Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Towing a caravan in tomorrow's wind – would you?
  • TheFlyingOx

Just wondering. I’m in the Lakes, travelling to Scotland. Contract has finished, I’m coming home. Forth Road Bridge likely to be shut so if I make it that far I’ll be coming over the Kincardine Bridge. I *could* leave the ‘van here but it’ll be at least a month before I can get back to collect it and there’s no guarantee the weather will be any better in a month.

Talk me in to/out of it with your tales of derring-do/disaster.

scruff9252

Wind guru is forecasting sustained gusts of 35-44kts all day, best part of a force 9 and continuing through Friday. Doesn’t sound like a fun drive to me.

matt_outandabout

Leave now?

andyl
    Free Member

can you avoid motorways and the bridge?

TheFlyingOx

I can do A6 for a while, which cuts out the horrible exposed bit going over Shap (mostly), and then A701/2 up to Edinburgh but then I’ll be doubling back away from the FRB most likely.

TheFlyingOx

I think if they’re the wind forecasts, scruff, I may just leave the ‘van here. I’ll have enough on getting just the car home in that.

jamesy01
    Free Member

You want to check out “Windy Wilsons Weather and Road Reports” on the Facebook.
    FWIW I’d leave the van where it is.

piemonster

“contract has finished”

And

“I’m in the lakes”

Ummm, hole up in the Lakes for a few days? Country pub fireplace need tending?

onehundredthidiot

What about a7. Less exposed up to the dug inn.

Still bloody blowy though, is it worth the risk. West and south Scotland to take the hit apparently. Island meteorologist advising folk to stay indoor on the islands, bet that doesn’t happen often.

scruff9252

I suspect Piemonster may have the best idea…

sweepy
    Free Member

Ummm, hole up in the Lakes for a few days? Country pub fireplace need tending?

There speaks the brains of the outfit, it’ll all be over by Saturday and you won’t have to go back.

convert

I suspect Piemonster may have the best idea…

Yep!

‘stuck’ in the Lakes for 24/48hrs – not exactly a toughy is it! Got a bike in the van, or a pair of walking boots? Or even just your drinking boots and a good book!

garage-dweller

Piemonster + another1

squirrelking
    Free Member

+1 that if its an option. Also worth seeing if South Queensferry is open again, last time I went over it was shut.

yetidave
    Free Member

the A90 was shut for a couple of weekends maintenance, but they finished early, and was open last weekend, so its only the wind you need to worry about. looks like the breeze isn’t going to kick in until about 3ish, so can you leave now and beat the rush?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Towing a caravan in tomorrow's wind – would you?’ is closed to new replies.