Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Track pump for MTB and Road bikes
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Been reading previous topics about track pumps but they were for specific MTB/tubeless use.

I’m wondering what’s the best track pump for use on both MTB and Road tyres as I’d prefer to buy one all-rounder than buy specific ones for each type?

xiphon
    Free Member

Those yellow ones – Joe Blow or something?

Got one at home, and it does both valve types 🙂

stox
    Free Member

Go mine from Evans … It was £20 about 5 years ago .. Both valves, Pressure Gauge. It’s all the pump you could need

nickswolves
    Free Member

Thanks but it’s not the valve types I’m interested in as both are presta, but a pump thats capable of use on both types of tyre(they have different volume requirements MTB – High volume/low pressure and Road – High pressure/low volume).

creamegg
    Free Member

Joe Blow does up to 160psi

IHN

I think unless you’re trying to inflate track tyres to 160psi, any track pump will be fine for both, certainly has been for me.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Ok, just wanted to check that something like the Joe Blow Sport would deal with both as I know the Joe Blow Mountain is MTB specific for example.

Taking it that the Lezyne Sport Floor Drive would be fine too then!

cp

If you’re anywhere near a Decathlon, these are brilliant

zerocool

Lezyne steel road pump is good. robust to

FuzzyWuzzy

As track pumps have much larger air chambers than mini-pumps they don’t need two versions (LV/HP), all of them should be able to cope easily with road tyre pressures whilst still putting in enough air per stroke to be fine for MTB tyres. Having said that I have a Blackburn Air Tower 5 which does have a switchable mode for increased volume per stroke but I never use it (even on MTB tubeless) as it’s much more effort and not really any quicker.
    Only real decision factors for me if buying a new one would be:
    1). Pressure gauge placement
    2). How good is the valve connector head
    3). Is it user-serviceable/are rebuild kits available
    4). Any reported issues
    5). Price

xiphon
    Free Member

I use my Joe Blow on both road and MTB… zero difference

MrGreedy

I use my Joe Blow on both road and MTB… zero difference

Same here.

Also, I misread the thread title as “Pump tracks for MTB and road bikes” and am most disappointed not to see details of an awsum tarmac arrangement for the TdF boys to practice their manuals on (for dog avoidance etc).

xiphon
    Free Member

Here’s one very happy user…

workhard
    Free Member

One Joe Blow does all my bikes, road and mtb, at home.

Another Joe Blow does all the bikes at work from Pashleys and BSO’s to carbon framed race bikes.

I sense a theme emerging….

Nobby

Been using the same Park one for years – they were being discounted @ Parkers last time I looked.

TiRed

Another satisfied Joe Blow user. It replaced my misplaced Silca, and, with the smart head, I’ve never looked back. Miss the nice wooden handle, mind.

cloudnine
    Free Member

20% off the Joe blows at halfords if you reserve online and collect instore

m1kea
    Free Member

Track pumps with wide (wooden) handles and a decent wide foot have a nicer balance. If you’re getting on in years, having the pressure gauge at the top of the barrel makes it easier to read.

I’d avoid ones with plastic handles and feet myself.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

not impressed with Joe Blows, my SKS is much better,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Track pump for MTB and Road bikes’ is closed to new replies.