Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Towing a caravn with a campervan…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

this isn’t a 3rd world problem !

So we have a 30 year old VW campervan that we use all the time, its a 2 birth, so as the children are now older we have to use a tent, I purchased a classic eriba caravan last year and have spent the winter getting it ready etc…

Here’s my 3rd world problem is it a bit excessive to be using both ? Looks cool, my friends think I’m mad

It tows it no problem

Oh and were off to Holland for 2.5 weeks in the summer taking both…

I’m undecided !

Thoughts please

the-muffin-man

Worst of both (3rd) worlds!

And get one or the other re-sprayed – looks a terrible match my dear fellow.

sweepy
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll get about 25ft per gallon

Junkyard
    Free Member

No offence but it shows up how poor a campervan the VW is …it needs a caravan to be usable so its not up to the one task it is meant to do.

If you are at this point better to sell the van and get a car, for the caravan, IMHO

Watched mates struggle with the same dilemma and same van.

The tipping point for them was when the kids left home for uni and they saw how long it took and how much it cost to do trips in the van to see them so they got a car,

YMMV

perchypanther
    Free Member

All together now…. “Chuggington…Chugga Chugga Chugga Chugga Chuggington” 😀

wwaswas

needs more co-ordiantion;

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I like.

Suppose if you sell the van and get a car then you’ll have to buy a bigger caravan or a tent to supplement the lost sleeping area of the van.

Once you arrive at your destination you can leave the caravan and still have a day van with kitchen facilities for extended day trips.

It will be slow but is your leisure time really a race?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…we have a Passat estate with tow bar as well !

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Pretty common round here, i know of three or four people who do similar. Either vans towing caravans, or campers towing caravans. Or towing trailers.
    Give you more options. Especially with a family. And bikes.
    Can do long trips, short trips, biking trips, drinking trips and tailor the vehicle to suit.

It’s a two berth, so it probably does the job it’s designed to do quite well.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’ll be slow but as long as the engine doesn’t overheat I don’t see the problem. You’re not exactly going to be “making progress” with a caravan anyway are you? Having a heavier tow vehicle and lighter trailer should keep things a bit safer too.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That looks like it should be the start of ‘classic’ episode of Terry and June

momo

I don’t really see the problem, it expands the sleeping room of your existing van and will provide you/the kids a bit of privacy at night.

rickmeister

What would Clarkson say ?

spooky_b329

There is only one thing more fustrating than being stuck behind a camper & caravan…

…and thats a camper & horsebox 🙂

himupstairs

That looks ace that does. I’m jealous.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s a two berth, so it probably does the job it’s designed to do quite well.

Fair point but so does an estate boot and you cannot stand up in that either 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I would go with a more modern van but other than that it makes sense. You are limited to 60mph dual and 50mph single carriageway anyway so it doesnt really matter if you are in a car or a van and I wonder if the drag of the caravan is lower with a van upfront. Weight of the van is higher too so more stable and plenty of room for bikes. You could also get away with a smaller caravan than if using a car but still have a compact van for daily driving and day trips with plenty of room for bikes etc inside. You can also lock the bikes in at night.

Thing that puts me off VWs and the like is no bathroom. you can live with it in summer and in remote places but a bathroom is nice to have on a road trip.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks for replies

now I need to work out where to put stuff !

bedding Food etc cooking in caravan, clothes and valuables in van

molgrips
    Free Member

Wait – that’s an air-cooled engine?

Lol.. book all your holidays in Norfolk from now on!

Flog that daft thing, spend the proceeds on a 4 berth van and put it on the Passat. The experience will be better, I guarantee. You’ve lost any camper van advantage with the caravan on the back, and you’ll be holding people up far more than if you use the Passat.

PS putting bikes in a caravan is a PITA.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

It’s not air cooled (been there done that) it’s a 1.7 oil burner (diesel) KY Engine which was made for German government vehicles (army, police, post office etc)

Sits at 55mph on the flat hills not so great !!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

With the van or without?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

…we have a Passat estate with tow bar as well !

Mmm I would sell the VW and eriba and get a bigger caravan. Forget classic forget ‘cool’ go for comfort and luxury. You’ll not look back.

molgrips
    Free Member

And you’ll be able to stand up!

zokes
    Free Member

It tows it no problem

Be sure to check this with the 100 or so frustrated motorists who will be stuck behind you

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Fair point but so does an estate boot and you cannot stand up in that either

anagallis_arvensis

Love those Eriba vans

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You can’t even sit up in an estate boot, and you have to unpack and repack every time you want to go to sleep.

Last time i did a long race weekend in an estate car we went to the nearest camping shop after we’d finished racing on the saturday and bought a tent.

And i have no idea where that previous post of mine came from. I closed the browser before posting.

maccruiskeen

I’ve had a chat with the United Nations and they’ve agreed to escalate your ‘Third World Problem’ to ‘Second World’

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    I’ve had a chat with the United Nations and they’ve agreed to escalate your ‘Third World Problem’ to ‘Second World’

Many thanks

globalti
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with that VW bus…. it’s the most popular (or hated) vehicle in Nigeria as you can pack about 20 people inside:

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Towing a caravn with a campervan…’ is closed to new replies.