• This topic has 32 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Track Pump, buy cheap buy twice or will any one do?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi

I’m after a track pump for going tubeless and I’m just wondering does cost in this case make a big if any difference?

For example Halfords have one at £10 but most on Wiggle etc are £30+.

Do I buy the cheapest I can find or pay more?

Edric64
    Free Member

silca ones last for ever and some spares are available mine is 20 years old now

peteimpreza

Topeak Joe Blow. Mine is nearly seven years old and still working flawlessly.

martymac

+1 for silca, my mate has had one for 17 years.
    i have a £30 one from halfords, had it a few years, but im doubtful if i needed spares.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Joe blow looks like a good deal. £22 at CRC

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Joe Blows are great- very dependable.

I find cheap track pumps take longer to pump, aren’t as stable (plastic base plate just isn’t heavy enought), the seals in the head and shaft don’t last long enough and they aren’t as comfy on your hands.

myheadsashed

sks rennkompressor

as per the silca spares available forever

bassspine
    Free Member

joe blow: they last about 6 months of every day workshop use, probably about ten years of home use.

we bought in a rennkompressor special order for a customer with tubs because it’s ‘industry standard’ it broke on the first tyre. not convinced. And they only do presta.

myheadsashed

mine does both….and is yrs old

andrewh
    Free Member

Had an SKS something or other, green metal one with a wooden handle. Lasted around nine years, only cost £15 too.
    THen got a plastic Halfords one for less than a tenner, lasted two years, got another SKS now but they seem to have stopped doing the nice metal ones, although the new one does have a gauge.

z1ppy

Joeblow are ace, I reconditioned mine for £2.50 after 5 years use, brought it back to new condition.
    Though a m8 has one of the red home brand track pumps from Halfords & it seems to pack a might punch.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Does anyone have much experience of the Lezyne ones? I really like Lezeyne stuff, mainly because it is pretty. Are the pumps any cop?

scuttler

Bought a cheapie from Argos that didn’t last long. Now got a Joe Blow. Very solid and definitely recommended.

Joxster
    Free Member

I’ve had a SKS Kompressor since 1984 and a Pedros that I leave in the boot when I got MTBing.

Northwind

My Tesco one is doing fine… But my Joe Blow is better. Pumps faster, has a longer stroke etc. And considering I expect it to last the next 10 years or so the extra cost isn’t much.

retro83
    Free Member

Can anybody compare the Joeblow to the Blackburn Air Tower ?

I’ve got the Blackburn, it’s worked a treat so far, but the stanchion seems to be getting loose (after 2 years or so)

bassspine
    Free Member

I really wanted to like the SKS rennkompressor. heavy base, wooden handles, beautifully made, repairable, etc etc, but it just didn’t justify the price 🙁

rs
    Free Member

i have a 10 year old Halfords cheap plastic one, still works fine.

tommytowtruck

I rate my Lezyne one. A bit pricey but seems well made.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t like my Joe de Blow

Seems leaky when connecting and a bit wobbley

PJM1974
    Free Member

I bought a Halfords special track pump back in 2005 for £20. It’s still going strong.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive had a blackburn one for about 5 years, i have replaced the innards of the head twice. But it leaks or fails to inflate. Crap.

Why is it so hard to find one that works well – its not a complicated bit of kit FFS.

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for Silca cast iron base metal barrel – had mine since 1987.

petrieboy

10 year old Joe blow here. Hose perished last year but got a replacement from CRC easily. No complaints

schmiken

Blackburns are crap!

takisawa2

I’ve a Bell one from Asda. Paid £11 about 5yrs ago. Still working perfectly. Has steel barrel. Gauge reads about 10psi low though.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll have a peak in asda tomorrow, if not seen a couple in JE James so I’ll pick on up. I’m itching to get tubeless.

stayhigh

I’ve had a Specialized Air Tool for about 5 years now and has been great for tubeless. Recently it began to stick on the down stroke and became very juddery. On closer inspection the o ring inside has given up the ghost and now it doesnt work at all. I’ve tried a couple of local DIY places but havent found one that fits, if I cant find a suitable replacement I think I’ll get a Joe Blow Sprint as IIRC it has some good reviews and scored a 9/10 in mbr a while back.

woffle
    Free Member

another + for Joe Blow here. Mine’s a couple of years old and still going strong.

coatesy
    Free Member

Had my Blackburn TP3 for years with no problems, the one in the workshop died in a matter of months.Using a Leyzine Steel Floor Drive in my bay,had to replace the connector with one from a scrap Joe Blow Sport(which lasted a few years,replaced with the same for the other bay)after very few uses as it wouldn’t fit most schraeder valve, also doesn’t put in much air per stroke so not much cop for tubeless.We also have a Joe Blow Max which we keep for tubeless inflations as it puts in hell of a lot of air per stroke, but it’s high ratio makes it very difficult to reach high pressures(the owners 10 yr old son can put his entire weight on it and it won’t move on a tyre with 35psi), may be the one to go for.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Joe Blow at home & it’s ok but nothing more.
    Had a Giant own brand Pro one in the shop & that was fantastic, but came with a price to match.

neninja
    Free Member

Another Joe Blow here – about 4 years old – the base is a bit rusty but works great otherwise

Rio

My Halfords track pump is about 8 years old and still works ok but I’ve never liked it much tbh so I use the car foot pump most of the time. If you’re just trying to get volume in then a car pump might be your best bet.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Track Pump, buy cheap buy twice or will any one do?’ is closed to new replies.