• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Del.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • track days
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking for some advice on a track day at the local circuit.

Was planning to take my own car as I’d like to see what its like to drive iresponsibly and on the limit. Given its due a new set of tyres shortly I guess ths is as good a time as any to find out.

Couple of questions however. Assuing I don’t crash, how harsh is a track day on your car? ie is it likely to fall apart if I give it a good thrashing round the circuit?

And secondly, tyres have got around 5 mm of tread left on them. Will I be legal to drive home after they’ve been shredded on a track for an afternoon?

Car is a boxter, if that makes any difference

scaredypants

I’d guess the main thing would be if you ram it into a lower gear on approaching corners without any thought for engine revs and drivetrain stress

– or put it off the track, obvs

(your tyres will probably be **** afterwards, probably depending on how grippy they are)

stu170
    Free Member

Fuel, you will use a shit load. Take a few jerry cans. I used to rinse a set of brake pads around cadwell. Tyres, I didn’t rinse them as much as I thought, but I was front wheel drive focus.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Depends how good a driver you are.
    The few track sessions I’ve had at work I’ve barely stressed the car, nothing outside of normal limits. Some of the instructors/test drivers can lap 10% quicker than me and the car is basically in the same state, unstressed. So they can just lap continually, until the fuel light comes on.

Send them out “no holds barred” and they’ll have brakes smoking and tyres hot enough to start disintegrating within 20 minutes. New tyres needed by lunchtime. Or mid morning fika.
    But they’ll knock another 5% off the lap time.

On the other hand, some of the guys I work with can get the brakes smoking and tyres hot despite getting round the track slower than me……

singletrackmind

Alot depends on the track temp and surface
    Bruntingthorpe is hard on tyres, I got mine to melt ( A008 ) there , smooth tarmac like Brands nowhere as bad.
    Pads, invest in some decent ones. I used to buy Ferroodo DS3000 iirc, brake fade isnt fun . Upgrade / flush your brake fluid so you knoow thats to spec.
    Do real smooth cool down laps, use the cabin heater to get some excess heat out of the cooling system . Do not park with the handbrake on with hot tinkly brakes , take some chocks
    Use decent fuel, Tesco 99 used to work well in my car
    5mm of tread is a fair bit and you might get some block squirming /tyre squeel. My preference was 2mm or so Toyo Proxes or YYokohama part worns.
    Get instruction early on in the day , take frequent breaks . By mid afternoon its possible to have an almost empty circuit due to people dropping out having destroyed their tyres / pads / brains .

garage-dweller

First time out get some tuition if it’s on offer in the first half of the morning. They won’t teach you to drive but they will help you get your head round the track, braking points and lines.

Other things to bare in mind…

There is no insurance cover on your road policy for the track
    There is no third party liability on a track day
    You will need a helmet. If you are a motorbiker your bike helmet may be ok
    Soft top cars sometimes have special rules iirc.
    Build up pace over a few laps while you find your feet
    Take regular breaks to cool you and the car (brakes) down and eat and drink sensibly. Even in a car with no heater 30 minutes can make you sweaty at this time of year.

Be careful on the way home too. Your sense of speed and application of throttle may have been altered by spending most of the day at 50+mph…

nixie

What car is it?

Northwind

I’d speak to the track too, rules and setups do vary (I signed up for one at, I think knockhill probably, then spotted in the rules “no overtaking in first 2 sessions”. I mean wtf? Glad I spotted it in time, was able to get my money back, it was a 4 session evening so, nope.

As far as hardness on the car, it’s the driver not the trackday that defines that- you see plenty of people on track that really aren’t pushing hard, there’s different ways to enjoy it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I used to do track days in my old 944. It’s harder on the car if you don’t drive properly and use your brakes and tyres too much. Often of it is a properly organised event there will be tuition available, so that might be advisable. Obviously if you have a detour into the gravel trap or tyre barrier then you’re looking at a lot of expensive damage. Also don’t think that you’ll be driving your car anywhere near the limit. It’s scary and actually quite hard – modern cars are pretty capable. I used to get through 3 tanks of fuel at £90 a tank ( at the then prices) plus another tank to fill back up, and of course there will be accelerated wear on the tyres. Having worn tyres will make their performance worse. But above all its all about fun, and you will have a lot of fun.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Used to do top marques at knockhill in my rsport clio. Was a great laugh and in the damp i was much faster than most exotica. A boxster is a great car on track but can snap as mid engined. Its all about being smooth, weight transfer to maximise turn in grip and being sensible on exit throttle.wear wise brakes were.my only issue but like others said you will horse down fuel.

-m-
    Free Member

Generally good advice above. Recommendation is normally to drive in 10-15 minute bursts, then come back into the pits to let everything cool down/recover (including yourself). If you do this then it’s easy to keep an eye on your tyres and quit whilst you’re ahead if they start wearing and you need to get home on them.

Instruction is definitely worthwhile to help you get the most out of the track and car. If you’re only booking a single session of instruction then consider doing it mid-morning – this will give you time to drive around on your own a few times to get a basic idea of the circuit and ensure you get the most benefit out of the instruction.

Assuming it’s open pit-lane format rather than sessioned then I’d personally recommend going out to do the sighting laps (follow-the-leader to give you a basic idea of where everything goes – not always compulsory for all cirucits/operators) then sitting in the pits for 30 mins after the track opens until people start coming in from their first sets of laps at which point the track will generally get a bit quieter. The first 15-20 mins on track can otherwise be a bit manic with everyone piling out.

Otherwise go, have fun, build up slowly and enjoy it. The vast majority of people on the days I’ve done are thoroughly decent and courteous if you follow the basic rules – however fast/slow the driver/car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lots of good advice from those who’ve clearly done more days than I. Excuse me if you kniw this, all fairly basic

Definitely take it easy initally and build up, this applies to each time you stop (colder tyres etc). Ahdreniline will oush you on you almost need to hold it back.

If there is instruction get some asap.

Leave your ego at home, you are there to have fun there are NO points to prove vs other cars / drivers. TBH I found it instructive to let people by and then follow them through corners to see where I was slow.

Wear on the car will depend how you drive, I never saw a need to red line every gear change, its all about trying to be smooth and fast through the turns. Don’t change down too early on braking, probably one of the things instructors have told me / stopped me doing from time to time.

weight transfer to maximise turn in grip

This in the corners is great to practice and not something its so easy to do on the road imho.

slackalice
    Free Member

5mm tread depth = no block squirm, so yippee-doo if it’s dry.

If it’s raining, or standing water, just go a bit easier.

Have fun and know your limits.

Del

I’d suggest oil and filter change before you go, if you’re between services, in addition to brake fluid.
    You’ll want trousers and long sleeves in natural materials.
    Trackdays are a great way to really get to know your car.
    Try and keep an even head and enjoy it.

Edit: might be worth looking at the car club for your marque as the club i was part of had cut a deal with an insurer for trackday insurance.

Also I would recommend a sessioned trackday rather than open if it’s your first go.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘track days’ is closed to new replies.