Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Toyota Aygo or VW Golf – yes, it's another car rental question :-)
  • psychle
    Free Member

OK, so found a good deal on a weeks car hire (thanks Vinnyeh!), now just one more decision to make – Aygo or Golf? The Toyota works out to be £130 and the Golf is £158…

According to the website, they both get around 60mpg or so (both petrol I think?), so fuel economy is about the same… We'll be driving around in it for 6 days or so, covering a fair few miles I'd guess (heading up to Scotland from London), so thinking the Golf might be a nicer place to be for any length of time?

Waddaya reckon STW?

stumpy01

It is a Golf Blue Motion? If not, then forget 60mpg. Even if it is, you'll have to drive like a saint. Unless it is actually a diesel.

The Aygo is a bit small to be doing lots of miles in I'd have thought. Although I've never driven one, a Ford Ka would be about as small as I could tolerate for motorway stints.

I'd go with the Golf, myself.
    Does the hire have a mileage clause? Might be worth looking into if you are doing lots of miles…..

psychle
    Free Member

Don't think it's a Blue Motion, not listed as such on the car hire website… strangely enough they have the Tdi Golf down as 56.4mpg??

I think the Golf would be better appointed than the Aygo, might even have cruise control which would be nice 🙂 Or, maybe a Fiesta, a little bit bigger than the Aygo, only £9 more…

Decisions decisions 🙄

hora
    Free Member

£28 difference? Golf. If it was £100 difference- Aygo.

simon1975

We've got two Aygos at work. Hilarious to drive as will do 35mph in 1st gear and over 60mph in 2nd.

Skinny tyres make wet cornering "interesting"… The boot is non-existant and the interior and radio are nasty. And people keep running out of fuel because the guage is a tiny LCD like an old mobile phone battery meter.

Drac

Golf, if it's a Mk VI 2.0 TDi you'll get 60mpg without trying.

psychle
    Free Member

Golf it is then, STW agrees with my thoughts as well 🙂 though not sure if it'll be a Tdi… according to the website the Tdi is £176 vs £158 for a petrol (though it lists the mpg for the petrol as 62.7 and 56.4 for the Tdi??). Worth spending the extra £18 for the diesel I'd think?

hora
    Free Member

Golf, if it's a Mk VI 2.0 TDi you'll get 60mpg without trying.

At 115mph the mpg really does go down into the low-figures 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Hands down the Golf. Aygos are tiny city car things, very small and spartan inside. Golfs are lovely plush real comfy cars.

z1ppy

depends on which model the golf is? I've found anything (including) the FS series are gut-less, as the damned things are so heavy nowadays.

What prices are the Astra's? The old models (1.8's) can be very quick & economical, the new one is crap (heavy) and slow (that was an SRi)

molgrips
    Free Member

Pff, z1ppy, since when do you get a wide choice of specific car at car hire places?

We're not all wannabe racing drivers, the OP had a choice of TWO. I doubt he's after the ultimate driving handling speedy raar raar experience.

psychle
    Free Member

Well, the ultimate driving experience would be nice, but ain't going to happen with either choice 😆 I've gone with a Tdi Golf, figure it'll save us a little on fuel over the course of a weeks driving?

Drac

Good choice and certainly not gutless in the slightest.

z1ppy

Molegrips it sounded like he had a choice, but I get mine through company hire scheme so can only choice a class, no idea what it's like at the station. I was only trying to point out that if he had a choice then decide on the engine not just the car model. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest, I like hire cars in general cos it's something different and they're usually really new 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I like hirecars as you can utterly treat them like shit

psychle
    Free Member

indeed 😉 , drive it like you stole it 8)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Toyota Aygo or VW Golf – yes, it's another car rental question :-)’ is closed to new replies.