Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Tracey Emin on Newsnight
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Art is subjective.

A lighter, stronger and faster bike is not.

It depends upon it’s purpose. There are plenty of people out there who ride a bike that may not be the most suitable for it’s purpose but was chosen on merit of it’s aesthetics.

JAG

meehaja has it…

I don’t like the unmade bed piece but some stuff is art simply because some people think it is. That makes others think about the piece and makes Tracey Emmin some money – which makes her happy. QED.

I like the big ginger cats too 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

All you need to know about Art:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03969vt

kayak23

PJM1974
    A lot of the comments on here are personal in nature, I rather expected a more mature debate than this.

Um….You do know where you are right?
    😀

willard

We should, at this point, bring the work of Grayson perry into the thread.

Whilst I agree that he is a fair potter, his Turner prize winning contributions were not to my personal tastes, but were deemed to be art by people that probably know more about this type of thing than me. As such, I’m happy to treat Tracey Emin’s bed as “art” even though it is not to my personal taste.

Art is what people make of it and what people are prepared to pay for. If you are able to produce something that communicates what you saw when you held up a mirror to reality, then fair play to you.

Also, Grayson Perry is one of us, so he must be right. Unless it’s Hora, in which case he’s wrong.

footflaps

I thought Charles Saatchi made TE famous by buying her tosh (sorry art).

Bit like Ron Hubbard and Scientology, a joke on society which got out of control….

PJM1974
    Free Member

I thought Charles Saatchi made TE famous by buying her tosh (sorry art).

Bit like Ron Hubbard and Scientology, a joke on society which got out of control….

In context, Emin’s bed is a direct descendant to Dutch Interior paintings, all she’s doing is producing an installation rather than attempting to say something new with paint. Also, we now live in a world of reality TV and fake reality (see Las Vegas) Baudrillard talked about “Simulacra” – this is what Emin was doing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Also, Grayson Perry is one of us

😯 WHO? WHO?

Stoner
    Free Member

Personally I like the woman that recreates famous art works, but featuring a huge ginger cat

Bindun before. Pretty much the only thing I remember from my Art History classes.

she’s got a warm bum.

thejesmonddingo

I like to think we’ve all got something in common with Grayson,most of us ride bikes,some of us dress up in women’s clothes,only Grayson and hora do both AFAIK

johnnystorm

Grayson Perry, Beastway racer and trophy maker done good. 😉

thejesmonddingo

hora pictured at the weekend 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Tracey Emin on Newsnight’ is closed to new replies.