Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Toying with the idea of going clipless/ Talk to me about SPDs and SPD shoes.
  • bomberman
    Free Member

I have bought a road bike and know nothing about being clipped in. Sometimes i’ll use it for going down the shops (Lidl). Not sure whether to stick with flats of go clipless? I have some questions:

– Can i walk in SPD Shoes? Will i be able to around Lidl or around town comfortably?
    – Will only Shimano shoes fit Shimano SPDs?
    – These pedals certainly look different, do i need different shoes for each of these? what are these styles called?

– I have a slight deformity/misalignment on my right ankle, my foot points outwards slightly (duck footed) i.e. it’s not aligned straight with my femur. Which style of pedal will allow me to adjust for this? Looking at the top photo of those two it looks impossible but i’m happy to be told otherwise.

I don’t think i’m after super stiff riding shoes just yet, i’m trying to make the bike as versatile as possible so i can use it often, comfortably, and then if i find that i enjoy riding it i’ll look at that option further down the line. Is there an “inbetween” shoe/pedal combo out there for me which’ll allow me to walk around Lidl and not damage my dodgy ankle while riding, or shall i just stick to flats and my shimano MTB shoes?

jamiep
    Free Member

they are different
    pic one – roadie pedals, called SPD-SL
    pic two – mtb pedals, called SPD

jamiep
    Free Member

Sounds like you aren’t doing serious roadie miles, so go for SPD rather than SPD-SL. The cleat is recessed in the sole, so easier to walk in, and pedals double-sided so easier if you are clipping in/out during the ride.

NB both types of cleats can do bought with float (most do have typically) for your knees

cheap but actually pretty good SPD pedals

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

You can’t really walk in SPD-SL, the cleat rasies the front of your foot too much.

With SPD, which are designed for MTB, the cleat is recessed. However some of the shoes are very stiff and walking is uncomfortable.

I have a pair of these and find them very comfortable to work in http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/equipshoesspecials/tahoe

They do get slippy on wet, underground station stairs though!

There are a number of different clipless systems and the arguments about which is best can go on for ever!

pictonroad

SPD touring shoes from Shimano will allow you to walk around fine with SPD clipless pedals, it’s what I use on my road bike.

jairaj

Try a few different shoes out, some disco shoes can be very stiff and hard to walk in. Others look a bit more normal are softer and easier to walk in. Find one that hits the correct balance for you.

Generally speaking all clipless shoes support all clipless systems. Some shoes might have a recess that doesn’t allow full adjustability for certain systems. but I would have thought Shimano’s SPD system would be very well supported by shoe manufacturers.

If you get SPD pedals with a good platform like the second you have posted but maybe with a few pins they are OK in normal shoes if you just want to pop to the shops quickly.

bomberman
    Free Member

That’s good advice thanks! I didn’t realise some were recessed. Do shimano make a version of the m520 which is half and half? i.e.. flat pedal on one side and SPD on the other?

bomberman
    Free Member

If you get SPD pedals with a good platform like the second you have posted but maybe with a few pins they are OK in normal shoes if you just want to pop to the shops quickly.

Noted

jamiep
    Free Member

shimano m530 pedal isn’t half half but might be ok – clips and flats combined

ton

shimano xt trekking pedal is spd one side and flat the other..proper quality pedal.
    I use this mated with some dzr spd shoes..which are flat with a very recessed cleat, perfect for walking around in.

Matt24k
    Free Member

M520 with these

They clip in so that you can use the pedal with normal shoes on one side but you can then unclip them with a small screwdriver etc to give SPD both sides,

bomberman
    Free Member

Matt i don’t think those are for me, it seems a fussy way of doing things and they look ridiculous.

These look good – A530’s. Flat one side and clips other that way i can nip to the shops in trainers. Question is what kind of shoe system will i need for these? Shimano SPD? will they need to be shimano?

Shimano A530’s

questions, questions…

spawnofyorkshire

With A530’s you’ll need a shoe which will take the recessed MTB style of cleat with two bolts

Note the two long openings give lots of positioning for the metal cleat

It takes a bit of trial and error to get a good position but persevere, I was a cleat virgin but now ride everything clipped

Would recommend trying any cycling shoes on before you buy. Sizing is pretty odd in a lot of cases and whilst length might be good, width might wrong and vice versa

Also you will fall over at least once whilst unclipping, it is the law

Matt24k
    Free Member

You didn’t say they had to look good 😀
    Those A530 pedals are standard Shimano SPD not SPD-SL so you can use MTB style shoes or road shoes that take SPD cleats as mentioned above.

bomberman
    Free Member

Thanks all

Kamakazie

If take a look at Time Atac pedals with what you said about your alignment. Generally much better for people that suffer from knee problems so the extra float may suit you also.

bomberman
    Free Member

Thanks Kam

wilburt
    Free Member

Get road spdsl’s you can use them perfectly well in notmal shoes when your going down the shops etc and they are better if you want to use the bike as sports equipment.

spd’s are easier to walk in but in reality you wouldnt want to for any distance and the pedals are uncomfortable in normal shoes unless you buy the touring ones which are always the wrong way round so quite annoying.

sargey

Well after 10 years of clipless pedals I’m going to try flats tomorrow night so if you are around the stourbridge area and see a basil fawlty lookalike shouting at a bicycle it’s only me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Road cleats by their nature stick out, couple that with being made of plastic then they wear if you walk in them, least comfortable option IMHO. I’ll chuck in the crank brothers candy, great float and position. Easy engagement (forward /backwards /straight down) and a complete and comprehensive redesign from the ones people here complain about (mag review on them) a pair of stiffer shoes would help. For this pick a good bike shop and try loads on.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Toying with the idea of going clipless/ Talk to me about SPDs and SPD shoes.’ is closed to new replies.