Gauge for £20. Both have been flawless and work on my mtb, commuter and the car tyres with no fuss. It even gets my ghetto fire extinguisher compressor-thingy up to 180psi easily! The gauge on the Lezyne was accurate until a neighbour borrowed it and managed to massively over pressurise it somehow, it now resets to 20psi instead of 0 but is still accurate once you do the subtraction.

It may seem a bit odd spending £50-60 on just measuring tyre pressures on an mtb but I’ve found a 2-3psi on the mtb makes a massive difference. Plus the pump and gauge should last 10 years+ so for a fiver a year it’s worth it in my mind.

m360
    Free Member

Thanks all, seems it may be a case of go and have a play, see which feels good to use.

Shame about the Park Tools pump though, as I can get one cheaper than the rest! I can also get the TruFlo MaxTrax pump pretty cheaply as well if they’re any good?

Will look at Lezyne, didn’t want to be spending a fortune but would like a steel barrel I think. An extra fiver isn’t so much if I get one on sale.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve just got Edinburgh Bicycles own brand track pump for £15, seems good for the money but only used it a couple of times.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Track pumps and pressure gauges (boring but essential)’ is closed to new replies.