• This topic has 35 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Toyota Avensis- Could it usurp the Octavia for STW'ers?
  • hora
    Free Member

Looking for a cheap, reliable and solid/well made car?

Octavia?

No, I give you the mkII Avensis. I've just picked up a 2001 for 1.7k. Its solid, no squeaks and could possibly prove to be a great (and wise) purchase (time will tell)…

Why the Avensis? It doesnt attract lots of attention (high prices) like the VAG cars..

I put 6ft long timber/wood sheets in the other night. Fitted (FLAT) on the floor of the boot with the seats down in a hatchback 😀

Any fans? 😀

br
    Free Member

Octavia?

I thought everyone on here except me drove Audi's?

uplink
    Free Member

I have one – a 2.2 T4 tourer

no complaints

I've had a couple of different ones out of the car pool and can quite honestly say they were the most horrible cars I've driven in quite some time.

Despite repeated cries of Toyota quality (image now slightly dented anyway), I found them cheap and plasticky. The gear stick was the longest I've ever used when not driving a van, and the seats/seating position are unsupportive and make you feel like you're perched on top of your driving position, rather than sat in it.

hora
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR which ones did you have? Im talking pre-2003 overhaul not the newer shape.

This is the shape I mean:

DezB
    Free Member

Er, what happened to the Puma? The ahem "driver's car"?

Wouldn't be seen dead in a granddad-mobile like an old Avensis or a bloody Octavia! (This from a Saab driver 🙂 )

Ah, sorry – I mean the new ones, however the father-in-law had an old shaped one some years ago and whilst I never drove it, I can't say I particularly liked it.

Don't take it personally like, as 90% of folk on here detest my car with a passion.

hora
    Free Member

DezB it is a cunning plan. I've sold my sole-car the Forester… so now I can have….

TWO cars.

The Avensis solves biking, baby, travelling requirements.

Which means I am free to pursue what will become my third MX5 😀

Edit- TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR no offence taken. I was just a tad surprised as I find my particular Avensis 'ok' and not sat 'on'. 🙂

Are you a hairdresser hora?

BillMC

I've got an R reg one. It never lets me down, goes alarmingly fast (for me) and I regard it as a free car. I'd certainly have another.

hora
    Free Member

I don't have any hair so no 🙁

Good comment though, 😆

br
    Free Member

MX5.

Hiding your homosexual tendencies must be difficult with the family and all-that?

glenncampbell

I drive a 2002 1.8vvti 'bucket of sh*t' Avensis Estate and it's the most un-inspiring car in the world to drive. It is reliable though, fits loads of gear in the back and was quite cheap to buy and inexpensive to run. It's not as good as Mondeo, A4 or Passat estates and is not sexy at all but it does the job nicely.

richc
    Free Member

No he's a ****.

He's only had his license a few years, and I think he has had more cars than most people have had hot dinners. Mind each one has been 'the one' and a 'real drivers car' that is until its used up its tank of petrol and he can't find the filler cap, so part ex's it, as 'broken'

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Geeza at work has an 03 plate saloon – good solid looking car but the issues he's had are a failed gearbox at 95,000 (not sure if it's a common problem, he may have just been unlucky – cost him about a grand for an exchange unit to be fitted) and high oil consumption even from when he bought it as a low mileage 12 month old car – he tells me that is a known issue with them.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Damn, too late again. No the Toyota will not userp the Octavia or any other VAG group vehicles which are the STW weapon of choice. Toyota may be cheap and reliable but are automotive white goods, devoid of character and any driving pleasure. Hora, has yours got the slipper rack and pipe holder options or is it just the basic spec?

hora
    Free Member

No the Toyota will not userp the Octavia or any other VAG group vehicles which are the STW weapon of choice. Toyota may be cheap and reliable but are automotive white goods, devoid of character and any driving pleasure

The Avensis is most definitely function over form. However can you describe Octavia or any other Golf in the same used price bracket as reliable/attractive proposition for dirty bikes/scratching of the interior etc etc?

Hora, has yours got the slipper rack and pipe holder options or is it just the basic spec?

😆

Geeza at work has an 03 plate saloon

I'm talking pre-2003 though.

lankygit
    Free Member

Don't start me on this subject, I could rant for days on this one. I have one. I hate it. In two years I think I have washed it once. It is the kind of car you forget about instantly. I actually sometimes forget I have one. I wanted an old beemer but the missus won, as always. Third Toyota in a row and I swore I wouldn't get one after the last one as i hated that too. Could have got an A6 for the same money. Woe is me etc.

hora
    Free Member

Could have got an A6 for the same money. Woe is me etc.

I think some people are naturally 'Japanese' automotively. I actually find 90's Jap cars more attractive than Audi interiors. Wierd, I know.

Or this automotive pron. even ickle Richc must admit this is undefinably nice:

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Geeza at work has an 03 plate saloon

I'm talking pre-2003 though.

Same model as the silver one in the pic (1.8VVT Vermont) – just before they went to the square shape one.

Google Avensis Oil Consumption – some interesting stuff – some mention 1 litre/1000 miles being the norm – seems to have been an issue on those particular engines.

anokdale
    Free Member

I was given a three year old 2005 model, 2.4 Auto in a real grandad colour, (maroon) all leather, loads of gadgets and decent to drive, it had 5k on it and 18 months later i have 21k on it. Nice drive. But if it was not for the fact i was given it as the father in law pegged it and the Mum in Law was scared to drive it i would not have it. It is an old mans car and i am just waiting for time to pass a bit when i can trade it in and get something a bit more with it. I cannot believe the Father in Law paid almost 18k for it.

I would prefer an Octavia top of the range over the Avensis but i fancy another estate, poss V70 or a late model Mondeo but i guess i will have to be patience a while longer.

Anyway is two years post F in Ls death too early to get rid of it. ?

hora
    Free Member

Google Avensis Oil Consumption – some interesting stuff – some mention 1 litre/1000 miles being the norm – seems to have been an issue on those particular engines.

I read that too. That engine seems to be in a few different models though. Google Subaru headgasket, cambelts snapping on 1.6VW, Fiat, Alfa etc etc. every brand has a foible. Some have greater numbers failing than others though.

I did 29,000miles/2years in my Subaru Forester. On a general note in that time I had to replace the clutch (known problem), CV boots, (known problem), drop link/bushings, drivers electric window (known problem). Loved it but it got to the point where I was sick of diarising holiday entitlement to visit a distant Subaru dealership.

Anyway is two years post F in Ls death too early to get rid of it.

Now but return some of the proceeds to your Mother in Law (or at least offer?).

bruk

Slight hijack, have you bought the MX5 yet Hora. Might be selling my wife's one in a month or two.

51 plate in green, new hood this summer but just slipped over 100,000 miles as she loves it so much.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Avensis is motoring mogadon. Handles like a blancmange, glacial acceleration, bland styling. Something to be sold by the metre not as a car.

You really must be tired of life to enjoy owning one.

takisawa2

We've a Verso, that's nice solid car but wouldn't buy an Avensis.
    Zzzzzzz.

Gary_C

If you get an Avensis,make sure you drive around with the doors locked.
    You don't want people jumping into the back seats at the traffic lights & saying "Railway station please,guv!".

😆

hora
    Free Member

Avensis is motoring mogadon. Handles like a blancmange, glacial acceleration, bland styling. Something to be sold by the metre not as a car.

No idea on the figures and it also depends on how you shift/hold revs but it doesnt strike me as glacial! Its uninspiring handlingwise and TBH the Passat estate feels very similar.

Then again, if you wanted a drivers car you wouldnt buy a Passat, Toyota, Golf, Octy etc!

bruk, yes. Any ill effects from post-roundabout? Gary_C out local taxi firm runs predominantly Avensis's 😆

hora
    Free Member

Google Avensis Oil Consumption

700miles and its still at the same point 😀

Plus, its smooth, quiet and although it loves understeer it feels almost… 'posh' 😀

traildog
    Free Member

Should have got a Primera. It's a much nicer drive.. 😉

hora
    Free Member

I would have but I was facing a spell on public transport for a while. I'd have bought a pink Micra to avoid that (seriously!).

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Do i get a bonus point for having an Avensis Vermont and another for it being Gold?

Good motor though.

ourmaninthenorth

Which means I am free to pursue what will become my third MX5

So, you wanna buy it meester..? 😀

hora
    Free Member

Jewish racing gold?

ourman- one step at a time. hora junior is this week…

rusky
    Free Member

The old man's got a 53 plate Avensis. Had a new short engine a couple of years ago due to excess oil consumption. Also needed a new cat since the original was fubar after all that bunt oil! Ended up getting Toyota to pay most of the cost of the cat but not all.

He's also had new headlamp units as the old melted!

Seems OK apart from that!

Geronimo
    Free Member

The Avensis may be a reliable minicab, but completely bland and uninspiring.

Infinitely better than a Puma for a family man though.

hora
    Free Member

Infinitely better than a Puma for a family man though.

Aye 😀

rusky- it seems like Toyota have been on a slide with the 'Avensis'. Carina absolutely fantastic, 1.8 non-VVTI Avensis fantastic, 1.8VVTI great.. post 2003… dodgy.

Ive been in a couple of post-2003 Avensis's on the motorway (taxis) and they are bloody noisy compared.

Girlfriend still looks at me as though Ive dragged home a awful car.. 😆

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Toyota Avensis- Could it usurp the Octavia for STW'ers?’ is closed to new replies.