Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • tplink powerline – Anyone got these things to actually link?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Plugged on into the router, the other into the garage, hit the pair button on the first, hit the pair button on the second and we have a connection!

2 days later nothing and I am fed up of running up and down to the garage to keep hitting the pair buttons.

Are they reliable or do they all keep dropping the connection?

Anything easy I can do to make them work more reliably?

Stoner
    Free Member

I found with certain brands (poss even tplink?) that they just fall over a lot, requiring a magic off/on again on the master.

Got fed up. Now I have BT. Only ones I recommend now. Rarely go down at all. Maybe only once in 6months so far and I think I sorted that by relocating the master socket.
    I have a cupboard with about 4 or 5 non-BT ones in that Ive been meaning to get rid of.

Before you throw them away, have a go experimenting as per my thread here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/powerline-network-an-experiment-and-psa

scotroutes

Can’t help other than to say that mine work just fine.

scaredypants

mine are solwise – half a dozen working fine

haven’t bothered pairing as there’s nobody else on this side of our meter (which I’m told is “impassable”)

jimw
    Free Member

We have the 500Mbps versions-they have worked flawlessly for 2 years. I just followed the instructions to set up on the Mac

I am not tech savvy enough to guess why yours may not, sorry can’t help

Edit: i did mine through a downloaded on line utility if that makes a difference?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

TPLink solid here.
    Plugged them in to adjact double sockets for setup and pairing, then moved to final location and been there ages now. Great.
    The other temporary one gets moved and used as required. Also solid.

Depends a lot on wiring and router I imagine.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – back on line having totally re-organised the power wiring in the home office.

I thought it might be because it was plugged into a 4 socket gang plug rather than a wall socket.

There is only one socket in the room which is mounted high enough off the ground to get the TP Link socket in which is behind a fitted set of shelves.

The cables from TP Link socket to router to internet to connection into the house are just long enough to reach.

I will now try pairing again.

Stoner
    Free Member

just been to check in the cupboard – the brand of mine I fell out of love with is “Newlink”. They may just be shit. Mum & Dad have a solwise that seems to be OK.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

just read the link shared above and realise I now have the tplink in a wall mounted twin socket that it shares with an 9 way gang plug extender…

…back under the desk and fighting with the shelving unit to connect the 8 way gang to another socket somewhere in the room. I don’t have the luxury of running it to another room unfortunately.

jb72
    Free Member

I find you get better results having them in a wall socket – not an extension lead – certainly not a surge protected one.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Just swapped my TPLinks for Netgear as the TPLinks were always in need of restarting sometimes more than twice a week!

konabunny
    Free Member

My tplinks fell over a lot

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Tplink here. Works flawlessy. Dont use them in gangways if poss and definetely not surge protectors.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Does distance matter?

The router is in my office/spare room. The other TP Link bit is in the detached garage but fed through the same fuse box.

Will having multiple units help at all by acting as boosters?

Stoner
    Free Member

distance is a factor, but shouldnt be out of range until you are 100s of metres away.

Multiple units wont change quality as I dont think they relay to each other – you have a single master and the rest are slaves.

WCA – would you like to have a go with my pair of these?:

http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?catID=2&prodID=319

to see if it’s hardware or wiring at fault?

Theyre only 200Mbps, but if they prove stable then it should help your decision making/problem identification.

I can ping them in the post to you today.

branwell
    Free Member

Check they are both on the same circuit otherwise they are never going to connect!

jam-bo

^^^

pretty sure they have to be in the same circuit, not just on the same fuse box…

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My router is in my cellar and one powerline unit on the ring main down there, fed of it’s own breaker.

I have another in the garage, which is on a spur from the house consumer unit, over 100 feet of underground cable, into another consumer unit and onto the socket ring main in there.

My WiFi powerline happily sits solidly connected on the second ring main on this spur.

sbob
    Free Member

Found a pair of cheap Netgear extenders in the office, plugged them in, they worked straight away.
    No pairing, no resets, both plugged into extension leads.

VanHalen

just set up a TP link pairing the other day and after initial faffage (hey who actually READs instructions…) all has been rather dandy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Check they are both on the same circuit otherwise they are never going to connect!

This. We have two consumer units in the house and it’s not possible to get data to travel from one CU to another. To make things more complicated the firewall and router are in my office which has it’s own CU and is on a separate circuit from the rest of the house.

Our best solution was to run Cat6 cable from the two apple Airport Extremes, that do the wifi in the house, around the outside of the house and straight into the [hardware] firewall in my office.
    Our building layout is ‘not normal’ though!

donald
    Free Member

They do have to be on the same Consumer Unit.
    They don’t have to be on the same ring main.

My tplink powerline adapters are reliable for weeks at a time and then are unreliable for days at a time and need frequent resetting. I can’t work out what causes them to stop working.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

They have connected successfully previously so they are on the same “insert technical name for a bit of wire here”

I am going to give it another go today and then may consider different kit.

Stoner – I will ping you an email with my address if today doesn’t work. Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

they dont have to be on the same consumer unit
    they dont have to be on the same spur or ring

the DO have to be on the same phase.

it’s why they have encryption pairing buttons. If a neighbour were on the same phase as you, and they were physically close enough, they could theoretically connect to your network.

JulianA
    Free Member

We have a couple of TPLink devices. No problems – just plugged them in and switched them on.

What is bugging me about them is that when I copy a file to the NAS drive from my laptop the initial transfer speed goes up as high as 60 MB/s then settles down at about 4MB/s – 6MB/s.

I know that the copy is being done over the wired network as a) the speed goes so high to start with and b) the wireless is not connected but I can’t figure out why the transfer speed drops to about the same speed as the wireless managed.

Any ideas? Suggestions appreciated!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘tplink powerline – Anyone got these things to actually link?’ is closed to new replies.