Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Toyota IQ anyone?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Other half is keen on one of these as she needs a new motor. From my reading they seem quite reliable and by all accounts a refined drive for such a small car.

Any personal experiences would be appreciated

Cheers

samunkim
    Free Member

No and don’t get an Aygo either – Eastern Europe built leaky tin shit can

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t lump an iQ in with an Aygo.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

I like the look of both the iq and the aygo. IQ better than smart car aesthetically to me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You could pay £35k and get the Aston Martin version 😯

I think they are a bit flimsy, they make sense in big cities but I struggle to see the logic outside. FWIW in Paris Smart outsells everything else by miles.

slowoldman

It seems to be a well packaged piece of kit. I know someone who has had a couple and been impressed. I was tempted by one myself as a little runabout but what I really want is a two seater with reasonable covered luggage space. When you fold down the back seats of a hatchback all your precious stuff is on show.

the-muffin-man

The IQ has always seemed to be very little car for a lot of money. If you don’t need such a tiny car there are lots of nice small cars out there.

scandal42
    Free Member

The IQ has always seemed to be very little car for a lot of money. If you don’t need such a tiny car there are lots of nice small cars out there.

Having looked at the spec on a IQ2 at used prices I’m not sure I agree.

Auto headlights
    Auto rain sensing wipers
    Climate control
    Traction control
    ESP
    zero tax rate
    Keyless entry
    Keyless start

Toyota reliability on cars designed by themselves seems very good also.

doubleu
    Free Member

Other half had one for three years. We actually really liked it. Only had the IQ 1, so basic everything but it did have air-con.

Only issue in 40,000 miles was a leaky door seal which was done under warrenty.

Ours had the 1l engine. Its not quick. Takes a while to get up to speed on the motorway and feel’s very light on there, but it wasnt designed for long distance driving. Its absolutly perfect for around town. Obviously economical.

There is no boot. There is a gap which will hold wine bottles nicely, thats about it. Lowering the rear seats gives you something usable. Forget about having anyone in the back unless you put the passenger seat forward.

Interior is nice. Much better than the Aygo. Infact when we were looking to replace it, we really struggled to find another small car with the same quality interior. Its a nice place to be, and this is why alongside its reliability they are more expensive than its counterparts.

You can get a bike rack for it! 😆 The Saris Bones 1 fits the rear nicely.

If you test drive one, go in a carpark and put full lock on the steering. It literally spins round on the spot. Quite amusing!

Sadly they dont make them new anymore. Looking back we’d probably go for the 1.3l version though and take the slight hit on actually having to pay £30 road tax instead of nothing. The extra power is probably worth it. Stay away from the auto box.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Get the Aston Martin Cygnet instead

Surely an appreciating classic 😆

rhid

My mum had one for a year or so. She couldn’t get on with it as it was (according to her) too small…I think she kind of missed the point of it! My parents live in the countryside outside of Aberystwyth and she said it was fine for driving round there (apart from the size!). she swapped it for an Aygo. I drove it a few times and it was good, well made, plenty of room in the car for 3 people, lots of nice features.

My mums new dream car is a 4×4 panda…..

matt_outandabout

I am sure someone did an appropriate review of an IQ once….

Dibbs
    Free Member

I looked at the IQ a few years ago, but in the end went for a Smart Fortwo diesel mainly for the better MPG. I’m sure the IQ’s a better car but the Smart does what I want and has averaged 68mpg over the last 40000 miles.
    It’s pretty hilly round here before the smart arses pipe up with “my 3 litre Audi does more than that”

jjojjas
    Free Member

I work with a girl who’s onto her second one now. She loves them, I think its ok, not for me (6’2″…its a bit tight). She does decent miles in it too… no issues I’m aware of (and I’d hear none stop if there were any issues…)

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Auto headlights
    Auto rain sensing wipers
    Climate control
    Traction control
    ESP
    zero tax rate
    Keyless entry
    Keyless start

Bear in mind how much of that you actually need. Then consider if any of it goes wrong it will likely cost a small fortune. Toyota reliability is unfortunately offset by the price of parts.
    Presumably you would be driving in the city where parking is an issue? If not then something a little bigger is probably more sensensible

scandal42
    Free Member

Ended up getting one, fantastic little thing that actually puts a smile on your face when driving 😀

3 adults is no issue at all and i’m quite impressed at the comfort of it. It’s very refined with unexpectedly low levels of engine and road noise, even on main roads.

Oh and the Mrs likes it, which is a bonus seeing as it’s hers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Toyota IQ anyone?’ is closed to new replies.