Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Track ends, Singlespeed, chain tension. Eh..
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

I have a trialsy frame I've used for ages with a springy tensioner for singlespeed use (trials bike, so one gear suits all). Problem is that the mech hanger has sheared off and I can't find a replacement (frame was a prototype). So I'm trying to run without a tensioner, but with track ends I'm having trouble. Just tightening up the QR = pretty big slips when bouncing on the rear end. I've got some chain tugs but they're never going to work without a massively extended axle.

Any ideas?

aP
    Free Member

Why not just get a new hanger made up? A friend of mine rescued a cervelo TT frame with track ends after it's owner discovered that he would have to buy a new £3,000 frame as the warranty didn't cover such damage.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Maybe try a Halo Hex skewer rather than a QR – they do up with an allen key so might be a bit easier to tighten enough not to slip. Or funn bolts would probably be even better – that's what I've got on my track bike. I'd still use chain tugs with either though.

nickc

bolt up hub?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had considered a better QR, but as it is it seems to eat into the frame material when tighten it and it slides. I put in some small alu blocks but it doesnt let me adjust chain length and I'd like to bin the tensioner if poss. The hanger is a wacky design that's a bit a pain to make up, longitudinally stepped and M3ish bolts to the frame. I just can't see how I'd get tugs to work with it, without a massively extended QR – they add about 10mm to the width of the frame (I have some waiting).

rickon
    Free Member

one of these may work… http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/DMR_Chain_Tug_Mech_Hanger/5220000167/

should slip over the 10mm axle, and allow you to stick a QR on… use a camming one like Shimano.

singlespeedstu

I don't see why a Surly Tugnut wouldn't work with that frame.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The tugs I currently have are ~3mm thick and the combination of the two is too much for my QRs lengths (I've tried a few QRs)

singlespeedstu

I've used Salsa and XT QR's with the Tugnut no problem.

aP
    Free Member

Try a 140 OLN skewer then?

coffeeking
    Free Member

oooh wasnt aware there were overlength skewers! Thanks for the tip!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ah, I just remembered the reason I didn't go down the route of trying to find longer skewers. The tugs I have don't fit around the axle, only the QR. The axle is 3mm inboard of the ouside of the frame, meaning the tug would have to be the full width of the frame to take any force from the axle, otherwise its the QR that would be taking the load.

singlespeedstu

The Tugnut has a stepped insert that overcomes the problem of using a QR.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Track ends, Singlespeed, chain tension. Eh..’ is closed to new replies.