Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Toys that are gears, motors and whatnot
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Like technical Lego but bigger and chunkier. There are gear type toys but they don’t seem to do enough. Motors would be nice also.

Any suggestions?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

8th scale rc

stu_d
    Free Member
    stumpy_m4
    Free Member

ghostlymachine – Member
    8th scale rc

As above … but be prepared to have no money … these things can get expensive to run !

mogrim

Just built a 1:10 Tamiya, it’s got all that. Almost certainly cheaper to run than 1:8 nitro!

mattyfez

Rc car, single cylinder nitro methane powered!

They come in kit form so you can build them up to spec! Or fully built

By brother got one some Christmas years ago.. Lots of fun!

Random link

But also lots of time repairing them as they are RAPID! And hence crash a lot. But brilliant fun.. You do need tt be a bit mechanically minded though!

A battery powered rc is cheaper, but they suck because the batteries don’t last long at all, so they get frustrating.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Battery powered 8th run for around 25-30 minutes. Depending on how good you are and how you set it up.
    I only drive 10th TC myself, but lots of 8th on the offroad track. Most guys have 2 sets of batteries (or 3) so 10 minutes to swap batteries and cool down. And an hour to charge. They are far far tougher than you think. I don’t see many people stopping due to breakages unless the impact is hard enough to hear across the entire facility!

The electric are faster than nitro now, think that change is in the last couple of years, I know 10th electric is probably the second quickest proper class on road, only 8th nitro (no 8th electric class here) is quicker. Top speeds of 60+mph on the track are not unusual.

T1000
    Free Member

Fischertechnik ?

andyl
    Free Member

get a 3D printer and print gears and motor mounts etc and make stuff. Robots etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry for not being clear.

I meant bigger and chunkier for little kid fingers. They are 4 and 6, I want something like lego that is not fully of tiny bits that will get lost, that they could use to experiment with mechanics.

RC cars aren’t really like lego 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Fischertechnik

Not a bad idea, but the gears seem to come with the advanced sets.. hmm..

andyl
    Free Member
    Moses

2nd hand Meccano ?
    (I have some 1950s stuff to dispose of)

T1000
    Free Member

Lego do educational gear motor sets which are compatible with the regular Lego / Lego technic sets

Fischertechnik do a similar range of educational focuses products( not on their main site) with gears/motors etc (small, medium and complex machine sets..)

Cougar

Meccano Junior?

http://www.meccano.com/products?products=.cat_mec_jr

Recommended age 5+. should be ideal I’d have thought.

toppers3933
    Free Member

We had some of that jnr meccano for toppers jnr last christmas and it was total junk. It went in the bin mid february.

aracer
    Free Member

I thought of suggesting that, but then we have some (which I don’t think is total junk) and it doesn’t really have gears and stuff, it’s more simple than that. TBH the best thing is mentioned in the OP – it might be a bit small, but the only obvious alternative with similar functionality is proper meccano which is just s small.

Which does remind me that I had meccano which I’ve never retrieved from mum’s house.

toppers3933
    Free Member

might have just been the kit we had. kept falling apart no matter what you built or how you built it.

Nipper99
    Free Member

My BIL’s toys would fit the bill!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlnBsbrZN9w[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Toys that are gears, motors and whatnot’ is closed to new replies.