Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Towing a trailer with cx bike?
  • ChrisA
    Free Member

Morning guys

Bought a croozer for our little one earlier in the month, anyone tried towing theirs with the cross bike?

I know n+1 should apply but I’ve got a garage full of road & cx bikes with no mountain bike. Anyone found any problem towing with the cx bike or should I just consider getting an old runabout to tow the trailer with?

Bregante

I can’t see why it would be a problem. I towed my little one around in a trailer on my Croix De Fer without any problems at all. As you’re unlikely to be doing anything too rough or technical with a small child in tow I’d say it’s the perfect combination.

Edit: this, however

a garage full of road & cx bikes with no mountain bike.

This is just wrong.

m0rk
    Free Member

You need to build yourself a future proof drag your kid about bike.

It’s logical

hatter

My Croix De Fer was pretty much built up with ‘Chariot tractor’ at rhe top of its to do list.

Most of my riding is on the road and discs and bigger tyres are definitely a good idea to prevent that runaway bike feeling on descents.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I used to use my cx bike almost exclusively with the Chariot when my kleine Sterne were of that age. It is easier to forget just how bumpy it is for the contents of said trailer on a mtb. My cx bike was with cantis and I’m not sure if there are adapters for through axles for the hitch.

Stoner
    Free Member

I used my pompetamine with the croozer trailer on holidays. Not quite a CX bike, but it had to be a do it all bike for the weeks away.

Never any problems.

northernmatt

Yup, you’ll be fine. Towed our croozer with an Arkose and a fatty and a 29er and a rigid singlespeed. The singlespeed was hard work on the hills.

Sundayjumper

I can’t even imagine why it *wouldn’t* work, unless it had weird shaped dropouts, and even then there would be a way to make it work.

We’ve used our trailer (a cheapo one) with hardtail MTB & on a road tandem. No problem.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No mountain bike? Now there’s your problem!!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Surly cross check with alfine 8 gearing here. Used for towing trailer and now tagalong. Works a treat, can take a beating and doesn’t mind getting a few knocks.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’d probably plump to use the croix de fer too I think so it’s good that some of you have too!

Are you running flat pedals or clipless? I was thinking of running 35mm land cruisers too for maximum puncture proof.

Even if I bought a new mountain bike, I’d only use it for towing & a few enduro’s that I could probably do on the cx bike these days!

benp1

I used my arkose for towing my trailer

I have double sided pedals meaning I can use SPDs or normal shoes, usually used the latter when pooling around with the kids

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Cx will be fine. Use the same here unless I know it’s going to be very hilly for which I will use the mountain bike for easier gearing.

On spds as its my commuting bike but if it was a gentle day ride I would put flats on.

Just watch if you have discs and the trailer has a safety cord attachment like chariots which loops around the stays. Not to teach you to suck eggs but best secure it in case it gets caught in the disc.

Saccades
    Free Member

Used a pompino with an alfine, only time I struggled was when I had slicks on and was on a muddy steep path and wheelspan everywhere.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Towing a trailer with cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.