Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Toys that you never had when you were a kid but want now
  • Harry_the_Spider

I didn’t get on of these. 🙁

Going to look on ebay.

footflaps

Meccano, was just vanishing as I was the right age, only had one set..

donsimon
    Free Member

Olivia Newton John. 😥

project
    Free Member

Captain Scarlet, but now the proud owner of 2 talking Captain Scarlets,but unlike the ex wife you can switch them off, and put them in a drawer.

stumpy01

Tamiya Boomerang/Hotshot or Avante…..always wanted one, but could never afford one. Tempted to buy a re-issued one, but know that I will use it for an hour and it will go in a cupboard.

and a plane to go with it….something like a ParkZone Spitfire or Mustang would be nice:

higthepig
    Free Member

A train set, not sure why, but still fancy one and being the Fat Controller

GlitterGary
    Free Member

1996 Kona Cindercone.

I had that Eagle Transporter, Harry. Might still have it knocking around in the parent’s loft.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Stumpy01 – you’re not my mate Steve are you? Going into his garage is like stepping into an Aladdin’s cave – RC cars (old and new), planes, gliders, helis just because he can afford them now. He’s currently building his son a scale electric Land Rover….

fadass
    Free Member

I had an Eagle – the feet were sprung so they retracted slightly on landing…there was also a switch on top that released the central body section. Engines fell off though – i had to stick em back on with plasticine……..

My mate had a Mamod Traction Engine – i thought it was the coolest thing EVER at the time…..still want one now!!!

yunki
    Free Member

derek_starship
    Free Member

I wanted to be jumping over five prostrate schoolboys on one of these*. I didn’t get one though. My dad was a builder and was forever getting rained/frosted/hailed/snowed off site during winter so money was tight around xmas.

*I no longer want to do this but I’d love the bike.

yunki
    Free Member

I was going to post a pic of a redline too derek-starship..! I think I’d go for a 24″ or even 26″ inch version if I could justify one now though..

clubber
    Free Member

I had the Boomerang and Spitfire (though I was about 16 IIRC when I got them)

I always wanted Scalextric – funnily enough my son got his first one last year (age 2…)

flyingmonkeycorps

I keep looking at RC cars and getting pangs… Especially silly nitro ones that I could tinker with. I know it’d never get used though. Sigh.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m waiting till my son’s a bit older. Then I’ll probably get him an RC car and dig out my old Cougar 2000 from my parents’ attic…

scruff
    Free Member

I’ll see your Redline and raise you a brace of Candy Apple red Hutch’s.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll see your Redline and raise you a brace of Candy Apple red Hutch’s.

verses

I seem to be stalking myself via Google. I was going to say that there were 2 big Lego Technics cars I always wished I had. Google Images returned this STW thread where I’ve already mentioned them!

To add to the spookiness… In that post I mentioned the smaller Lego Techincs car, I just retrieved it from my folks loft this weekend!

rossi46
    Free Member

Stumpy, the Boomerang was the stuff of dreams but i had more expensive tastes:

Looking on Ebay, these still make stupid money!

Oh and bike wise, i always wanted one of these:

Cant beat those old Diamond Backs- especially when your mate had one and was the number one cool kid in the neighbourhood!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Any excuse… 😉

http://www.rcracing.tv

4wd buggy worlds finals this year – if you’ve not seen electric buggy’s in the brushless age then have a look….

Harry_the_Spider

Off at a slight tangent…

My first Technical Lego set was this back in 1976. My mum and dad must have had to sell a kidney to pay for it.

30 years later I was sat on a plane to Seoul (to visit a paper mill do discuss a machine rebuild) next to the Educational Director of Lego. We got talking and I blamed the 850 Forklift set for the way my education and career had panned out. He said that had happened to so many people!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

…and I blamed the 850 Forklift set for the way my education and career had panned out.

It was the Technics car for me with the (IIRC) V4 engine….. all went wrong from there…. 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

if you’ve not seen electric buggy’s in the brushless age then have a look…

Impressive, very impressive……

OOh, while im on Star Wars (off on another tangent)

Harry_the_Spider

WOW! A Death Star

My mate Gary Cox had one of them. It cost a bomb for what was basically some printed carboard and a few plastic clips.

My mates Paul and Mark had one of these.

That also cost a wedge and was rubbish. One of the cars was slightly faster that the other. Paul, the bigger brother, always got the quick car and always won. No wonder Mark grew up to be a gibbering fool.

pegglet
    Free Member

always wanted hornby trainsets or scaletrix,but after sticking me mams knitting needle in a 60’s plug socket,then flying acrossthe room to crack my head open on edge of the piano she decided i wasnt ready yet for anything electric! .mind you i was spoilt(only now age 53 do you realise it) name any toy from 60/70,s i seemed to have it,jonny sevens, corgi chipperfield circus set (boxed set fetched £1000+ on t’bay recently,weep) every other corgi car in their catalogue so it seemed. umpteen ‘MERIT’ dressing up clothes, loads of guns rifles lugers that transparent barreled pop gun that fired a load of pingpong balls, wow ,life couldnt get better. Then i grew up.f*ck…….

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Air rifle

I did have a mamod traction engine – bought another a couple of years ago & fire it up every so often just for my kids to enjoy 🙂

jamiep
    Free Member

I have just bought this raleigh mag burner to do up

VanHalen

versus – i had a red version of that car. dont suppose you have the destructions? i probably have all the bits in my daughters bag of inherited bits.

that and a squillion space lego parts and a sodding great pneumatic crane.

the poblem i found with RC cars is they are awesome fun but only as long as the battery lasts. then you have to wait. and wait. i had a fast charger but still the waiting killed me. still does now. i love using it for hte 20 mins the battery lasts.

i never had meccano but i think i would love it. that said my job as an engineer is just like lego/meccano for grownups.

verses

@Van Halen, this one or an identical version of mine but in red?
    http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/8842.html

I have the instructions for mine, but they’re still at my folks, they’ll be bringing them down with a load of old toys next time they visit.

Cougar

dig out my old Cougar 2000 from my parents’ attic…

😯 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is still in my loft somewhere….

derek_starship
    Free Member

Air rifle

NOT a toy. Kids have been killed / seriously injured by “playing” with airguns.

There needs to be more education (not legislation) on this subject.

Cougar

My first Technical Lego set was this

That was my second, IIRC. My first was the tractor in the same series.

I still have the original Technic car chassis, boxed, upstairs.

… along with its more well known successor, the ubiquitous 8860, as per CF’s post.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Never had Scalextric. Bought a set couple of years ago, and a mate kindly gave me a load of extra track.

Sits in a box behind the sofa. Had it out about 3 times, for just a few hours. Probbly end up selling it when the winter fuel bills kick in. 🙁

stumpy01

bristolbiker – Member
    Stumpy01 – you’re not my mate Steve are you? Going into his garage is like stepping into an Aladdin’s cave – RC cars (old and new), planes, gliders, helis just because he can afford them now. He’s currently building his son a scale electric Land Rover…

Nope…I always wanted, but never got & now my sensible head says that £200 spent on a rc car could be better spent on towards our decorating budget for the new house.

rossi46 – Member
    Stumpy, the Boomerang was the stuff of dreams but i had more expensive tastes:

I always liked the look of the Avante & Egress, but I think for the money they were considered pretty mediocre compared to the competition. If I’d have been spending that sort of money, it would have been on something like a Kyosho Optima Mid. A mate had one and it was fantastic.

It doesn’t help that a ModelZone shop has opened in Peterborough, taunting me with window displays of cars, planes & helicopters!!

HolmwoodDave
    Free Member

HtS – I have a very beaten up Eagle transporter somewhere… or my nephew has it and uses it as a weapon against his sister!!! I seem to remember it was bought from a jumble sale in the late 70’s or early 80’s for about 10p!

clubber
    Free Member

Schumacher Cougar 2000 for Cougar 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Still want a cool colours Barbie..

Cougar

Never had Scalextric. Bought a set couple of years ago, and a mate kindly gave me a load of extra track.

Sits in a box behind the sofa. Had it out about 3 times, for just a few hours.

I had very similar experiences. Always always wanted one, mate had a Race & Chase when I was a kid and it was rad to the power of sick.

As “adults,” another mate bought a Scalextric a couple of years ago. It was a banked figure of 8 track which could be raced by holding the throttle all the way in. We went “mm, this is good” and put it back in the box never to be seen again.

I’ve idly wondered since whether the Micro Scalextric might be a better proposition. The full-sized system just seemed far too big.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I always liked the look of the Avante & Egress, but I think for the money they were considered pretty mediocre compared to the competition. If I’d have been spending that sort of money, it would have been on something like a Kyosho Optima Mid.

<Wistful> Yep, Avante and Egress were overcomplicated and expensive. I have a couple of Optima Mid Custom Specials, a Pro Cat and an RC10 from my racing days packed away in the loft. They come out to play every now and again, but compared to brushless they really are pedestrian </Wistful>

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Toys that you never had when you were a kid but want now’ is closed to new replies.