Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • toxoplasmosis outbreak – talk to me
  • scruff9252

I have pretty much the only non cat owning house in my local neighbourhood and as such my garden is the local toilet.

I’ve tried everything to keep other people’s pet cats out bar building a booby trap trebuchet. All to no avail.

This morning on out neighbourhood Facebook group, one of the local cats is now suffering from toxoplasmosis and is undergoing treatment. The only real dealing I’ve had with toxoplasmosis is via watching trainspotting. It never ended well for Tommy.

Firstly is there anything that can be done to cleanse the garden to eliminate the toxicity / is it much of an issue?

Secondly I’m planning on selling the house anyway soon, is this something I should have to declare? The area is pretty desirable for young couples and it’s a really safe place for kids to play / good schools near by so attracting potential pregnant women is quite possible…

I can imagine the sales pitch; “Great location, period features, good schools, selection of great local hipster bars, sun trap garden of an evening but don’t touch the soil or you’ll have a miscarriage!”

wilburt
    Free Member

IME local facebook groups are full of more **** than your garden sounds.

devash
    Free Member

Jeyes Fluid FTW.

maccruiskeen

It never ended well for Tommy.

Unless you also have AIDS then you’ve nothing to worry about.

Its bad news for rats and cats but you and the potential buyers of your house are humans. You could have Toxoplasmosis already – you wouldn’t notice. About 1 in 10 people have it. In some parts of the world 95% of the population carry it and they’re all oblivious. All the cats in the neighbourhood might have caught it from you.

You monster!

scruff9252

I tend not to deficate in my garden, so unlikely to be the culprit.

Just looking for calibration around where I should be on the give-a-shit-ometer.

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8[/video]

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I guess I’m one of the unlucky ones then. I have Ocular Toxoplasmosis-at some point in my early life I ingested it somehow/somewhere and it found a nice cozy home in my left eye and has taken some of my vision.I’m hoping it never wakes from it’s sleepy again,as it has done around 4 times so far.
    If you know for sure that the infected cat is/has been frequenting your garden,maybe take sensible precautions-don’t eat vegs/herbs grown out there and wash your hands after gardening.From what I’ve read it can survive in soil for around a year.
    Don’t get too paranoid about it as you can get this from many many sources,maybe from the food already in your own fridge.It’s a well adapted clever little bugger.

Sandwich

Live trap the cats and then empty your full bladder over them. It tends to discourage them from re-offending.

Failing that borrow a cat hating Husky and let it free roam the garden. There will be some further cat debris to remove but the problem will be gone. (NB make sure said Husky is up to date with worming treatment).

kimbers

No idea how to get rid of the bug , but to deter the cats

Takes a while but they learn to stop crapping in your garden ( we had a tiny darden in London, which meant 5 cat poos and it was quickly unpleasant, especially with kids

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘toxoplasmosis outbreak – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.