Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Toyota Celica – last model as a mid life crisis motor?
  • geoffj

The dreaming goes on.
    Anyone got one of the last celicas as a fun car?
    I know it’s not exactly quick, but Toyota reliability, 2+2 seats, seats and cheap prices, make them look quite attractive.
    I’ll have a look on Toyota forums, but any experiences / advice would be welcome.

And didn’t coffeeking used to be into them?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

MX5 is much better to drive (Mk 1 or 2)

Porsche Boxter would be the best mid life crisis car though.

legend
    Free Member

“Reliability” and “2+2”? You sure you’re having a mid-life crisis?

geoffj

“Reliability” and “2+2”? You sure you’re having a mid-life crisis?

I think I’m over the worst of it. 8)

I’d look stoopid in an MX5
    Boxster would be nice, but probably too expensive to run

Markie
    Free Member

wrong model, but still…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Boxter only needs servicing every 18k !

geoffj

Boxter only needs servicing every 18k !

*puts fingers in ears la la la I can’t hear you!
    Clicks on saved boxster search bookmark on autotrader

dannybgoode

This is the shape you want and it must be a GT$

Or even better you want one of these:

matt_outandabout

Hankered after one of these since a teen:

But

DezB
    Free Member

My mum has one, I see it as a Pensioner Crisis car.. she’s 74. 🙂

waller
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 14 odd years now and have recently rebuilt it. Pop up headlight one (the best one).

Love it 🙂 cheap and easy to fix and in my opinion still looks good and comfy to drive.

If your going to go GT4 route watch out for blown head gaskets. Best bet is to head into the uk forum. Friendly bunch and will help you with any questions you might have 🙂

Daffy

I used to own the 190bhp t-sport model. Really nice car, a little harsh at times, but nice enough. Fun when you pressed on, but frugal when trundling. Has some front end lift when going over 120mph, which can be a little disconcerting when you’re not expecting it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Shrew’s dad found a one owner, 70000 mile, full service historied Boxter that had been garaged from new in a smart part of Edinburgh. The paint was flat and needed a polish and the interior a quick valet.

It was super tight and handled really well.

Price was somewhere around £5000. There are bargains out there. 😀

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

[/URL]

Ok , here’s another pic of mine , best shape imo . 😀

Op is talking about gen 7 celica , actually a really nice car to drive . Go for the 190 bhp , lesser models are a bit under powered . Be carfull if buying an early one , up too about 2003 i think , the piston design caused the rings to gum up or wear causing excesive oil consumption . Not really an issue untill you forget to check the oil one day and it all goes horibly wrong .

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve had a gen 7 T Sport for a couple years. Nice to drive and fast enough but I wouldnt say it was really fun. Quite a practical car for bikes actually! They go in the boot with the seats down and one wheel off very easily.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

damitamit Big seagulls round your way ?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Converting it to UST?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve got a gen7 T-sport too. Mildly modified to just over 200bhp. Not terribly quick but I didn’t buy it for that. I love it, I’ve had mx5’s and MR2s but this suits my current needs better. If you buy wisely you can get a real bargain, the facelift models are the ones to go for . Most other drivers seem to be early 20s with baseball caps or quite old.

geoffj

Cheers guys – I will resist the Boxster!

I’ll keep an eye out for one. Ideally the T Sport with full leather would be nice – will need to get it on a classic policy so needs to be 10 years plus.

Fingers crossed

Then again, Audi TTs look nice too……

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I think all t-sports have full leather and premium packs as standard. My friend has the 140bhp version, its a Toyota engine unlike the 190 and feels sluggish without lift.

I’m looking out to replace mine with a GT model 🙂

khani
    Free Member

That pic needs the badger photoshopping on it.

andyl46
    Free Member

I had a 140 brake version, underpowered, firm ride, +2 is a bit of a joke. Surprisingly practical, fairly frugal, great handling, reliable as clockwork, great stereo! I’d have loved a 190, and I’d take another one tomorrow.

chewkw
    Free Member

Even my boy racer mates’ Toyota Corolla managed to boost up to a minimum of 150bhp in the far east in the 80s. Now over 200bhp is common with boy racers over there. As far as I know none of the boy racers could afford a Porsche 911 Targa (somehow they lover Targa) in those days so Toyota Corolla would do … then in late 80s Turbo appeared and everyone became turbo freaks … I remember seeing the first ABS braking system there too.

Over there Celica is too expensive to mess with so nobody buy new Celica to modify but most would have Celica Engine under the bonnet of Corolla … 😆 All Celica engines come direct from Japan … :mrgreen:

Toyota AE86 is also a popular choice over there. Rear wheel drive btw.

honkiebikedude’s Celica wins hands down …

chocolatehobdobs
    Free Member

i used to have a gen 6 one in my younger days. It wasn’t the fastest, but it was the best all-round car i’ve owned, reasonably frugal, reliable, fun enough, could fit a complete bike in with seats down. With the wheels off, a bike would even in the boot with the seats in place (out of sight).

jambalaya
    Free Member

The V6 TT’s cost more new than equivalent Porsche Cayman, they don’t hold their value so well either. Porsche service interval is 2yrs.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Toyota Celica – last model as a mid life crisis motor?’ is closed to new replies.