Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Track obstacles in Calverley Woods, Leeds
  • mrelectric

Most local riders will know of the dangerous obstacles in Calverley Woods but there is some publicity now:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11844371.VIDEO__Mountain_bikers_raise_alarm_over__sinister__booby_traps_set_on_woodland_trail/

devash
    Free Member

Thats a bit crap. I occasionally used to ride along the canal path to Calverley Woods when I lived in Headingley.

hora
    Free Member

Heres a shot in the dark- speak to the male dog walkers who tend to be out really early. Firmly and politely.

I bet you wouldn’t go far wrong.

I’ve experience of them in two locations. One with poo on the trail and surly the other (I’m convinced as he pushed and shoved me 20ms up the trail) was where STW podge came off due to the piled up stones under a low branch.

woody2000

I might start piling stones or digging holes in my local roads, just to teach the **** that drive on them a lesson. FFS, some people need to get a grip and live and let live a little 🙄

hora
    Free Member

No the thinking is ‘I’ve always walked here in these woods and you lot started coming here recently’.

Thats how it was explained to me. So I replied ‘are you a local/born and bred’? (no was born in London/moved up)….

shredder
    Free Member

It is getting silly now and is even worse in the woods behind Ravo (for locals)

kahunajb
    Free Member

I moved to Calverley last year and have been riding in the woods since then. There have always been a few branches across paths which I wasn’t sure whether had been put there by MTB’ers as obstacles or others. I was there on Saturday with a mate and we were both shocked by the amount of trails which have now been blocked by branches, rocks and in one place a small rock wall.

Someone or more likely some people have spent a considerable amount of time doing this. I was half expecting to come across a wire between two trees at neck height at some point.

It is not like the place is full of bikes, I occasionally see others there but it is only the odd one or two.

tmb467
    Free Member

It’s been happening in there for over a year…small things really, like branches across the trail and a rock where there are no rocks

It appears to have got worse since then tho…probably think that cos there’s new lines being ridden that they have the right to do so. Hopefully the publicity will put em off

GregMay
    Free Member

Used to happen around my old woods at home. We built up over the rocks they have moved to make nice jumps. They then took them down. Oh how we laughed.

botanybay
    Free Member

Same thing happens in the woods by the coach road in saltaire/bingley, trees over the tracks all the time.

I just hop them or put them across the footpaths, see how they like it.

fooman

I went up that way last night, met 3 guys who had been moving the logs and branches out of the way, but they could easily be dragged back on the path. Urban forests – too many conflicting users I think.

shredder
    Free Member

Waves at fooman was it you with the Pace ? 😉

fooman

That was my mate, his bike only just held together long enought to get home. Pace eh?

shredder
    Free Member

Ha I know lucky to be alive but as I said last night forgive and forget 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Track obstacles in Calverley Woods, Leeds’ is closed to new replies.