Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Track cycling's a bit silly isn't it…
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Cycling in its purest form

Nah mountain biking is purer

unklehomered
    Free Member

DezB – I’m a maverick… a lone lone maverick…

very lone.
    Ro5ey raises an interesting point, also the only way of going to live event and seeing the whole race.

DezB
    Free Member

Must admit I’d much rather watch a track race than a road race. If I had to, like. But that’s cos I gets bored quick dun’t I.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think track cycling came about because at the time (late 19th century) the roads were terrible and you couldn’t ride very fast on them, compared to a smooth wooden track.

Plus it’s a much more enjoyable spectator sport on a track of course, money aside. Watching a cycle race from the roadside without TV or radio is rubbish.

As for it being silly – no sillier than athletics or swimming, is it? You’re racing the other people. And you can end up shoulder to shoulder with your opponent, unlike MTB racing usually. It’s all about the competition, and if you’re not competitive then forget it.

If you are though, it’s the cycling equivalent of speedballs.

klumpy
    Free Member

It’s about being permanently 1/2 an inch from utter death carnage, it’s got speed, danger, tactics, grit, fetish wear, daft punk’s headgear, and the spectators can see the whole race.

It’s like watching suicidal trans-gender sperm riding Tron Lightcycles.

As far as Olympic cycling goes only BMX could be a better spectacle.

DezB
    Free Member

I think track cycling came about because at the time (late 19th century) the roads were terrible and you couldn’t ride very fast on them, compared to a smooth wooden track.

So you could get to the next village by avoiding the roads and cycling round and round inside a building. Ah, I see 😉

As for it being silly – no sillier than athletics or swimming, is it?
    They aren’t on bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

So you could get to the next village by avoiding the roads and cycling round and round inside a building

Er, I meant that it wasn’t as easy to have a decent fast race on them.

DezB
    Free Member

😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

They aren’t on bikes.

Maybe they should be, I recently made the following misread when reading the BBC website

Canoeing Slalom
    Canoeing Sprint
    Canoeing BMX
    Cycling Mountain Biking

sounds quite exciting…

joemarshall
    Free Member

As for it being silly – no sillier than athletics or swimming, is it?

Just the same, they even have indoor and proper events too (marathon and 10k swim). Just a slightly different balance between sports as to which ones most people do (eg. in swimming, most people don’t do outdoor events, because they are all big girls blouses or something).

trickydisco
    Free Member

track cycling is awesome. There’s nothing quite like unleashing everything you’ve got for a flying 250 and hitting the banking at such speed that your eyes wobble.. The feeling of speed on those things are immense

I love it

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Track cycling's a bit silly isn't it…’ is closed to new replies.