Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Toyota Hi-Ace – Adding extra seats (van alteration help)
  • hora
    Free Member

Right. Test drove a Hi-Ace today. Took me a few minutes to adapt to the sit up and beg style but actually like it.

Question- is it easy for someone to add seats in (a second row for passengers) along with seatbelts and if so what are the usual costs involved?

Im guessing that you'll have to inform the insurance company of the increased passenger capacity- can this cause problems? Would it be better fitting different seating without 'officially modifying' your vehicle?

jam-bo

if they arent factory fitted or done properly and signed off then it'll cause you a lot of grief trying to insure it.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have done it to many many vehicles. As long as its done by a proper company using M2 tested seats there isnt any problems. These days the seats have the belts installed into them so there is no room for error and the mountings have to be done a certain way by the installer (Imagine the force on the mounts in a crash – you dont just bolt them in).

I have a couple of compnies i use locally and it usually works out about £300 per seat plus a little for fitting. A double works out about £750 + VAT and a treble about £1050 + VAT. That includes QR mounts as it makes them a lot more versatile. Thats using Cogent seating in whatever matching fabric. They are a long established manufacturer. Any cheaper than that and i would be questioning what certificates the seats have and who would be liable in a crash.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

A plan insurance will cover it with no issues. Actually i havent had a customer say they have had any issues. I suppose thats because they have been done from the dealership.

lister

3 T5 seats into my T4 cost £1000 a few years ago…proper job though and the seats were new and unused.
    insurance was easy to sort.

hora
    Free Member

Ta, will factor into purchase price. In theory I only have to put one seat in.

Whats the regs etc on baby seats?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

tick

lister

no special regs on baby seats as far as i know. our t5 seats have isofix mounts which are ace. and they pass the mot every year so it's all ok as far as i know.

you'll be wanting windows as well Hora, we got our seats before our side windows and travelling in the back was very weird without windows.

hora
    Free Member

you'll be wanting windows as well Hora, we got our seats before our side windows and travelling in the back was very weird without windows.

Thought of that. The rear seat(s) would only be occasional use (dog) and visitor(s). So would position them more central behind the rear seats.

TBH- the dog would probably use that seat 95% of the time.

steveh

If they're for occasional use then make sure you get QR ones and have somewhere to store them or they make bike loading in numbers a faff. With 3 headrets/front seats it's very hard to line up seats in the back with visibility and location of chassis members etc mean that you don't get complete choice of location.

I know a company in Castleford that do them about £600 for a twin fitted but not QR and not matched fabric. They do a good job though.

hora
    Free Member

steveh, details please (for me to save). TheLittlestHobo- plus the ones that you use?

steveh

I found them through the name van side windows (original huh!) but they do seat conversions etc too. They did my mates Vivaro for him and it looks nice.

Google that and something should come up. If you can't find it when you need it drop me a mail and I'll get my friend to dig it out for you.

hora
    Free Member

These guys Im guessing:

http://www.vanwindows.co.uk/

steveh

Yup that's them.

hora
    Free Member

Thank you. Right. Will contact them for an initial/short quote.

Wouldnt it be great to fix a Dentists chair in the rear? 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Toyota Hi-Ace – Adding extra seats (van alteration help)’ is closed to new replies.