Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Track Car Project
  • sbd16v
    Free Member

Sbd16v, that’s chips car isn’t it? That’s who’s car I was talking about in my earlier post, small world

Pretty sure I met you once too years ago, your astra was still naturally aspirated at the time.

hi mark

yes mate that is chips car.

I read your post just after I posted mine and remembered a mark iirc you worked for goodridge ? you had a black pulsar and im sure you were having problems killing gearboxes.

that’s how it would have been when you see it

it went though a few different engine configurations

sorry cbmotorsport for the hijack 😳

benp1

Awesome fun

Though I’d be more likely to have a track bike than a track car – money, performance and space

I’d like something RWD. I had an early E36 325i coupe with LSD, would’ve been a good track car

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Please keep us updated, I’m looking at buying a Clio 172 as a track car 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Looks just like my old one (funnily enough) – it’s not WN52 is it?

If you mean the clio, no it’s a 53 plate. 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Though I’d be more likely to have a track bike than a track car – money, performance and space

I’ve already got one of those! 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I had an early E36 325i coupe with LSD, would’ve been a good track car

That’s what I went to the Nurburgring in, albeit a 328i. Great car for the job, superb fun.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Looks like fun!

My Ibiza Cupra is due for an upgrade soon. I’m in two minds whether to sell it, or take it for a few track days and thrash it within an inch of its life.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Rammed at work at the moment but I need to book another trackday in May. I’ll have a look at dates over the weekend. Probably a weekday around the middle of the month.

Can’t leave it too late as I’ve got a Euro Tour at the begining of June.

satchm00
    Free Member

My little pocket rocket.

200bhp mountune spec engine, exhaust bits n bob, coilovers and lighter alloys. Not much done inside, just taken trim out to reduce weight.

Nothing to extreme just something to have fun in!

Milkie
    Free Member

Milkie, enjoyed your Puma run round ‘Combe. Is that a 1.7 Zetec, and what’s happened to your door trim?
    I was watching the open-top go off, I’ve seen many, many people do that at Quarry, guaranteed to bite you in the ass if you’re not careful…

That open top lost its wheel!(1:53 onwards) Saw it being brought back to the pits, I couldn’t believe that it didn’t do any bodywork damage, the guy was lucky.
    Yea the Puma is 1.7, totally standard on that video except for the FRP airbox mod and being completely stripped bar the dash. We had brake fade in the afternoon and now have ST150 brakes to go on as well as 4-2-1 manifold, sports cat, exhaust, inlet manifold and FRP cams. Also put a race battery behind passenger seat. The only thing that lets it down at Combe is the power.

If anyone is doing a track day at Combe, let me know and I’ll see if I can make it. 😉

The guy driving that Astra… Bonkers! 😉

happyrider
    Free Member

SBD build a great engine! I’ve seen a lot in single seaters and GT’s at Combe, lovely sounding!!

The Clio will be a great little car, no plans to uprate the brakes? Or just planning on some higher performance pads?

While we are posting Castle Combe Quarry pictures 🙂

Me in the #3, it’s bumpy on the right! Best tip is not to try and get it left while on the brakes at the left apex which is also a rise, always spits you off left. Just aim for the right hander and pitch it right 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The Clio will be a great little car, no plans to uprate the brakes? Or just planning on some higher performance pads?

We used to run Ferrodo DS3000’s in the Alfas, they were a great pad, so it’ll be racing fluid and new pads all round. Should be good enough.

Me in the #3, it’s bumpy on the right! Best tip is not to try and get it left while on the brakes at the left apex which is also a rise, always spits you off left. Just aim for the right hander and pitch it right

We used to brake a little just before the left kink, and then nail the throttle over he rise to pull the car through and then brake again into the right hander 🙂 Easy corner to get wrong, often with disatrous consequences, and loads of witnesses on the bank to see it all!

Milkie
    Free Member

That’s the line line I take CBMotorsport, not that I am an experienced racer whatsoever! I can see why people crash as it is tempting to not brake until after the left Apex, but then we all know what happens to those cars! 😯

happyrider
    Free Member

Yeah that’ll do it, especially with all the weight you’re getting out of it.

The Single seater is a fair bit lighter I guess so you can get away with coming off the power a little as you turn left back on it 100% once it’s on the apex then nailing the brakes and sorting it out down 2 gears while trying to maintain the momentum into it.

Quarry is a nice corner to stamp on the power as soon as you’re on the apex though, no feeding in the power business, plenty of tarmac to use and kerb on the exit. Not sure how that would go down with the new rules though…

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I once spun my car into the corn field in the middle of the circuit at Combe. I completely disappeared got it going again, found reverse, reversed out and carried on. Must of been hilarious as a spectator.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Small update:

Clio failed then passed it’s MOT today. I have a very sympathetic MOT tester, he passed it with some official advisories, and then gave me a list of unnoficial advisories. But the good news is, it’s solid and safe.

Failed on:

Headlight Beam
    No side light
    Number plate light
    Faulty hazard switch

Needs: new lambda sensor ideally (emmissions were a bit high), rear discs and pads, corroded and binding slightly. All on order and to be fitted as aprt of a big service when I get the car back from having it’s belts done.

Milkie
    Free Member

High emissions… Are you not going to de-cat for the track?

numbnut
    Free Member

Are you waiting for another car cbmotorsport? 😕

I was too but ended up cancelling!!

bazzer
    Free Member

If we are going to do Coombe pictures, this is me circa 98

kristoff
    Free Member

Ah the joys of track days. Did a few in my old mk2 golf.

If memory serves me right this was 2003 when it was running around 300bhp from an audi TT engine with quaife 6speed box and ATB diff to get the power down.

Only thing I miss is the running costs.

julians
    Free Member

I stuffed my old honda s2000 into the barriers at Quarry, dented every panel on the drivers side.

CountZero

We used to brake a little just before the left kink, and then nail the throttle over he rise to pull the car through and then brake again into the right hander Easy corner to get wrong, often with disatrous consequences, and loads of witnesses on the bank to see it all!

😆
    Too damn right! That’s why everyone gathers there, you’ve got a good view from Camp Corner into the Start/Finish, losing the cars from Folly up Avon Rise, then a big gaggle tearing into Quarry, which is always fun!
    Farm Straight, The Esses and Old Paddock can catch the unwary, too; I’ve seen someone get a Fiesta horribly out of shape, roll, and somersault into the air, with obviously disastrous results to the car’s integrity!
    Milkie, what plans for more poke? There was an FRP down my road one day, and I was talking to the owner, he’d taken it out to the Nurburgring, and his was showing 200bhp on the dyno.
    Wish I still had mine. 🙁

legend
    Free Member

I might have a very cheap lambda sensor for you in the next week or so if you’re interested? Pretty sure that a 182 one will do a 172

Milkie
    Free Member

CountZero, we have a lot of bits to be fitted, FRP cams, 4-2-1 manifold & exhaust, custom inlet manifold, FRP ECU map (remove torque limiter, raise rev limiter and slightly better grunt) & ST150 brakes, AP coilovers. Still have more stuff to remove, seats, parts of the dash, brackets, etc.

The problem at the moment is we don’t have time, I’m helping strip and rebuild a couple of pinto engines, one will be a turbo’d pinto, the other on twin 45’s, big head/cam’ed and my mate is currently half way through rebuilding his V8 for his Capri. So we probably won’t get to fit all the bits until near the end of summer. Hopefully the cars will be running for RS Combe (5th July), just maybe not finished.

I have been tempted to buy an FRP Puma, quite a nice looking car and they will go up in value as there was only 500’ish made, but it gets very expensive with the Yamaha engine to get any extra BHP out of them.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Are you waiting for another car cbmotorsport?

I was too but ended up cancelling!!

I don’t understand? Sorry if I’m being dim..!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I might have a very cheap lambda sensor for you in the next week or so if you’re interested? Pretty sure that a 182 one will do a 172

Legend – that would be great. Is it a new one or used?

Cheers

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

High emissions… Are you not going to de-cat for the track?

Maybe at some point. I’ll concentrate on the stopping and handling aspects for now. I’ll keep everything mechanical standard for now, although the car does have a stainless exhaust (cat back)

slackalice
    Free Member

Not a particularly good pic, but this started as a very original GTi, turned track day car, turned full on mod-prod hill climb and sprint missile… 20 or so years ago now. My, how time flies. It was great fun but a total money pit! 8)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

200bhp mountune spec engine, exhaust bits n bob, coilovers and lighter alloys. Not much done inside, just taken trim out to reduce weight.

satchm00 – what coilovers do you run on that Ford?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Thanks, thanks very much. Thanks to this thread and rekindling my dreams of taking the ovlov to the track one day I’m now significantly poorer than I was a few days ago. FMIC, 3″DP, SS Exhaust, Intake piping and panel filter, ecu spacer, Inlet plenum and tune ordered.
    +90bhp -lotsofmoney…

benp1

Track day to go with the track bike… nice! Looks like an RR4-7 generation fireblade

Surprising number of people with lots of man toys, as well as mountain bikes

good thread

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Well, this thread has and is going to cost me a lot of money. Just purchased a focus st 170 as a base car for my project…..

legend
    Free Member

Legend – that would be great. Is it a new one or used?
    Cheers

It’s used and coming with a CAT. I need the cat but not the sensor, so I’ll let you know how things go. Will be very cheap anyway

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

And so it begins!!

Had a little delivery today, new rear discs and pads, oil filter and spark plugs, a new powerflex gear box mount, and a towing eye.

Car has had new cambelt, aux belt, water pump, dephaser pulley, tensioners etc and the small oil leak on the selector shaft of the gearbox has been sorted.

This weekend, I’ll give it a full service, sort the knackered gearbox mount and then the real fun starts!

numbnut
    Free Member

I don’t understand? Sorry if I’m being dim..!

Not you posting on Briskoda then?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I see your brakes and raise you:

I wish I could entirely blame this thread but the Volvo tuning bug had me long ago 😛 😛 😛

CountZero

cbmotorsport – Member
    I once spun my car into the corn field in the middle of the circuit at Combe. I completely disappeared got it going again, found reverse, reversed out and carried on. Must of been hilarious as a spectator.

Ha! Saw that happen several times, back when I used to go helping out on a breakdown truck, one poor driver got completely lost in the corn, had to get out of the car to try to find out which way the track was; bloody funny when this crash helmet suddenly popped up in the corn! He’d actually gone quite a way in, so hadn’t the foggiest idea which way to go.
    Used to really enjoy it when the driver went off in a huff and left the car, so I got to sit in and ‘drive’ it back to the pits behind the truck. Great fun when you’re still at school.

happyrider
    Free Member

Brilliant! The beginning, let the build begin! 🙂

Nice floaters! O-h-h

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Not you posting on Briskoda then?

lol. yes thats me. sorry. didn’t put 2 and 2 together. about to cancel. 🙁

how come you cancelled?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

see your brakes and raise you:

you need these for the extra weight!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Track Car Project’ is closed to new replies.