Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Track Cycling – Giving it a go…
  • Sparky77
    Free Member

Have always wanted to have a go on the track and looking at the Calshot website the beginners session that they offer looks interesting, has anyone had any experiences of it or got any other recommendations?

Based near Guildford so think that Calshot is probably going to be my best bet.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Done track myself and main thing is dont stop pedalling even if your knackered. it will launch you. Be smooth and wary of others around and enjoy it.

40mpg

The beginners sessions at Calshot are great, geared (sorry!) to getting you comfy on a fixie and to riding the banking, what lines to take etc.

Usually end up with some drills, possibly even a few madison-style hand slings if you’re in a competent group.

Calshot is quite tight, you get a huge feeling of speed when going flat out round the bends – I found it hard to keep my head up enough to see where I was going I was pulling that many G’s!!

Note – even though its indoors it gets bloody cold in there, wear tights and armwarmers / long sleeve. And take your own road pedals/shoes if you’ve got some.

The cafe does a great Thai curry and beer afterwards!

Mintman
    Free Member

I did the beginners 2 hour session with some work colleagues and it was awesome. Helped those who’d never even seen a fixie get to the top of the bank by the end. Only catch was there was no racing – after all it would’ve been carnage – but loads of track time so a thumbs up from me!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Did my accreditation at Calshot. Malcom is a good coach. He will take you through all the basics from set up, clipping in and braking before you are allowed near the track.

Once on you will do simple drills to get used to riding close to people and you will gradually get harder things to do.

Calshot is a very small track but its good fun. You’ll love it if you listen and take in what Malcom says.

Edit; If you’re doing it during the winter months then take plenty of warm clothing because it is soooo cold in there.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i really enjoyed my taster session at calshot.

try and get a competent group because i found the beginner session progressed v. slowly, quite rightly, as there were some people who hadn’t been on a bike in 10+ years

tonyd

I went to Calshot a few times too and loved it. Went through the intro sessions and attended a few Thursday night (IIRC) training sessions. It was fricking hard work but thoroughly enjoyable. Had to pull up a few times during the first training sessions as was about to puke, and I was in pretty good shape then (or so I thought).

I live in Fleet, Calshot is the closest. Unfortunately it proved just a little too far to keep up the training sessions, otherwise I’d probably have a track bike or three in the garage 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Track Cycling – Giving it a go…’ is closed to new replies.