• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Heated towel rails
  • bearnecessities

What the ****?

No branding, no idea what makes a good one, just prices that vary massively for the ‘apparently’ same product?

STW, please, please, please, do what you’ve done before & just point me to something I can just click & buy.

Good quality, CH fed, ladder-type & circa 4/5ft high.

Stoner
    Free Member

dont get one! 🙂

A heated towel rail might warm your towels, it wont warm your room.

ta daaaaa!
    here’s ours

http://www.theradiatorcompany.co.uk/product_details/?catid=Oscar
    Get a rad to which towel bars can be fitted!

or a hybrid thingy

bearnecessities

That first pic is of a bathroom? 2 entrances? You and I are in different income bracket Sir.

That second pic makes me gag a bit of carrot up; sorry but that’s a horrible thing!

I’ve bought a half decent suite and just want to finish it off with a nice smart, ‘modern’ towel rail – it’s not exactly got a large area to heat, but being as removed a rad from the same spot, seems sensible to get one fitted there.

northernmatt

What he said ^^^^

Towel rails put out next to no heat, chrome ones are the worst. Just get a normal radiator and hang your towels on that.

somouk
    Free Member

I went for the one with the BTU closest to the radiator that was removed from the spot and it does an okay job of keeping the bathroom warm.

I had mine from screwfix and picked the one that was the right size, right colour and right BTU.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Like all fashion radiators – you need to pay attention to btus – its perfectly possibly to buy a big good looking radiator that wont heat the room.

My towel rail is more than adaquate for the room – but the towel rail its self is a big unit. , if you have a big monster bathroom stoner i can see why you would be struggling. I dont have a radiator that big in my whole house.

bearnecessities

*googles BTU*

It’s not to really heat the bathroom as such; it’s already a relatively warm room, but the big arsed radiator that was in there isn’t necessary, or vaguely attractive, hence wanting to replace with a towel rail.

EDIT: That BTU rating thingy is actually quite helpful thanks.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve got one. It’s called a Kudox. It’s electric though. Dunno what else to say really, it does keep the little bathroom warm, but then it’s always on.

This kind of thing

northernmatt

If you do get a CH fed one get an element to go in it as well. That way when it comes to summer you can have toasty warm towels without having to run the boiler.

bearnecessities

*Takes notes*

NM, Does that mean I need to get a leccy feed in there too I assume?

NZCol

We have electric ones and I wired in a 24hr controller that basiclaly turns it on for 2 hours in every 12. You reset it by turning the power off for 20 seconds then when you turn it back on it starts the 2hr window. Works perfectly and saves a bit of money.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes bear, you would need power to it – and regs say it will have to be on an RCD circuit too. Search for duel fuel rads and get one with a built in thermostat in the element. Also read the instructions as you need to close off the valves partially when you switch to electric after the CH has been switched off.

northernmatt

Yup, you’ll need electric in there but the elements are only about 400-600W so it’s not like wiring a shower in.

bearnecessities

Got all that. Lots more info than I knew an hour ago, thank you.

br
    Free Member

A heated towel rail might warm your towels, it wont warm your room.

It’s the only heating we’ve upstairs in our house, although the open floorboards and an AGA underneath probably help more 🙂

I like warm towels, the same way I like warm plates – a little bit of luxury for almost minimum effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Heated towel rails’ is closed to new replies.